“No extras in this hotel”

Sheraton Hanoi Hotel
Ranked #86 of 591 Hotels in Hanoi
Monza, Italy
“No extras in this hotel”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Sheraton Hanoi has spacious rooms that need some renovation; it's a little far from the downtown and you need to take a taxi to go and come back. Only some people of the staff are efficient and kindly. The breakfast is excellent for quality and assortment, but it is very expensive: I had not included the breakfast in the rate of my room: its cost for 2 people was abt 50 usd... when the cost of the room for 2 people was abt 70 usd! At check in they have also proposed an extra of 25usd/person to take an aperitive in the lounge! Pricing policy incomprehensible!

Room Tip: lake view, high floor, choose a rate with bkf included
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
tetsish, Manager at Sheraton Hanoi Hotel, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear "salgiam",

Thank you for choosing to stay at Sheraton Hanoi. We have noted down the pricing structure and will make a review of it. Thank you for your feedback as it will help us to improve and excel. The Sheraton Hanoi continuously seek feedback from guests so as to change and exceed guest expectations. We look forward to your next visit to Sheraton Hanoi and will warmly welcome you back to Sheraton Hanoi.

Executive Assistant Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 14 May 2014

1. Stayed a couple nights in Nov 2013 during my holiday in Hanoi.

2. The reception is friendly and warm. We arrived early than the check in time, the room was made available to us in short while.

3. The location of the hotel isn't too bad too as within short distant of walk, you can get a fair selection of local restaurant and food.

4. In general, the you expect from a 5 stars hotel, you will get it in Sheraton.

5. One drawback was my wife was complaining her lotion maybe used unauthorized. She said her lotion 3 quarter full when she left the room and found out it has only half full in the evening when we return to our room.

6. A recommendation that I like to make is perhaps the hotel can increase the frequency of shuttle.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with view of Ho Tay Lake. It is very beautiful in the morning.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear HongCL

Thank you for choosing to stay in the Sheraton Hanoi. We have noted your comments and will discuss on how we can improve on the frequency of the shuttle buses, The Sheraton does not condone any unprofessional behavior from the staff. Should your future travels bring you back to Hanoi, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Hanoi.

Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

2 times 1 night at the hotel as a entry/exit stop for Halong bay boat trip. Service was excellent. From the hotel own travel agency that booked our Halong Bay trip to the friendly staff at Chime bar. The swiming pool is also a refreshing oasis within the city center jungle.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Dear "Laurent S",

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Hanoi. It is great to hear you had a nice to stay and most importantly our stay took care of you. We look forward to your next visit back to the Sheraton Hanoi and will warmly welcome you back.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Great value place as we paid so very little for this hotel.
We were only here for 2 nights so we didn't really see the pool or use much of the facilities.
Overall -- the rooms are dated.
The lobby looked dull.
And the front desk looked cheap.
Workout room was nice.
The exterior looked really pretty.

The one thing that really stood out was a mix up that happened. Don't ask me how this happened but after returning from a day tour, we returned to our room and found that almost all my clothes were "laundered" without my knowledge.

I called the front desk immediately and initially it appeared that things were being taken care of. They said they understood that that I did not request or place any garments in the laundry bag and would follow up with housekeeping.

I called back 10 minutes later and the same clerk suddenly would not remove the charges from my bill and said that he would send someone to talk to me.

A manager came to our room and explained that someone had requested laundry service. I told them that it was impossible that I asked for laundry service that morning as we were out on a tour that the hotel had arranged. How could I have asked for laundry service around 9am when I had just arrived to Hanoi with clean clothes and that I was out since 8am in the morning on a tour around Hanoi. I didn't not have a cell phone so I could not have called the hotel even if I wanted things to be laundered.

This was rather confusing...and I expected the manager to say that it was a mistake and he would remove it....but instead he asked if he could discount the bill 50% off, would that be acceptable. And I said, it was not as 1) I didn't request laundry service 2) it was rather strange that someone had gone through my personal items 3) they accidentally laundered things that were dry clean only that didn't even need washing 4) they even took new clothes with the tags on.

I was not happy of course...and let me tell you that the laundry bill was in the hundreds(USD) as they must have cleaned at least 2 dresses, 3 to 4 blouses, 4 pants, 1 skirt, 1 short, all my "intimates", 2 t shirts and on and on....it was a lot of stuff. Oh well. They removed it but it took several minutes or back and forth conversation.

I understand that in a foreign country, miscommunication happens so I rated the hotel on it's hotel value, location and merit but I'm sure that this is something that should be rectified.

Lastly, when booking tours, I would not recommend the concierge. Our tour was okay and sort of expensive given that we heard others were more reasonable. What I didn't like was though we paid a good amount through the hotel at $50 per person for 3 hour tour, it was really 2.5 hours as we requested a lunch break. Furthermore, I really really did not like the fact that the tour operator/guide insisted that I tip the cyclo driver, the driver of the private car and herself. Not only was I going to tip them but she actually told me what I should tip which I think should be a reflection of the service not a set amount. Very disappointed.

The best thing about this place is that Westlake is beautiful and I would stay in the area for sure.
There is a lovely bakery around the corner.

Room Tip: Once again, try to be a Starwood Preferred guest. There are lots of good perks. Try to face the lake...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear "langannton",

We want to first sincerely apologize for the incident on your clothing. We have investigated the incident and could have better managed the situation. We will need to do more training based on this scenario and move forward to excel. Here at the Sheraton, we are focused on top quality service and guest satisfaction. Once again we sincerely apologize. We hope you do not judge us on this one occasion.

We look forward to warmly welcoming you back to Sheraton Hanoi

Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 12 May 2014

my party of four stayed at the sheraton hanoi for three nights a couple of weeks ago and were very much impressed by the hotel itself and by the service. a front desk clerk named nam was especially helpful, even granting us a late checkout until 4 pm; he also advised us of a special rate that included breakfast and wifi, which saved us a lot of money. the free shuttle service around the city was a happy bonus, and the breakfast buffet was scrumptious, with lots of choices. hanoi itself is a terrific city to visit, full of bargains and sights, and the west lake area around the hotel is good for long lakeside walks which can be broken with a cup of coffee or a bottle or two of beer. would do this all over again ;)

Room Tip: get a high level room overlooking the lake. also, the sheraton club room on the 17th floor offers fr...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear "Qwertyman54"

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Hanoi. It is great to hear our staffs made your stay warm and comforting. They have shown the culture of Sheraton Hanoi; going the extra step to exceed guest expectations. We look forward on your next visit to Sheraton Hanoi and will warmly welcome you back.

West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Lovely stay with our daughters, 4 and 2. Staff couldnt have been better, genuinely friendly service, good food in the lobby, nice selection in the club lounge. Cabs from the front of the hotel for the short trip into the Old Quarter very convenient. Bit of a hike to the gym. Pool a bit dated but fine. All in all an excellent stay.

Room Tip: Those overlooking the lake are nice.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear "mark c"

Thank you for your comments. We delighted to hear you and your daughters had a lovely stay with us. The staffs always go the extra step in terms of service to assist the guest genuinely. At Sheraton Hanoi, our aim is to provide all of our guests a warm and comforting stay. We look forward on your next visit back and Sheraton Hanoi and will warmly welcome you back.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I stayed in Sheraton for a business conference. I enjoyed the hotel and it's facilities a lot. Room was very comfortable and not humid. Pool is nice and refreshing. I stayed in a club room on one of the top floors with a wonderful view over Hanoi west Lake area. I also enjoyed the club lounge tasty snacks, cocktail hours, and attentiveness of the club lounge staff. I would like to specially thank one of the employees: Ms. Duong Thuy Linh, she was truly amazing with her hospitality, attention and kindness, she made me feel very much like home.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear "KNataliaV",

We are delighted to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us. It is great that you enjoyed the food fare in the hotel. All our staff are our assets as they deliver top quality service and giving our guest a warm and comforting stay. We look forward to warmly welcoming you back to the Sheraton Hanoi.