“Nice, but not spectacular” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sheraton Hanoi Hotel

Sheraton Hanoi Hotel
Ranked #83 of 578 Hotels in Hanoi
San Francisco, CA
“Nice, but not spectacular”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2009

I'm a Starwood fan, and have stayed at dozens of Starwood properties from NYC to Bali, San Francisco to Madrid.

The Sheraton Hanoi is exactly as another review described - could be anywhere in the U.S. with a few Asian accents thrown in.

My rating is "average," because the hotel was adequate, clean, comfortable - but it did not exceed my expectations.

The staff is friendly, but not warm. The rooms are nice, but not luxurious. Breakfast is good, room service is okay.

The spa is not worth a visit - it is not a dayspa, but rather a collection of masage rooms...to my surprise the same person gave me a facial, maniucre, pedicure, and massage - typically these treatments are handled by specialists.

If you can find a compelling rate - the hotel is worth it. If you are looking for something a bit more upscale (and in a better location) the Metropole would be my choice.

• Liked — Consistent mid-range Sheraton service, breakfast
  • Disliked — Consistent mid-range Sheraton service, spa
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank taotei

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Vietnamese first
Rome, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2009

Sheratano Hanoi ,

waht can I say ... in my opinion is not the best exerience i have had with Sheraton Hotels.

For the first time as a Gold member of Starwood Preferred Guest , instead of having an upgrade I had a "downgrade" wich I understand the second day of my stay. Whwn I arrived they have change the room number that was written on my file and gave me onother room.

During the first night around 3 am , I had to call the reception becouse in my room there was a big noise but I cannot understad from where it comes. Than we understand that was the elevetaor than when goes up and/or down made such a biug noise ( my room was very close to elevator) and the person of the front desk immediately understand that this was the problem ( so they totaly knows about this noise with the room close to the elevator)

The day after I changed my room far from the elevator and I recognized, that the number was on the side of the room that they had changed from my file when I arrived., and the view was totaly better ( as also the boy form the hotel informed me!!)

So , I can say a very good tratment for a Gold SPG = a noise room and with a not the best view!!!1

That except this hotel was nice, breakfast was avarage and also in my opinion not the best I have had in other Hotel of this kind in Asia , and as others wrote far from the center. This could be a vantange or a disadvantage!! it depends on You.

On my side, Yes you are out of the crowded city but it looks a little disappointed that you need to have a taxi for going everywhere.

So not my best experience

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank shoalebay
Falkirk, Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2008

We stayed for three nights as part of an Indochina tour and were delighted with the standard of this hotel. The decor was lovely and the staff very friendly and helpful. We stayed on the club floor which had a nice private lounge, but to be honest the main public areas of the hotel were really nice and we were happy to use them as well. The hotel is a bit out from the town centre so it meant transport to get there but that was cheap and no problem. I would happily stay there again.

• Liked — The friendly and helpful staff
  • Disliked — The location, although it was not a problem
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
Victoria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2008

Earlier this month, we stayed at the Sheraton Hanoi for 2 nights -SPG points plus US$60 per night.

What a great place to escape! To give this some context, we were there on the last 2 nights of our Vietnam trip and was a bit over the crowds, the noise, the pollution and the hot, sticky weather. The Sheraton is located away from the 'heart' of Hanoi, but for our purposes, we didn't care and spent the whole day in the hotel.

The good:

1. large, clean, comfortable rooms;

2. the weekend free-flowing Moet brunch. For around US$38, you can stuff your face from an amazing spread and drink all the Moet you desire over 3 hours. After 10 days of spring rolls and fish sauce, this was one of the highlights of my trip!

3. free internet access in a quiet corner off the lobby - technically you're meant to have 45 minutes free, but no-one counting... new computers and fast connection.

The okay:

1. the day spa. The room was really small and they didn't seem to have a couples room. Also, as I was being led into the room, the girl opened the door and my masseuse was actually having a nap on the massage table! The massage rooms were also right next to the men's showers, which means you can hear everything going on in there - there were lots of phlemmy men taking long showers on the day I was there! Hardly relaxing when you can hear someone coughing up and spitting out phlem every 10 minutes. Apart from that, the massage itself was very good.

The not so good:

1. the airport taxi to the hotel was US$16 (the official rate). When we were leaving, we asked about catching a taxi to the airport. The hotel said the trip back to the airport costs US$18 (we asked why and they kinda said it just is). Anyway, they said it was US$18 for the 'hotel taxi'. We couldn't be bothered querying this, so we went with it. The taxi was old and small and the driver was a maniac driver. We didn't have exact change, so we handed over more than the agreed price, expecting change. He took the money with a big grin and made no effort to give us change. When we stood there waiting for our change, he starting scowling and very reluctantly gave us change, with a very surly look on his face.

2. dirty windows. Okay, I'm nit-picking now, but the lovely view of West Lake is not as lovely when the windows have loads of cobwebs on the outside with dead insects trapped in them. Seriously, the windows were filthy!

Tips:

1. for the brunch buffet, get there when it starts (11:30). The food (especially the hot or grilled food) is still fresh then, but tastes a lot less exciting at 1:00... And don't touch the oysters. I had some and they tasted great - really fresh. But I was sick with signs of food poisoning a few days later. It may or may not have been the oysters, but they seem the likely culprit;

2. don't book tours with the hotel travel desk - the prices are way inflated. The same overnight Halong Bay cruise which we paid US$285 for, they were charging US$500 for.

All in all, a great place to stay - would definitely recommend.

• Liked — The food, the service and the room were all quality!
  • Disliked — Unprofessional hotel taxi driver and crappy vehicle.
  • Stayed October 2008
1 Thank hmhmhm
Orlando
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2008

My husband and I traveled to Hanoi in April 2008 to complete the adoption of our youngest daughter. We were in Vietnam for a total of 14 days and spent 10 of those days at the Sheraton.

The entire staff - from the front desk to laundry to housekeeping - were FANTASTIC. I cannot say enough great things about them -- they pampered us and our daughter and were very tearful when it was time for us to leave. We received several hand written notes thanking US for our kindness and how much they enjoyed watching our family bond!

Every request was met with a smile and PROMPT service. We brought an adapter but it did not fit -- within 5 minutes of our request -- we had 2 brought to our room.

The beds are SUPER comfortable and the sheets are incredibly soft. The cleanliness of the room was top notch!

The buffet (breakfast, lunch and dinner) was ALWAYS excellent -- very fresh foods and everything was delicious. We were never disappointed during our entire stay.

The spa was wonderful!!! We both indulged in massages and the staff was so incredibly professional and kind.

The doormen were VERY helpful during our stay as well. There were several times when taxi drivers were attempting to charge us too much for our rides and they intervened and assisted us.

I cannot say enough GREAT things about this hotel. We have traveled all over the world and this hotel is near the very top of the best we've stayed in -- this is in LARGE part to the tremendous staff.

When we return to Hanoi -- we will most certainly visit this hotel again.

• Liked — The Staff
  • Disliked — Location is a not in city center - but that is helpful for the noise level
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank RnToTravel
South Orange, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2008

We started our Honeymoon at the Sheraton Hanoi. We were upgraded to a Suite, which as really beautiful. The room is traditional in its decor, minus some of the Vietnamese touches, you could be in Cleveland, Ohio. That being said, the hotel was very nice, super clean, friendly and knowledgeable staff and a great gym. The gym was on par with any health club I have been to in New York City. The breakfast buffet was terrific, but pricey if it not included in your rate. The breakfast buffet included western and asian styles and was very high quality. We did not eat any other meals in the Hotel since Hanoi has some of the best restaurants and street food in Vietnam. My only complaint was that it was far from the old city and far from the French Quarter. You needed to take a taxi ride everywhere. The taxi's were very, very cheap so this was not an issue, it was more a matter of convenience. Again, if you use your SPG points it is a great place to stay.

• Liked — The upgrade to a Suite
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
Hobart, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2008

The Hotel was lovely. The staff and especially the door girls ( who opened the front doors every time you came near ) were very friendly and helpful. They sprang to help at the slightest hint you might need something, from organized a taxi to help about where to eat.
The pool was nice but the water was very warm not surprisingly as it was very hot and humid all day.
The rooms were very comfortable and had large marble bathrooms.
The breakfast was a huge buffet with everything you could possibly want.

• Liked — Comfort and friendliness
  • Disliked — Warm pool
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple