“Great Service and Location”

Splendid Star Grand Hotel
Ranked #28 of 591 Hotels in Hanoi
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Great Service and Location”
Reviewed 10 September 2012

My partner and I picked this hotel out of a list provided by AirAsiaGo.com. This boutique hotel hidden away in the convoluted back lanes of Hanoi's Old Quarter is a gem. Although it would be unfair to compare it with a five star hotel, its clean room and friendly service makes it a bargain for any discerning traveller. The hotel manager is very friendly and approachable, and certainly very helpful in arranging the various day trips which my partner and I went on. At least he understood and was able to converse in English, which was more than I can say for the general populace of Hanoi. My advice would be to have the Hotel's business card ready to show the taxi drivers should you need a quick means to return to the Hotel. The food served at the Hotel during breakfast is above average and makes for a good start for any day trip. All in all I would recommend this hotel to anyone contemplating a trip to Hanoi. I would personally use this hotel again, when next I take a holiday in Hanoi.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank YoonLin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 30 August 2012

We stayed in Splendid Star 2 Grand Hotel for our trip in Hanoi. And I can say that it was a good choice. Martin, the multi-tasker hotel manager is very friendly, easygoing, funny and accommodating. He gladly told us the tourist spots and how to get there. He also recommended a nice and cheap restaurant. When we asked where the church is, he even brought us there. He also gave us many useful tips like what the good taxis are. He's good at what he does.

As for the hotel, it is has a good location and just near the shops, restos and walking distance from the Hoan Kiem lake. The room is big enough and looks very Vietnamese in terms of design. It's always clean. And the basic necessities are there. Free wifi. Yummy breakfast food included - you can freely order until you're full. You wont find a pool or fitness center there, but that's okay since most of your time will most probably be spent outside exploring Hanoi.

Overall, we had a good experience in this hotel. It's great for backpackers, families, young couples or solo travelers.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 26 August 2012

After having a hard, stressful week of traveling around Vietnam, my husband and I checked into the Splendid Star Grand Hotel in Hanoi. We were so pleased; unlike some of the other hotel experiences we've had in Asia, we felt great here.
Staff was trustworthy, very friendly and helpful with a good knowledge of English. They made you feel like your stay and comfort was important to them. Everything was made convenient: they are able and willing to set up everything you need from expeditions, airport drop-off/pickup, etc.
The rooms are very western: clean, air-conditioned and decorated nicely. The hotel is located in an excellent spot- a short walking distance from all the tourist spots in the city.

Needless to say, we were very pleased with our experience in Splendid Star Grand Hotel and would recommend it to any person, couple or family wanting a comfortable and safe place to stay in Hanoi.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Bergen, Norway
Reviewed 23 August 2012

We originally booked at the Spendid Star Suite Hotel for one night only, as we were off to Halong Bay the next morning. We based our booking on Tripadvisor reviews, and decided to try what you get for such a low price and so many positive reviews.

We arrived late at our hotel for a short night. Initially we were a little concerned by the location in a narrow alley, but as it turned out, we had nothing to fear. Two friendly reception assistants with limited English knowledge, manned the desk. There was a few phone calls and running back and forth for a few minutes. But then Mr. Martin showed up with a BIG smile and a great attitude! Turns out they operate hotels in four separate buildings, each a different hotel name, but apparently the same owner (at least that was my understanding). Thus we were escorted trough the first hotel onto the street behing and into the Spledid Star Grand Hotel. While Mr. Martin took our information, out bags were carried to our room.

As a family with two children, we got a family room with two large double beds. Everything was exactly as described on Tripadvisor. The A/C slightly "worn", a loose door knob etc. All minor stuff. The room was clean and adequate. The bathroom also clean with all the necessary amenities. Our room was on the 5th floor, but there is an elevator. Obviously this is more of a budget hotel, and the standard is lower than major chain hotels. Still you get it all at a great low price in different surroundings; free internet, breakfast etc. In the morning, the back alley, in which the hotel is situated, was transformed to a busy fish market. That's authentic old quarter for you! The only minor drawback is that a taxi cannot access the street during normal business hours, but I am sure the staff would help get you and your luggage to the nearby main street.

The staff is nice and very helpful. They offered to keep excess luggage at the hotel while we went on a Halong cruise - even if were not staying with them upon our return to Hanoi! My wife has gluten allergy, and they went out of their way to accomodate her. Also important is the fact that my family felt safe and cared for at the hotel.

We did not stay at Splendid Star Grand Hotel upon our return to Hanoi, but on our last day we discovered that we had left an item at the our room there. We called over, and they confirmed they had found it. When we got there to pick it up on the way to the airport, it turned out the housekeeper had it, and she was not there. We had to rush off to the airport. Half way there the cab drivers phone rang (don't ask me how they found our cab.....), and we were told they had sent someone after us to the airport with the item. In the end we did not get the item, but my point is that there seems to be no limit to their aim to please (I wouldn't be surprised if the item turns up in the mail one day)!

Thanks Mr. Martin, you are a find, and there should be more of your kind at many hotels. Your multitasking talent, made sure many people felt like the only, and most valued guest, at the same time! We have stayed at a fair amount of upscale hotels and resorts over the years. While they may have a bunch of stars, many of them lack the personal touch that makes tou feel at home.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Carl H
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Last night I arrived late in the pouring rain and my cab had a flat tire a few blocks from the hotel. I was in a bit of a panic because I was not sure we were in the right place and I would have to walk with my stuff in the rain. I called the hotel and they had Martin come out and meet me in the street with an umbrella. Martin immediately put me at ease and the service has been so comforting and relaxed ever since. The room is also very nice, quiet and clean. The location is great and I can't imagine booking anywhere else!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Julia B
Hoi An, Vietnam
Reviewed 1 August 2012

This is a small wonderful handy to everything Hotel.
Martin the young manager and his asistant are amazing. Martin goes way out of his way to make your stay wonderful. Great advice and help with where to go and what to do. Great breakfasts.
We meet people that came back because of the service.
We really enjoyed our stay and will be back.
Ray young

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank rayandjenni
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed 1 August 2012

Found our stay great, staff were very easy going.. very honest which is what we were looking for as Hanoi can be a little alarming at first was very reassuring to actually know they had our better intrests at hand which is a rare thing to find in any country..

Would come back and stay anytime ..
the staff go out of there way to help you and can be trusted!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends