“My wonderful backpack experience”

Splendid Star Grand Hotel
Ranked #27 of 580 Hotels in Hanoi
Ontario
“My wonderful backpack experience”
Reviewed 29 December 2009

I decided to go to Hanoi on a whim and chose Splendid hotel after reading the recommendations online. It turned out to be extremely close to what I expected. The room is always very clean and tidy, as it is comparable to what we have in Holiday Inn in Canada :) Staff is extremely friendly and helpful in giving guides about visiting Hanoi. Throw away your tourist guide book because it is much better to ask the locals! The location is very good as it is central and near all other destinations of interests like shopping centers, the Sword Lake, the church and various other restaurants. During my stay, high speed Internet enables me to keep connected to my friends back home. Can't imagine I got so much experience out of a considerably reasonable price I paid. Awesome! I saw some of the reviews so I decided to write my little contribution too. 5 Stars for the staff and the hotel!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
ho chi minh city
Reviewed 24 December 2009

I went to stay at Splendid for 2 weeks for leisure with my vietnamese fiance. The reason why I chose it because I stayed there before and had good experience with the hotel and the people. It was also the place where I met my fiance. I moved to Vietnam for work 2 years ago and was instantly in love with the country and the people. I would recommend you to stay at Splendid because the service was really good. You could have the friendly staff arrange your tour and extra services at reasonable price. I personally liked the location of the hotel. was a bit hard to find for some of my friends but well.. It was the whole point. The hotel was near to the only church in Hanoi. The night life around the area was awespiring... If you have a budget constraint and cannot afford Hilton, Splendid is strongly recommended to you.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lovevn
Singapore
Reviewed 24 December 2009

The hotel is in a small quiet lane. The first impression of the hotel was not too good as the airport transfer could not bring us to the door step of the hotel. However after we started to interact with the hotel staff, the services was good and helpful.

We stayed in the hotel for 5 days 4 nights and had enjoyed the stay. The rooms were clean and very comfortable. The hotel staff were very friendly, and make it feel like home. The location of the hotel was also very good, it has lots of good local eating places as well as restaurants.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
Woodlands
Reviewed 23 December 2009

This is really, as they promote it, a family-run hotel. It has only about a dozen rooms but is new and well maintained. The prime advantage of staying here is its location. The city centre is within walking distance and there are many good restaurants and shops nearby. We were suprised to find that every room has its own PC with free internet access. Note though that it is not elderly-friendly (or wheelchair-friendly) as it has staircases on split levels and vehicles cannot come to the entrance as it is located on a narrow street. The food outlet has a limited menu and is patronised by guests mainly for breakfast. Be prepared also for street and other noise as the rooms are not sound-proofed. However, we enjoyed our stay there as the staff were very hospitable. Their staff, in particular - Jennifer and Peter, will ensure that you are well attended to always.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
singapore
Reviewed 14 December 2009

Stayed 3 nights at Splendid Star 2 !!
The hotel is in an excellent location; near to shops-food, the Lake. Hidden just 20 steps on a side road from the Cathedral, you cannot get cosier anywhere else in Hanoi that is quiet and accessible.
Thanks to Jennnifer and the team at the hotel, helpful and friendly.
Enjoyed my stay and will be returning soon!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
California
Reviewed 5 December 2009

Splendid Star 2 was by far the best place we stayed in Hanoi. The staff were fantastic! They were helpful and lots of fun. We spent 3 nights with them. The bathrooms were clean and modern, the beds comfortable and the rooms well furnished with creature comforts. The staff made our time in Hanoi very special. Andy found a fantstic place for us to good vietnamese food ( she even joined us for dinner). Peter gave my son and friend rides on his motorbike and took them to some of the local hang outs.
If we ever make it back we will stay at the Splendid Star 2.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Hanoi
Reviewed 4 December 2009

We spent 4 nights in this nice hotel with the caring and serviceminded personal. Excellent room with all facilities, space and clean. The location in the old quarters was perfect for us, and it was easy to explan for the taxidriver to go to the Josephs Cathedral, which is very close. The saff had a family performance which created a very nice atmosphere. We recommend this hotel to anyone going to Hanoi.
Two very greatful swedes.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple