“A Welcome Respite From the Chaos of Hanoi”

Splendid Star Grand Hotel
Ranked #25 of 586 Hotels in Hanoi
Eugene, Oregon
“A Welcome Respite From the Chaos of Hanoi”
Reviewed 2 January 2010

We just spent two nights at the Splendid Star 2, and it was a welcome respite from the chaos of the old quarter of Hanoi. We were given a free upgrade to the VIP room, room 601 and it was a fantastic room. Very modern, sleek, and upscale, we felt as if we were honored guests at this fine hotel. The staff were fantastic, always asking if there was more they could be doing to make our stay pleasant. Every staff member seemed to make it their job to please the guests of the hotel. Jennifer was wonderful in helping us plan our week in Vietnam, as we arrived in Hanoi from Luang Prabang, Laos. She really worked hard to ensure that our week was what we wanted, and shared her wealth of knowledge of travel in Vietnam. We left with a great itinerary and vouchers for our places to stay and plane tickets for flights within the country. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
KL
Reviewed 30 December 2009

My family and I really had a wonderful time and a memorable stay in Splendid Star 2. we stayed there for 5 days 4 nights. The hotel had a transport ready to pick us up from the airport once we came out from the airport. Special thanks to all the staffs, especially Jennifer, Peter and David, who were very friendly and warm and hospitable. They love our children and always play with them when they met them. Their service was excellent and the family room we stayed in on the 3rd floor was very spacious, modern, clean, nice, quiet and private. I love the room we stayed in because it was just as nice and as well kept and as clean as a 5 star hotel that I used to stay in. I loved the clean bathroom and immaculately clean tub and strong shower. My children loved the huge LCD TV in the room that offers a lot interesting channels, and Jennifer even offered my children cartoons CDs. We loved the free morning breakfast that was served in a café downstairs that was very modern, clean and cozy. Peter would serve my family with such dedication every morning that we would always remember his hospitability. I loved the continental breakfast, my children loved the Beef noodle soup and fried noodle. I enjoy spending my evening browsing on the PC in my room that also comes with free internet access.

The Hotel is nicely tucked away in an alley which filtered out all the traffic noises and dust. The double layered glass windows can effectively filtered away the sound outside the room (including the sweet church bell if you happen not to like it). Jennifer recommended us with 2 options for the tour to Ha long bay. We took the cheaper USD32 package and my family and I were more than satisfied with the overall service and tour. The Hotel is about less than 5 min walking distance away from the lake and it is surrounded by all the interesting shopping streets. We will certainly come back to this hotel again the next time we return to Vietnam and if you are like me being very fussy about cleanliness, noise, ambience, price and service, I strongly recommend you to look no further than Splendid Star 2.

1 Thank Jollypollykl
Ontario
Reviewed 29 December 2009

I decided to go to Hanoi on a whim and chose Splendid hotel after reading the recommendations online. It turned out to be extremely close to what I expected. The room is always very clean and tidy, as it is comparable to what we have in Holiday Inn in Canada :) Staff is extremely friendly and helpful in giving guides about visiting Hanoi. Throw away your tourist guide book because it is much better to ask the locals! The location is very good as it is central and near all other destinations of interests like shopping centers, the Sword Lake, the church and various other restaurants. During my stay, high speed Internet enables me to keep connected to my friends back home. Can't imagine I got so much experience out of a considerably reasonable price I paid. Awesome! I saw some of the reviews so I decided to write my little contribution too. 5 Stars for the staff and the hotel!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled solo
ho chi minh city
Reviewed 24 December 2009

I went to stay at Splendid for 2 weeks for leisure with my vietnamese fiance. The reason why I chose it because I stayed there before and had good experience with the hotel and the people. It was also the place where I met my fiance. I moved to Vietnam for work 2 years ago and was instantly in love with the country and the people. I would recommend you to stay at Splendid because the service was really good. You could have the friendly staff arrange your tour and extra services at reasonable price. I personally liked the location of the hotel. was a bit hard to find for some of my friends but well.. It was the whole point. The hotel was near to the only church in Hanoi. The night life around the area was awespiring... If you have a budget constraint and cannot afford Hilton, Splendid is strongly recommended to you.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lovevn
Singapore
Reviewed 24 December 2009

The hotel is in a small quiet lane. The first impression of the hotel was not too good as the airport transfer could not bring us to the door step of the hotel. However after we started to interact with the hotel staff, the services was good and helpful.

We stayed in the hotel for 5 days 4 nights and had enjoyed the stay. The rooms were clean and very comfortable. The hotel staff were very friendly, and make it feel like home. The location of the hotel was also very good, it has lots of good local eating places as well as restaurants.

Woodlands
Reviewed 23 December 2009

This is really, as they promote it, a family-run hotel. It has only about a dozen rooms but is new and well maintained. The prime advantage of staying here is its location. The city centre is within walking distance and there are many good restaurants and shops nearby. We were suprised to find that every room has its own PC with free internet access. Note though that it is not elderly-friendly (or wheelchair-friendly) as it has staircases on split levels and vehicles cannot come to the entrance as it is located on a narrow street. The food outlet has a limited menu and is patronised by guests mainly for breakfast. Be prepared also for street and other noise as the rooms are not sound-proofed. However, we enjoyed our stay there as the staff were very hospitable. Their staff, in particular - Jennifer and Peter, will ensure that you are well attended to always.

singapore
Reviewed 14 December 2009

Stayed 3 nights at Splendid Star 2 !!
The hotel is in an excellent location; near to shops-food, the Lake. Hidden just 20 steps on a side road from the Cathedral, you cannot get cosier anywhere else in Hanoi that is quiet and accessible.
Thanks to Jennnifer and the team at the hotel, helpful and friendly.
Enjoyed my stay and will be returning soon!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business