“excellent place to stay”

Splendid Star Grand Hotel
Ranked #28 of 578 Hotels in Hanoi
Hong Kong
“excellent place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2010

We stayed at this hotel for four nights, and we couldn't be happier. The location is perfect (200m from Hoan Kiem Lake), the room is spacious, clean and nicely furnished (with an in-room computer too), and the best part of all is the staff, who has been helpful and eager to serve.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2010

Spent 2 nites in SplendidStar in Hanoi with 4 gal pals n stayed in a family room. Room was very cute tho rather basic, hotel was located just a stone's throw away fr the cathedral, hidden just behind a lane. Surroundings were very authentic vietnamese,food vendors were all around, and some international selection for the less adventurous as well.

I think the highlight of this hotel were the staff. They were extremely friendly and ready to help. Breakfast was very nice as well!Fresh fruit juice, aunthentic local fare...all readily and promptly delivered!

If u are looking for something simple and clean with helpful staff, this hotel has my recommendation:)

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
Salem, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2010

From the minute they picked us up until they drove us back, the staff at Splendid Star 2 Hotel were the best hosts imaginable. When we arrived, they welcomed us with "Welcome home," and for the rest of the trip that is exactly how we felt. The rooms were spotlessly clean and comfortable, tea and coffee were provided in our room and in the small dining room, and our laundry was done and returned the same day. A nice breakfast was provided, which included fruit and fruit juice, coffee and tea, and a choice of fruit and yogurt, cereal, fried noodles with beef, beef noodle soup, sticky rice with fried pork, crab noodle soup, or a continental breakfast. No complaints at all about the breakfast.

The location was perfect for us, since we spent most of our time walking around the Old Quarter. It was also walking distance to the Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum, Hoan Kiem Lake, and the Temple of Literature. Peter recommended a couple of restaurants for us, and both were excellent.

One large plus and minus was the location near St. Joseph's Cathedral. One of the unexpected highlights of our trip was coming across the end of Sunday night mass at the cathedral as we returned to the hotel. The congregation was singing and holding candles, and it was lovely. On the other hand, the bells do ring frequently. We didn't mind this, in fact we enjoyed it. However, if you are a light sleeper, it could be a bother. Otherwise, this is an incredibly quiet hotel in a noisy city. The bells were the only sounds we heard.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2010

So i took my mom and dad for a holiday in Hanoi, Vietnam. The country is so nice and luckily we stayed in such a great hotel like Splendid star. My first impression of this hotel was that the staff there were so hospitable and helpful to us, they served us with a very responsible and friendly manner. The hotel generally looked small but its rooms were spacious and everything was available: air-con, wifi, refrigerator,etc... Most importantly, this hotel is located at a quiet place and we could really enjoy sleeping at night after a long tiring day. It is also super duper near to many popular places of attraction. It took us only 3-4 minutes to go to the famous old quarter of Hanoi for example. Staying in such a great hotel played a very important part in my wonderful trip to Hanoi. I DO recomend this hotels to travelling lovers!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
Newcastle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2010

I stayed in many hotels during my time in Vietnam and Splendid Star 2 was definitely the best by far. The rooms were big, clean and very modern. The staff customer service was the best I have ever come across travelling anywhere. They could not have been more helpful and spoke very good english. I wanted private tours arranged and this was done immediately and much cheaper than any travel agent could offer. Everything I asked for was granted. Could not recommend any other place for the best service and value for money. Thanks Guys, you made our trip!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
Eugene, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2010

We just spent two nights at the Splendid Star 2, and it was a welcome respite from the chaos of the old quarter of Hanoi. We were given a free upgrade to the VIP room, room 601 and it was a fantastic room. Very modern, sleek, and upscale, we felt as if we were honored guests at this fine hotel. The staff were fantastic, always asking if there was more they could be doing to make our stay pleasant. Every staff member seemed to make it their job to please the guests of the hotel. Jennifer was wonderful in helping us plan our week in Vietnam, as we arrived in Hanoi from Luang Prabang, Laos. She really worked hard to ensure that our week was what we wanted, and shared her wealth of knowledge of travel in Vietnam. We left with a great itinerary and vouchers for our places to stay and plane tickets for flights within the country. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
KL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2009

My family and I really had a wonderful time and a memorable stay in Splendid Star 2. we stayed there for 5 days 4 nights. The hotel had a transport ready to pick us up from the airport once we came out from the airport. Special thanks to all the staffs, especially Jennifer, Peter and David, who were very friendly and warm and hospitable. They love our children and always play with them when they met them. Their service was excellent and the family room we stayed in on the 3rd floor was very spacious, modern, clean, nice, quiet and private. I love the room we stayed in because it was just as nice and as well kept and as clean as a 5 star hotel that I used to stay in. I loved the clean bathroom and immaculately clean tub and strong shower. My children loved the huge LCD TV in the room that offers a lot interesting channels, and Jennifer even offered my children cartoons CDs. We loved the free morning breakfast that was served in a café downstairs that was very modern, clean and cozy. Peter would serve my family with such dedication every morning that we would always remember his hospitability. I loved the continental breakfast, my children loved the Beef noodle soup and fried noodle. I enjoy spending my evening browsing on the PC in my room that also comes with free internet access.

The Hotel is nicely tucked away in an alley which filtered out all the traffic noises and dust. The double layered glass windows can effectively filtered away the sound outside the room (including the sweet church bell if you happen not to like it). Jennifer recommended us with 2 options for the tour to Ha long bay. We took the cheaper USD32 package and my family and I were more than satisfied with the overall service and tour. The Hotel is about less than 5 min walking distance away from the lake and it is surrounded by all the interesting shopping streets. We will certainly come back to this hotel again the next time we return to Vietnam and if you are like me being very fussy about cleanliness, noise, ambience, price and service, I strongly recommend you to look no further than Splendid Star 2.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family