“STAY AWAY- COMPLETE RIP OFF! BE WARNED!”
Review of Bluestar Hotel

Bluestar Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hanoi
Bluestar Hotel
Ranked #390 of 580 Hotels in Hanoi
Bristol
“STAY AWAY- COMPLETE RIP OFF! BE WARNED!”
Reviewed 3 May 2011

Dont be fooled by the over friendly staff, they are out to rip you off when it comes to travel arrangements/tours. We paid 60USD each instead of the going rate ( which we discovered later) of 40-45USD for an open bus ticket and who knows how much we were over charged for Halong Bay! The hotel has several names- Blue Star Travel/ Backpackers Hotel/Moonshine- why do they need to keep changing their name, I wonder???

Room was actually OK, big but the bathroom was grotty and smelt of rotten eggs- not at all pleasant. Also family sleeping in the reception area and a lot of small children in the room downstairs- which could be noisy with crying.

Overall- not impressed, not at all professional and had the nerve to be soooo overly friendly to catch you when your guard is down.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Bangkok
Reviewed 31 May 2010

I am an exchage from Thailand and stay in Ho Chi Minh City for three months. I decided to traveI to Sapa and got the tour from Blue Star Hotel with my friend with 63$ per each(really expensive). We got the bad service bus and old hotel. My friend got a slab from the bus staff in Sapa also because my friend took a photo of her to complaint to her head office how badly she serviced to us. Then she got really angry and slab to my friend's face. I talked this story to the blue hotel but they didn't do anything to protecting the customer. Just say their sorry and then played the game on the computer. So do you think you will buy any tour from this hotel? You will never get the fact from this hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Hanoi hotels

Canberra
Reviewed 28 May 2010

Only stayed a few nights, but left with happy memories. The staff were very helpful and friendly and couldn't do enough for us. Cheap rooms, free internet, nice breakfast, cheap washing, vibrant neighbourhood and close to attractions. Budget travellers, you won't do much better than the Blue Star.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
New York
Reviewed 27 January 2010

The hotel was decent, nothing special. Do not pay more than $18 per night. There are many comparable hotels in the area for around $10 to $15 per night.

If you do decide to stay in the Bluestar Hotel, DO NOT book any tours with Mr. Hieu. He will overcharge you and pocket the difference between the actual tour cost and what he charges you. For example, I booked a tour of Halong Bay with him. I paid $75 for a "deluxe" room. Mr. Hieu said that a "standard" room would be $45. When I was on the tour, I asked everyone else what they paid and they had all paid only $45. I was travelling alone and my first introduction to the country was in Hanoi. I didn't realize how easy it was to book tours and hotels throughout the country so I booked my trip with Mr. Hieu. He booked me in the worst hotels that were very overpriced and inconveniently located - Sports Hotel in Hue and Grassland Hotel in Hoi An. In addition, I booked tours with Mr. Hieu and ended up paying WAY more than was charged to every other traveller. DO NOT book any tours Mr. Hieu, either in Hanoi or throughout the country. There are many tour shops throughout the country and no tour should cost more than $5. Mr. Hieu consistently charged me at least $20 more than actual tour price. He told me that I had to pay him in Hanoi (thereby locking in his profit). I asked him to refund me the difference between the actual tour price and the HUGE excess spread that he charged me. He refused.

Mr. Hieu takes advantage of travellers and should not be trusted. He may seem honest when you meet him but HE'S A SNAKE.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
Australia
Reviewed 3 January 2010

This hotel is probably all very good if you pay for the most expensive rooms, but if you're a traveller on a budget and get the USD$10 room, watch out!
We planned to stay here a week but left after one night, after being kept up all night by a loud, constant noise from upstairs which sounded like a washing machine or something like that. When we arrived, the bathroom light worked normally for like, 2 minutes then flickered consistently which was both annoying and made the bathroom totally useless as it was too dark to see anything. There's also some random secret room that's right behind the wardrobe- you can see gaps through from where a hole was cut out of the wall so that the person in that room can hear every single word of your conversation! The tv reception was very bad for all channels, and the orange towels they give you were damp and rank (probably not washed and just refolded). The water system also went down for about an hour so there was no showering or using the basin during that time.
Sure, the lobby looks clean and impressive upon entering but the rooms are what matters!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
hanoi
Reviewed 15 December 2009

Very nice people and they're so helpful with everything. Breakfast was also very nice. The rooms are comfortable and clean. We had a wonderful time!!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
Vietnam
Reviewed 21 November 2009

Ive stayed at the hotel for 2 days and the rooms were very nice. The best thing about the hotel was the staff though. They'll invite you to go out with them and have fun at night and give you very detailled information in proper english about everything you want to know/ book aswell!!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo