“friendly, convenient, well-staffed, excellent international breakfast”
Review of Silk Path Hotel

Silk Path Hotel
Ranked #57 of 591 Hotels in Hanoi
Bedford, New York
“friendly, convenient, well-staffed, excellent international breakfast”
Reviewed 8 April 2011

My husband and I, with our 21 yr old son had the recent pleasure of staying here for 5 non-consecutive nights between SaPa and Ha Long Bay. We needed a triple for 4 of the 5 nights and the ony reason i did not give a 5 rating was that i felt the rooms were smaller and less well appointed than i would have liked and expected given that this is classed as a 4 start hotel ( but that's 4 star hanoi, not U.S/ Europe/more tourist experienced Asia). Nevertheless, the service and staff were terrific (concierge and door staff (Mr. Chong) were helpful and kind., always ready to assist, and with a smile.
The breakfast catered to VIetnamese (pho offereings, etc); Europeans (eggs, cold meats, omlettes, bacon, potatoes), and Japanese (dumplings, etc); Indian (curries, etc), also offering various pastries, a great fruit selection, together with yogurts and cereals.
the bar was nice to return to after the craziness of hanoi, and there was a lovely player piano
Important to note, the hotel was very accomodating in holding excess baggage while we traveled more lightly to SaPa and HalLong Bay (both trips i highly recommend). Additionally,the old quarter location was terrific
the hotel was chosen by our travel agent, MS. NHAM of Haivenu travel (Hanoi), whose efforts were magnificent and made our trip easy. USE this agency; the ease in travel in vietnam is well worth the additional cost in not making arrangements yourself.
lastly, visited Metropole and would have liked to stay there some of the nights if i had to re-do as that hotel is truly old colonial world luxury and that would have been fun (but more expensive)

Room Tip: Hanoi is noisy/ask for back room
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 26 February 2011

I stayed at this hotel for just one night at the end of my trip through Vietnam. It's not the cheapest hotel in Hanoi, but it is a four star place, so you expect to pay a little more. The guest is rewarded with a very pretty hotel, clean and comfortable rooms, luxurious bathroom and an incredible night's sleep.

The hotel is well located, about 10 minutes walk to the central lake in the middle of Hanoi's old quarter and conveniently on a large road which is very easy to find. There are plenty of interesting bars and restaurants a short walk away and a range of clothing shops up this end of town.

I found the airport pickup/drop-off to be very overpriced at US$40 when the taxi flat rate is US$15 - the convenience of having a representative of the hotel meet you at the airport is nice, however if you take a taxi from the official taxi allocation service you will simply save yourself $25 dollars (it's easy if you have the name and address of the hotel clearly written out for your diver). I did get a bottle of water with the hotel pick up and I must admit I was rather parched from the flight!

The service was swift and efficient and when I required assistance printing of flight confirmation for my next leg, the staff were very helpful. Everyone was incredibly pleasant and welcoming which made me feel very comfortable. Although I didn't eat at the hotel, the decor and menus at the various dining sports looked great and I would have liked to try one of the wood-fired pizza's. Had I still been traveling with my girlfriend, I would have liked to visit the piano bar too for a drink - it's a very nice little touch such as this which pulls the Silk Path into a higher class of hotel.

Perhaps most importantly, the sleep was incredible. The room was cool and quiet, the thick curtains provided a perfect environment for getting some serious shut-eye. There was also a very handy bedside control for all of the lights in the room which was helpful when going to bed and if you wake up in the night for anything. The pillows were plentiful and I loved that they had both down and (I believe) latex pillows, so you can choose whichever you prefer.

Internet was good (and included wifi in the rooms) and there is a gym which I unfortunately didn't make it to due to the sleep in I enjoyed.

The hotel elevators are two gorgeous glass lifts running right up the middle of the building and made me feel like a little kid wanting to ride up and down in them all day and watch the hotel life whizz by. That was certainly a cool feature.

All in all, a very nice place to stay if you can afford it. I was very happy with all aspects of the hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank SaltySeaDogg
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 18 February 2011

A new hotel in a good location for walking to both tourist locations and the railway station. The staff were very friendly and helpful and are used to tourists going off to Sapa & Halong Bay. So no problem for leaving your luggage at the hotel during your trips away.

1 Thank Nick188644
Dawsonville, Ga
Reviewed 15 February 2011

We used the Silk Path hotel as our "home base" in Hanoi for 9 days as we were both in and out of the city for side trips to Ha Long Bay and Sapa. The location for sightseeing and restaurants in Hanoi was perfect--we walked almost everywhere. The rooms were spotless and the staff was exceptionally friendly and accomodating, particularly after we returned from Sapa at 6 AM. We were greeted as returning guests and shown to our room immediately.
Silk Path is a little pricey, but well worth the extra dollars if you are looking for a small, friendly, well located hotel in Hanoi.
Jim and Frida Murray

1 Thank jimfridamurray
Paris
Reviewed 14 February 2011

Definitely my favorite hotel in Hanoi!! It's beautiful, inside and out. My husband and I stayed there for 2 nights, for our wedding night.The food for breakfast is very good.many guests complimented the food. The beds are amazing comfortable, with plenty of soft pillows. It's quiet, even though it's in the heart of the City. I was late in making reservations and it was for New Year's Eve, so I was pleasantly surprised to find that the room rates were so reasonable compared to other luxury hotels in Hanoi.The service and rooms were as excellent as I remembered...we'll be going back again and again.

1 Thank shenw
Luzon, Philippines
Reviewed 11 February 2011

The hotel is beautiful inside and out. It has a nice talking elevator, The rooms are equiped with nice LCD television and the bathroom are also beautiful and modern. The staff of the hotel are nice and friendly, The Breakfast is good and delicious.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Canberra
Reviewed 22 January 2011

The staff were exceptional, The food was great and the prices were sensational. All the staff were very helpfull, after I left my camera in a taxi from the street they eventually traced the driver and got him to return it.All the relevant staff had a good understanding of English .I travelled over on crutches and they all showed a genuine concern about my leg every day .Highly recomended.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business