“Good hotel, but unfortunate ending”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Opera Hotel Hanoi

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hanoi
Opera Hotel Hanoi
Ranked #245 of 578 Hotels in Hanoi
Sacramento
“Good hotel, but unfortunate ending”
Reviewed 25 December 2010

I would likely agree wwith most everything positive said about this hotel in other reviews: spacious, clean rooms with all the amenities. Unfortunately, a disconcerting event upon my checking out put a damper on my memories of my stay here.
I reserved a room at the Thaison II for 6 nights at $38/night through an international booking service and pre-paid $240 via bank transfer, of which they had netted $233 after fees. Upon my arrival, the staff greeted me warmly, although their purpose was a bit transparent; when they realized that I was unlikely to purchase any of the tours they were touting (especially overnight tours without checking out of the hotel for the nights away), they adopted a bit more impersonal attitude. This, however, wasn't the problem.

When it came time to check out early on my last day, they first billed me for $40/night. No matter, I had the documentation that showed the above-mentioned $38 (I naively assumed that they didn't have such records). When I told them that I had already paid $233, the rather senior staffer, without checking, claimed that they had not received any money from me and told me that I had to provide documentation of this claim. Only when I did, did he discuss the matter with a colleague who was familiar with my account. It was ultimately agreed that I owed $17, largely a result of a (reasonable) $20 charge for the taxi whose driver was standing in the lobby waiting to take me to the airport.
When I said that I wanted to pay the $17 in Vietnamese dong, this $17 was converted to 365,500 dong, a rate of 21,500 to the US dollar. Throughout my 17-day stay in Vietnam, no peddler, hotel, restaurant or tradesman offered a rate other than 20,000. Nor was the 21,500 rate posted anywhere in the hotel or in its written material. When I commented on this, the response was sinply "that's the rate." So I handed over 400,000 dong, only to be told that there was no change available (the person with the keys to the cash drawers had yet to arrive). This would have left me with no bill(s) with which to tip the cab driver, but I was assured that the cab driver would receive the difference. So I asked that the driver be paid in my presence, at which point the driver was handed 150,000 dong from a roll of bills that the staffer took from his pocket. HE HAD THE CHANGE FOR MY PAYMENT IN HIS POCKET!!! (and the cab driver was receiving less thatn 40 percent of what was charged me; I ended up giving him a 50,000 dong tip at the airport).

Sorry, you'll probably be happy with your stay here, but I can't recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank travelindave45

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Thai first
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2010

We booked this hotel based on the good reviews on this website, unfortunately we experienced none of the 'good side' of this hotel.
Our stay started badly when we arrived at about 4pm, and had to wait 45 minutes to check in as apparently they were very busy - there seemed to be 4 or 5 staff hanging around not doing much, so not sure who was busy!
We then went up to our deluxe room (on the 5th floor, thankfully there was a lift on our side of the hotel, the hotel occupies two addresses, and the other side did not have a lift), which on first impressions was impressive - nice big rooms, a balcony, a flat screen tv and a lovely shower. Unfortunately, on closer inspection, the door on the shower didnt work, the balcony was only used to hold the air conditioning fans, so you could not use it, the in room safe did not work, the door handle for the bathroom was falling off........
We asked for the shower door and bathroom handle to be fixed, and to be fair, the maintenance guy did come up to fix the handle, however only succeeded in breaking the shower door even more! We were then promised that this would be fixed the next morning.
On using the shower the first morning, the drains did not work, so we ended up flooding the bathroom. We reported this to the reception, who assured us that they would repair this immediately. We returned at lunchtime to be told that 'all problems were fixed' so we went to check, and they had done nothing to fix the shower door, and as soon as the water was turned on, the bathroom flooded again.
After some insistence, we changed rooms, to a smaller one (apparently still deluxe) with a window that looked straight into a wall 10 inches away. Overall, this room was better, although still suffered from looks over quality, as the fancy shower was not installed properly and as soon as you opened the wardrobe door, the whole thing almost tipped over onto you!
Breakfast was equally bad - very few seats for a reasonably large hotel, we had to clear a table ourselves just to sit down, and only a two slice toaster!
Throughout all of this, the staff were not particularly helpful, other than assuring us that things had been fixed, and then not fixing them - we overheard numerous other people complaining about various issues during our stay as well.
The only good things were that there was free internet, and a lift, but a word of warning - if you leave your bags at the hotel whilst on a trip to Halong Bay - they are just piled up in the lobby, where anyone could tamper with them, and my boyfriend was convinced he saw a rat in the kitchen area!
Overall, better quality (for cheaper) can be found elsewhere - dont waste your time on this hotel - it seems to be run by a bunch of inexperienced kids who have focussed on appearances rather than customer service and quality of basic fittings in the rooms.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Linda1983
Aix-en-Provence, France
Reviewed 20 November 2010

The hotel is divided in two parts: 1 completely new where is the reception desk and the elevator and another one a bit older without elevetor. Overall the hotel is a very good value for money. If you are in the new part, you can enjoy very comfortable rooms. The rooms are very well furnished (flat screen tv, massage shower...). Everything is shiny and looks great. In the other part, the rooms are about the same size (big enought) but the style is not the same: old tv, furnitures and so on, still comfortable but absolutely not the same standard as the new part.
For breakfast you can find a large choice of typical vietnamese food plus toast, fruits. The staff is extremely friendly, a travel agent is also at the reception in case you want to book some trips.
About the location, the hotel is in the busy old center of Hanoi so you might hear the noise at night but we slept well.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 October 2010

In a word, we were OK with this hotel but not overly satisfied.

On booking, we were under the impression that all of the rooms looked as they do on the ads and various sites out there. However, on arrival we quickly found out that there is an old and new part.

We were placed in the old part. A room with no window. Now, I am a great believer in "you pay for what you get" and we did pay a low price. However, this played havoc with my jetlag and as such some several days later, I had to seek medical advice and am still suffering the effects of long haul.

On our final night my partner and I were woken to the sounds of an amorous couple enjoying each others company and a lot of footsteps wondering up and down the stairs.

There was also a strange experience whereby we woke to find the locked door, ajar. Quite worrying. However, I must admit that nothing had been moved or taken.

Oh and I must not forget the smell of the drains as they burped each morning, whilst guests took showers. That was quite unpleasant but a problem in Ha Noi overall.

Breakfast was basic, with a fruit and vegetable spread, tea, toast coffee. And an omelette chef, but nothing special.

In a nutshell we will be glad to move on. I have certainly stayed at worse places, but have equally stayed at much better places.

As for recommendation; Check the room before you agree to take it.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RandomGeeza
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 26 September 2010

Stayed for three nights and all the stuff were friendly and helpful. Restaurant is a bit small though.So if planning a trip early morning, suggest you have your breakfast earlier.
Do compare pricing of optional tours if buying from hotel as I find it's cheaper if bought from outside.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2010

My husband and myself stayed for a number of nights twice at this hotel. It had an Ideal location, the rooms were spotless and well decorated. Breakfast had a good choice. The staff were extremely firendly, coteous and helpful. Both myself and my husband had been ill and the management and staff could not do enough to help us. I would stay again and found it very good value for the money. The staff planned my onward trip for us and it went well, no hitches so that gave me a welcome break from all the planning I had done up until then!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
shanghai
Reviewed 24 August 2010

We arrived Hanoi on the early morning of 19th July 2010 and we checked in a hotel named Hong Ha Hotel, then we had a really bad experience in that hotel for the rooms were not valued the big amount money we had paid. The next morning, when we were on our way to find a place for breakfast we found Thai Son Hotel with a very good place to dine so we went in. To our suprise, the breakfast was very good and the price was not high. And we were told that the breakfast was included if we checked in the hotel. Compared with the ex-hotel, Thai Son was much more valuable with claerer rooms, better service. We decided to changed out hotel and check in Thai Son immediatly. During our stay in the hotel, wo had a really good time. We had meals with Mr Wu who had recomanded our good place to eat, to paly and to shop. The most important thing was that he can speak Chinese which made my mother very happy.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business