“Great location - a pleasure”

Hanoi Impressive Hotel
Ranked #40 of 591 Hotels in Hanoi
Sydney, Australia
“Great location - a pleasure”
Reviewed 12 April 2011

Stayed at the Impressive hotel for 6 days , we found the staff could not do enough for you always helpful. Always greeted with a smile

Great location , hotel was neat and tidy and breakfast was plentyful .
Would recommend to any traveller.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Vietnamese first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 7 April 2011

We arrived at this lovely hotel at about 2am after a harrowing experience with a Hanoi Tourist taxi driver
The Hanoi Tourist taxi driver said his meter wasn’t working, we said we would only use him if he had a meter. He agreed to the metre fare, then he drove us all around to other hotels, then he stopped in the middle of no where demanding more money
We lugged our bags out and left him shouting at us and other taxi drivers that were going to pick us up!

Our room at Impressive was ready and we were delighted by the fantastic staff, location, size of the room and the balcony
Our breakfast was freshly cooked to order with a fresh fruit platter

The rooms were quiet as the hotel is in a quiet lane and one room to a floor. Being next to St Josephs Cathedral, easy to find your way back to
Everything was within walking distance
There were plenty of friendly staff on-hand and the kitchen looked clean, it’s at the rear of reception, at the back door into the lane
Friendly out front with guests but out the back a different story. The main receptionist slapped another Vietnamese man over the head! Shades of Basil Fawlty or a case of upstairs/downstairs, I suppose!

Gripes:
We were overcharged $10 for laundry. We have the amounts that were done on the receipt with the returned laundry - 4.4 kg & 2.5 kg, @ $3 per kilo should be $20.70 not $30!
Also they charged us $18. for a taxi to the airport. The taxi only got $5 for the trip. They gouge where they can!

Room Tip: 503 was a nice large room
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank JC-Qld
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 4 April 2011

From the moment we touched down in Hanoi, this hotel was at our service in every way. I had sent an email from Australia asking about the cost of a car to get to the hotel. The manager, Antoine, replied immediately. It would cost us $US15 for the 45 minute trip. He said a driver would meet us at the airport, and his word was good. A man was there, with our names on a board, and even though he spoke no English, he made sure two newcomers to Vietnam had a seamless transition from airport to city.
Upon arrival, Antoine greeted us, with a free "welcome drink" (a Hanoi beer and a cup of tea). This set the scene for four days of friendly, efficient service.
No request was ever a burden for the staff. They weren't just good on organising tours from which they made money. They were happy to ring ahead for us to confirm hotels and airline flights etc, as well as ringing a friend in Da Nang to help arrange a meeting.
Our room was clean, spacious and well-serviced. The bathroom was great, with plentiful hot water in the shower.
The free internet point in the room is a bonus, although, as we found through most of Vietnam, the speed varies from dead to slow.
Our one complaint, was about poor quality on the laundry service (my favorite pink shirt came back with brown iron marks and there was a strange smell about the whole package).
Overall, we could not have been happier with this choice of hotel, and for this, we thank previous customers who posted on Tripadvisor.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 3 April 2011

I really enjoyed my stay in hotel Impressive in Hanoi. The staff speaks excellent english and french. The location of the hotel is perfect nearby Old Quarter and Lake Hoan Kiem. They planned my whole trip through Vietnam including plane, bus, taxi, hotels and excursions. One of my best Holidays!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Jelte188590
California, USA
Reviewed 23 March 2011

I stayed at the comfortable, safe, clean, and conveniently located Impressive Hotel (IH) twice over a three week period during February-March, 2011, for a total of nine days. My stays involved three different rooms--#201, a “superior” 2nd floor room facing the one-lane street immediately in front of the hotel (I found the room a little noisy with motorbikes and some cars passing by until about 10:00 p.m.); #601, a “deluxe” room on the 6th floor with double doors to a balcony and wonderful view of the back side of nearby St. Joseph’s Cathedral; and #802, a “junior suite,” really just a spacious 8th floor room with double doors leading to a wider balcony where one could sit at a small table and gaze at the cathedral. Both of the higher floor rooms were quiet due to the increased distance from the street. Each room was spotless with a comfortable large bed, a flat screen TV, air conditioning, mini-refrigerator, safe, and desk-top computer (Wifi, too). During my visit to Vietnam, I lodged at three other comparably priced hotels in different cities and the IH was by far the best. If I have an opportunity to visit Hanoi again, this hotel will be my first choice for overnight accommodations.

Co-owner and manager, Antoine (Toan) is a very friendly and nice man who, of course, aims to please. Even before arrival, Antoine made a good impression, replying quickly to e-mail questions (for his contact information visit www.impressivehotel.com). In addition to the hotel, he offers (as most hotels do) other services such as airport pickup (via private car for US $15, the standard rate, and preferable to hassling with taxi drivers over directions and possibly inflated fares). Although I did not avail myself of his tour options, these are available for guests as one of the hotel’s various services (the case at virtually all hotels). The IH staff members are always available and attentive to your various needs, in my case, changing money (at a competitive rate), calling taxis, and providing iced lemonade upon my return after long outings.

Breakfast is important, especially while traveling, a good way to get energized for the day’s activities. IH provides a self-service buffet of fruits (several kinds), breads (white and wheat with jam, honey, and butter), cereal, and beverages (coffee, either self-brewed by the cup or instant, tea, juice, and milk). Plus, you may custom order from a menu, which as I recall, lists Vietnam-style noodles, toast—plain or French, eggs, and a bacon/ham sandwich. I tried and enjoyed everything except the noodles, which are just not my morning-starter choice. There seems to be no restriction on amounts consumed but I observed that guests ordered reasonably and did not waste food—as it should be. In comparable level neighborhood restaurants, a small breakfast would cost about US $2.50 and one with a full sample of food—like I typically had—from $5.00 to $7.50. So the included breakfast is a good and tasty value. The dining room has seating for about twenty people and is just off the main lobby, separated from it by a large aquarium with colorful fish. Lunch and dinner are not served but coffee and tea are available (self-serve) in the breakfast area all day and evening for enjoyment there or back in your room where you have a small electric “kettle” for boiling water.

Besides having the cathedral only 100 meters away (I walked this route many times and will use a 1 minute per 100 meters formula for distances to the other sites mentioned below), La Place Restaurant (mentioned in the Lonely Planet guide) is on the same street as IH, directly across from the church’s parking lot—just 60 seconds away by foot. Hoan Kiem Lake is about 500 meters or 5 minutes—if you walk straight there without window shopping or loitering to watch street activities. The Old Quarter, set at the north end of the lake begins about 1000 meters away. To the south end of the lake are the History and Revolutionary Museums, maybe 1200 meters (I took a taxi to the History Museum for VND $11,000 or US $1.00, and walked back to the IH). All of these sites are found by exiting the IH front door and going to your left. If you go to your right, you can walk to the Hoa Lo (Hanoi Hilton) Prison/Museum in 10-12 minutes (go to the next street—a “T” intersection, turn left and go two blocks to the next “T” intersection turn right then about 25 meters to the next street—the prison is in front of you on the left—look for the barbed wire on top of the tall wall or consult a map: anyway, it’s close. Travel comment: often I will take a taxi to my destination to judge the distance (and save energy) then walk back to my hotel—it’s a good way to learn your way around and explore one’s neighborhood. Anyway, the point is that the IH is very nicely located for sightseeing.

Note: I have neither affiliation with the IH nor any personal relationship with the owners or staff. Moreover, this review has not been edited by anyone else. If TripAdvisor permits, feel free to contact me at AlanS47@aol.com with questions regarding the hotel. I’ll reply quickly and honestly.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank DreamingofC
Bend Oregon
Reviewed 20 March 2011

Service couldn't have been better as well as location-will stay again.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank darlaf
Hanoi, Vietnam
Reviewed 16 March 2011

I was a solo woman traveller on my own. My flight landed at Hanoi airport at 12:15 am (it was delayed). I was nervous coming in so late. Mr. antoine, the manager, had someone pick me up. He answered all my emails promptly and with warmth. The room was clean, spacious with a veranda. Hanoi is a noisy crazy city, but this hotel is situated in a very quiet part, and in a beautiful and quaint street. Everything is in walking distance. The view of the church is wonderful. They do Vietnamese noodles for brekkie, which I enjoyed, but I have lived in Asia for 13 years now, and am used to having this kind of food for brekkie. Otherwise, the European breakfast was so-so. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed March 2011, travelled solo