“Fantastic place to base yourself in Hanoi”

Hanoi Impressive Hotel
Ranked #42 of 581 Hotels in Hanoi
Melbourne, Australia
“Fantastic place to base yourself in Hanoi”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

My wife and I stayed here 3 times in August whilst in Vietnam and will be staying there when we go back to Hanoi. Perfect placed to base yourself when in Hanoi. Brilliant staff, so lovely and helpful. Dũng, Điệp, Hoa, Văn, Huy, Toán and Định were all fantastic. I hope I haven’t missed anyone out. If so perhaps Messrs Chris or Michael can add our thanks to them when they read this!

Rooms a good size – we stayed on the 4th and 5th floors, no noise and really comfortable. Bed was also comfortable. Airport transfers were all great during our stays. Breakfast was great – the pho was really delicious and they also have omelettes cooked to order as well as fresh fruit, cereals and great local patisserie offerings.

The location is amazing, right next to St Joseph’s and pretty much all of central Hanoi is walkable if you are keen on walking to explore – e.g. Opera House about a 20 minute walk away. Old Quarter on the doorstep. We walked back from District 9 artistic quarter in about half an hour. Some great street food around the area and a really good café on the corner about 5 doors up from the hotel towards the church. The lady there makes a fantastic café den da.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Vietnamese first
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2013

The Hotel Impressive in Hanoi is worthy of its name. I visited this small friendly boutique hotel with my family in late July and August this year . It is very well situated in a quiet leafy street near the Cathedral and in the old quarter of Hanoi with all its interesting shops and restaurants. The hotel is about 5 minutes walk from the lake. The rooms are small but stylish and very clean, and some of the rooms at the front have a small balcony.

The best thing about this hotel are the staff, who are warm and friendly and for whom nothing is too much trouble. As soon as you arrive they make you feel welcome, provide all kinds of useful tips and information about Hanoi, and can organise trips if you want them. They also provide an efficient and reasonably priced pick up service from the airport.

This is a great hotel for starting your trip to Vietnam. And they are happy to store any luggage for you if you want to travel elsewhere and return at a later date.

All in all a fantastic place and I will be back to the Impressive on my next trip to Hanoi.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank LizL337
Hanover Park, Illinois
Reviewed 27 August 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights in June 2013. The best things about the hotel are the staff and the location. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful, especially Ms. Flower who was the evening/night desk manager (I'm pretty sure the manager said that was her name or nickname). She was great!! The first night we checked in she sat us down and gave us a map and starred where we were and all of the attractions, including the excellent Vietnamese/Chinese restaurant she recommended to us (turns out it was also recommended in the Lonely Planet guidebook, which itself is the best guidebook). Every time we returned to the hotel while she was on duty she always asked how we were and what we did. She was a genuine person, unlike so many that work at hotels. All the rest of the staff were very prompt and helpful as well. One morning the manager even came by at breakfast to ask how things were going.

The location of the hotel was great too; very central and within walking distance of Hoan Kien Lake, restaurants, shopping, and old Hanoi. The only time we needed to take a cab was to Ho Chi Minh's mausoleum. The hotel is located on a small side street and is therefore away from street noise, and very close by there is a Spanish and an Italian restaurant (across from the cathedral). The rooms were nicely decorated with modern décor. My only minor concern was that the beds in our room were very hard, although our guide explained that the Vietnamese are accustomed to sleeping on harder beds and that is more of the standard. I left the blanket sheet on the bed for a little padding and used a comforter I found in the closet. In the end it was just something to get used to and I would totally stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jennifer M
Penang, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Excellent services by a staff, Ms Oanh who was very helpful.She take very good care of guests.Room are comfortable & clean.This hotel situated in a very convenient location, only few minutes walk to the famous Hoan Kiem Lake, weekend night market, Thang Long water puppet show.

• Stayed August 2013
9 Thank VVanniePook
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 12 August 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel during our stay in Hanoi. We had initially booked for two nights, however extended to three nights after our first night of our Ha Long Bay cruise was cancelled. This was not a problem at all, and the staff were more than happy for us to stay an extra night. The hotel and rooms are very clean, and the rooms are a very comfortable size with a small balcony overlooking the surrounding area. The best things about this hotel were the location (the immediate area was our favourite part of the Old Quarter) and the super friendly staff. The hotel is also a very good value for money, and we would most likely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank alyssajt
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 6 August 2013

My girlfriend and I recently returned from Vietnam and had a great experience in many respects thanks to the wonderful help from Mr. Chris, the general manager at the hotel, and many other staff members. I looked to book accommodation in Hanoi prior to leaving home for our trip as it was out first port of call in Vietnam as we were flying to Hanoi from Laos. I spotted this hotel on tripadvisor and on browsing their website they had a good package including return transfer to/from the airport or train station, 2 nights stay at the hotel in a junior suite, 2 tickets for the local water puppet theater show and a one night deluxe Halong Bay trip which was on our planned agenda anyway. I e-mailed the hotel about the package and this kicked off a series of mails back and over between myself and Mr. Chris who helped me out with our agenda and also with some onward train travel tickets. I had to pay a 50% deposit on the package and was sent a booking form to print, fill in (hand-written) and then scan and return - I wasn't too comfortable sending credit card details this way but Mr. Chris was able to reassure me this was a standard enough means of payment which I was then happy with. When we eventually made it to Hanoi, our driver was waiting at the airport to pick us up which was great as it was late on in the evening. On arrival at the hotel, the receptionist was extremely pleasant and helpful and made us feel more then welcome. The hotel itself is of a very good standard. The location is excellent, right behind St. Joseph's cathedral in the Old Quarter. There are plenty of cafes and restaurants in the area...including both Italian and Spanish tapas restaurants which can make a nice break from Asian food. We had a junior suite room which was great and very spacious and had a small balcony overlooking the cathedral. Breakfast was simple and served in a small seating area in the hotel lobby but was more than adequate and had eggs cooked to order. The staff were very helpful throughout our stay. We had our Halong Bay trip booked through the hotel package as I mentioned. Mr. Chris was on duty the morning we were begin picked up for the trip and came over to us at breakfast and introduced himself and asked us how everything was - it was a nice gesture as we had only been in contact by e-mail up to that. The Halong Bay trip was fab and the boat and food, etc, was of a high standard - obviously the hotel take care with who they book the trips with as many people report bad experiences and standards on such trips. On returning to the hotel after the trip we had a few hours to pass before taking a train. The hotel gave us a room for free to allow us shower, etc. and as there were laptops in each room we had free use of the internet. The hotel had tried to book us in for the water puppet show (which was included in the package) at the start of our visit but it was booked out. They offered us tickets for the show for the day we came back for Halong Bay prior to getting the train but we said we'd leave it as it was too much of a rush. As a result, the hotel deducted the cost of the tickets from out bill on checkout which was a nice touch as we didn't feel they were obliged to do given that it was our decision not to go to the show. The staff all wished us a safe onward trip when we were leaving - it was like leaving a family behind! Mr. Chris sent one of the staff with us to the train station who came through the train station with us and brought us through to the cabin and carried one or our bags and gave us big smiling farewell! Later on the train, we realised we had left a picture we had bought in Hanoi behind. We had left it at the reception desk when we went to Halong Bay just to keep it from getting crumpled and I had intended to get something to put it into when we returned. I e-mailed Mr. Chris about it when we got to our next destination - he asked me for the address of where we were staying and had it couriered down to us free of charge and was so apologetic even though it was our fault! We received it 2 days later. It's things like this and going the extra mile which are simple to do that make places stand out from the crowd. I cannot say enough about Impressive Hotel and we recommended it to one or two couples we met who were travelling northwards in Vietnam as we traveled down southwards. I would recommended it to anyone travelling to Hanoi looking for something in the mid-range pricewise but be sure you'll get top-end service! Thanks again to Impressive hotel for everything on our trip. We hope to be back some day!

Room Tip: I recommend the suites if your budget allows for it...just gives that extra space and finishing touc...