“Trust me - plenty of MUCH better options in Hanoi.”

Hanoi Blue Sky Hotel
Ranked #129 of 588 Hotels in Hanoi
“Trust me - plenty of MUCH better options in Hanoi.”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Stayed "here" for 4 nights. On arrival after a day of traveling, they weren't prepared for my arrival at all. Firstly, they were overbooked - fair enough this happens. But it was as though they had not organised what to do with my booking, so the receptionist made a few phone calls... 15 minutes later they send me to another hotel. When I arrive, they check me in to the new hotel, only to tell me I need to return to the Blue Sky hotel the following day. I was a bit frustrated as they mentioned nothing of this when I initially arrived at the Blue Sky and already had plans the next day - they shoved me off without a word. The new hotel called the manager of Blue Sky and I spoke with her, she was pushy, and really unfriendly when I mentioned I didn't want to change hotels the following day but to be honest, I was more annoyed with the fact they didn't bother to tell me anything upon my initial arrival. Anyway, she finally offered to keep me at the new hotel, although after we finish the conversation the new hotel informs me they can't give me a room for the entire stay so in the end, I tell them I'll just go back to the Blue Sky the following day. First night at the other hotel was fine, to their credit the Blue Sky put me in a slightly nicer hotel. Then I return to the Blue Sky the second day to be told I will need to change rooms AGAIN the day after. Anyway, that's just the handling of the reservation part of it... Beware if you book a room here, there is a good chance you will be moved around a lot or be put in a room you did not book... I was on the 3rd floor, and then moved to the 5th floor. For me was okay, didn't mind the exercise but if you're older or have babies, forget it. In short, my advice is to pay $2-$3 more per night for a better hotel and you'll end up saving money in the long run (for instance on breakfast)... Elsewhere you receive a much better breakfast (breakfast at Blue Sky was a joke), an elevator (if you don't want to shlep luggage up or down 5 floors at Blue Sky), a much nicer lobby (Hanoi has so many budget hotels with charming lobbies - the "lobby" at Blue Sky is old, zero character and looks and feels like a typical Hanoi travel agency...) and, an overall much nicer hotel with much nicer rooms... I assume previous reviewers who have rated Blue Sky highly are thrilled with the tours booked by the hotel, perhaps they are really good at doing that (can't comment there) and as a result guests rate the hotel highly. They also assume it is excellent value for money (okay, it isn't bad value at all) but don't realise that there are literally hundreds of budget hotels in Hanoi in the same price range that provide a much better hotel, a proper sumptuous buffet breakfast, and better rooms.
To be fair, it's extremely cheap and most of the rooms (not the 5th floor) are good value. This hotel is just so run-down and lifeless in comparison to hundreds of other budget places in town, I can't imagine why you wouldn't pay a few dollars more to save yourself money and hassle in the long-term. They also did my laundry once which ended in little white pieces of something stuck to all the clothes...

Room Tip: Try to avoid the 5th floor. The hotel faces 2 sides, so if you're a light sleeper be sure to ask...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Marcus O

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Hanoi, Vietnam
Reviewed 22 June 2014

My partner and I stayed in the Blue Sky for about a week before heading south and couldn't rate it higher. The rooms were simple but very clean and had everything you could need, AC, a tv and a fridge. It is in the middle of the old quarter so is an excellent location but what makes the hotel great is the staff. They are all incredibly friendly and helpful and never push you into buying anything. We booked a tour to Sapa and Halong and had wonderful trips compared to others who over payed, got mucked around and felt disappointed. They let us keep our bags there even after we had checked out and allowed us to shower. Ms Mai made us feel like family and even booked out train tickets to Hoi An saving us 20% off of the online price evn though we had already checked out. If you are doing a budget stay in Hanoi there is no where better to stay or book your tours! They gave us a great start to our tour and we are very grateful!

Room Tip: We had a deluxe room at first which was spacious and lovely and not much extra, but for our last nig...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Very friendly and helpful staff, good location and clean rooms. The tours that they offer are good as well. Breakfast is nothing fancy but allright. You should definately stay there if you're in Hanoi.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We stayed here for two nights before heading to sapa and then returning for another night. Moon helped us book a tour to halong bay which was fantastic and she as well as the other staff were always there to help with anything we needed.
The first night we stayed in the room in the lobby which was a little loud but we asked to move and the other nights there we stayed in other rooms, which were large, generally clean and quiet. Overall a very good hotel and great value. Its in a quiet area of the old quarter, the location is superb.

Room Tip: Any room besides the one in the lobby is fine
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
New Jersey, USA
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Hotel staff were very friendly and helpful - room was spacious and clean although a long walk up to 4th floor. I arrived at 6am on the train - young man sleeping in the lobby let me in and checked me into my room - about 5 hours early! Also gave me the free breakfast that morning even though I wasn't officially entitled to it. Close to city center yet quiet. They also let me stay in my room late on the day I left since I had a late afternoon flight. Can't go wrong staying here...

Room Tip: If you don't like climbing stairs, you might ask for a lower floor.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Hanoi, Vietnam
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed in hanoi for two days and we stayed in this hotel which is in the city center ( close to the market and the lake.
The bedrooms are lovely, clean and the service is very good.
I reallty recommend.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank yann2b
Oneroa, New Zealand
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stayed end of May at blue sky hotel,three of us.
Staff was so friendly and helpfull,sorting out everything's for us train bus pick up at the airport ,where to get good food,everything's.
Even in the middle of the night (we check in at 4 o clock)they make you feel comfortable offering you coffee and breakfast.
We went on along bay for three day and have to catch a train 5 hours later,they propose us to come back and stay at the hotel for free,given us towel and showers,so NICE and helpfull.

HIGHTLY RECOMMENDED for traveller....by the way cheap and super clean,and English speaker!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends