“Nice”

Thu Giang Guesthouse
Ranked #94 of 473 Speciality Lodging in Hanoi
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

We came to the guest house because we heard that the trip deal are good. The deals were cheap and good and so was the family who owned the place. They were very helpful with getting around the city and out of it. Nonetheless we think that the family should put more attention to the cleaning of rooms. It's not that they were horrible but more cleaning is required.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shushi_ve_guli

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Stayed here a couple of nights prior to my trip to Sapa and fit my needs perfectly. Rooms are basic but clean with great hot shower and TV. The family that runs it is super friendly and very accommodating. They can help you book a trip, taxi or introduce you to some local culinary delicacies. Great value for the price!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Joe S
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We visited Hanoi 6 years ago and stayed at this guesthouse then and were very pleased, so decided to return.
6 years later, service is still great, but rooms are a but run down now.

Very helpful family, arranged a few cab rides and told us where we could find the best food.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank 668Rox
Reviewed 4 March 2014

On arrival, the lady kindly offered me a cup of tea. She gave me a map of the area and indicated good places to eat and where certain things were, all very helpful. She then proceeded to go through the available trips to Halong Bay, which I felt was vey pushy and a little overbearing, but I understand this is the norm with the budget accommodations. She told me there wasn't a room available, even though I had phoned in the morning and reserved a room! The lady told me her friend had a room, so I could stay there one night and then move to Thu Giang. On looking at the other place though, just opposite, the only room they had was on the top floor up steps I deemed not to be safe, so declined to stay there. As I was researching other places, I was then informed there was a room available that she had forgotten about! I feel the lady takes bookings, even though she knows she can't fulfill the booking (noticed this in previous reviews on here) in order to help the other guesthouses out, which some may seem as a nice gesture but I personally don't appreciate this because if I make a booking somewhere, it is due to the positive reviews I have read about the place, so don't expect to be put someplace else, with poorer reviews.

The room I was given was on the fifth floor, and though the climb was steep (good exercise!!) the room itself was fine. It is a spacious, though basic room, a little grubby and the walls could do with a clean, but for $8, you get what you pay for. It had what I needed...a soft bed, clean bedding, a fan, a fridge and there was also a TV, though I didn't use this. The bathroom was ok, it did the job and had very hot water.

After doing some research at various travel agencies, I booked a trip to Halong Bay, through the guesthouse, only to hear very bad reviews of the boat I had booked, from another guest who had just returned. Due to this, and also the poor weather in HB, therefore not being able to see much, I decided to cancel my trip. I asked the lady if there was room to stay the night I should have been in HB, was advised to check in the morning, was informed there was no room but I could stay next door at another friend's place. Again, although she was trying to be helpful, and not having room was nothing to do with the guesthouse, as it was me who had changed my plans, I declined the suggestion, as I had read the terrible reviews on tripadvisor of this place. I decided then to treat myself for my last few nights in Hanoi and checked into a nice hotel just around the corner!

The location of the guesthouse is, in my opinion, good, right in the heart of the Old Quarter, down an alley so it was quiet, and within walking distance of many of the sights. The owner's daughter also speaks good English and kindly wrote a destination I wanted to go to in Vietnamese, so I could show the bus driver. The family themselves were generally helpful, just slightly overbearing with regards to tours. If you want somewhere cheap to just rest your head, and aren't expecting anything fancy, this place meets the criteria. If you make a booking though, don't assume you will get a room, but instead be placed at one of the other guesthouses in the alley!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank 2013-on-the-road
Reviewed 19 February 2014

I stayed at room 502 twice, for around 2 weeks. Yes, they accept reservations over phone or web. For $7 a night you get a single room with private shower and toilet, wifi, a fridge, satellite TV in several languages, a fan. They also have rooms with shared restroom for cheaper. There was an AC, but I didn't use it. I tried to negotiate for a weekly rate, but I was told they give discounts only monthly. My room was cleaned every other day, but if I didn't take siestas, it may have been cleaned everyday. It didn't bother me at all, but there's a Buddhist shrine in Room 502, and owner family asked me for access maybe a few times a week, most of the time while I was out. Thu Giang is on a narrow alley, so it never gets too noisy. There are many cheap places to eat, but choices get scarce after 10:30pm. Paying by dong is the best value, although paying by USD is only slightly worse. I've checked several rooms before staying here, I'd say it's the cheapest single room I could find in Hanoi, and great in value.

Pros:
* Great bang for your dong.
* Clean room, linen and towels.
* Hot water 24 hours, comes out quick.
* Fridge! I used to store beers from near by bia hoi place (4000 dong a glass).
* Room 502 is narrow but long. Plenty of space to leave your stuff.
* Room gets cold during January nights, but comforter was thick, clean and adequate.
* Quiet (for Hanoi standard) neighborhood.
* A window with grill, so you can leave it open while you're out.
* No pests (this is amazing, I've seen rats and cockroaches all over Hanoi), but only some ants in restroom.

Cons (although I think you're crazy complaining those for mere $7/night, but I list them FYI):
* Narrow, steep flight of stairs for maybe 4-5 floors (I got used to it after a few days, considered myself getting a free gym).
* Smoke coming in from rooms downstairs if heavy smokers staying.
* When neighbors flush their toilet, sometimes the water in the bowl gets vacuumed, then smell came in. The solution is to add a bit of water to block the air passage from sewer.
* There's no place to hang towels and clothes nor furniture to organize luggage. Luckily the room is long, so there's a plenty of space to lay luggage on the floor.
* Walls are paper thin.
* Wifi wasn't working several occasions in my room, but it was always working at the lobby.
* It got quite warm in the room during afternoon. While it wasn't bad in January, I imagine it gets too hot other seasons.
* Bring your flip flops. The restroom is a typical Southeast Asian style with no shower curtain nor door, so floor gets wet all over after shower.
* The water pump was right next to the room, and it activated each time my neighbors and I used water. It can be noisy and irritating for some people.

Room Tip: Ask them to show you a few different rooms.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank maverikbc
Reviewed 13 January 2014

If you are looking for a cheap accommodation, this is the place for you. Overall a comfortable stay, located in a quiet side road in the Hanoi city center. We stayed in a room with 2 single beds with a private bathroom for just $8!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Howpin S
Reviewed 8 January 2014

A room at $9 with two single beds and a private bathroom with fan, fridge and a tv - perfect for a low budget trip. We were welcomed genuinely and were offered a tea and a fruit just like a family member. Its a place like home. The guest house is strategically located at the central Hanoi business and market place. A family member stay late night to make sure that all guests were back from their long day trips. Just a tip - they do not have elevators, so be ready to walk your way up if you are assigned to a room at the fourth or fifth floor.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends