“Poor”

Hanoi Hostel
Ranked #39 of 360 Speciality Lodging in Hanoi
“Poor”
Reviewed 16 September 2013 via mobile

I'll start with the good-
Cheap $14 per night for double room, aircon, fridge and proper durvets, comfy beds and hit shower.
Free tea and coffee all day.

Overall we were really happy with the room. The girl asked how long we would stay for and I asked if I could let her know tomorrow as my sister was yet to arrive and I wanted to make sure she liked it.

No one told us about the free breakfast and it wasn't even written anywhere that I could see, I heard of it through over reviews.

The place was dirty, dust caked the banisters and stairs, empty beer bottles about 15 of them stood around outside our door that the cleaning lady had obviously not bothered to carry downstairs after taking them out of another room, along with a dirty pile of linin.

There was a dead insect smooshed on the wall of the bathroom so obviously they did a rushed cleaning job.

At 7am my sister went and had breakfast. It's free so shouldn't complain but it's not nice and I definitely won't eat it again- even for free. Could get a nicer mean for 50 cents on the st. Just plain white bread and a plain over cooked omlet meh.

We went up showered and came down at 8.30am where the girl asked us when we would check out I said ok we would like to stay another night- she replied sorry, we've booked your room out.

Speechless? We had to go back and pack- check out time was at 12 and they obviously wanted us gone before then. But the really annoying thing is I told her I would let her know that day how long we would stay and she said that was fine! If I'd known it wasn't I would of come down later in the night to book but I honestly thought 8.30am would be as good a time as any. Seriously annoying. She should of been more specific. As we talked about what to do she suddenly decided to mention they have another room at the other hostel- why she left it so late to say I have no idea.
Poor customer service. Unhappy customers the end.

1 Thank Violetgracie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Bristol, Rhode Island
Reviewed 11 September 2013 via mobile

Lovely little hostel and quite central in Hanoi! We stayed for 5 nights in a double room with an ensuite, TV, free wifi and breakfast included. The room is big and the beds are very comfy! The water is also warm, and the room has a fridge if you want to buy milk for cereal, fruit etc.

Make sure you ask them which one you're at before you arrive, as we ended up at their other place and it was a bit confusing for our tour operators too, who did the same thing!

Breakfast was fine- omelette, toast, watermelon, banana- but it's everyday. The same everyday- so if you don't mind then that's fine, because it is included after all!

Staff are friendly and helpful!

Like I said, lovely place to stay, would stay here again!

2 Thank Loz F
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

We booked both a Sapa and halong bay trip here. Due to a national holiday the timings were quite difficult but the receptionist was very helpful and patient whilst we spent 45 mins trying to work out the logistics of it. We also stayed here after the trips, room was fine and inexpensive. Also got laundry and a taxi to the airport organised through here. Very good customer service

2 Thank Joe M
Da Nang, Vietnam
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I went here looking for a place to sleep after a tired day travelling. Just need a short stay before going back to Danang. The room is more comfortable than what I expected from a very cheap price. The bed was big and comfortable.

If you travel as a backpacker, its a good place to make friends and very wallet-friendly.
I will recommend my friend to stay here next time.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank AmaKong
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 1 September 2013

The Hang Ma location has a great rooftop common area, delicious and filling breakfast and comfy, sturdy dorm bunks. Free tea and coffee all day and free bia hoi from 6-7pm and computers in the lobby. Lots of great amenities at a good price!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank leelerbug0294
Reviewed 28 August 2013

They helped us for everythings during our 5 days trip in Hanoi, Sapa and Halong bay such as help to plan a trip, offer tour and train ticket with reasonable price and help us when we got some trouble during we stayed there.
Their service mind made us felt like we visit ous friends, very impressed!

• Stayed August 2013
Subang Jaya, Malaysia
Reviewed 27 August 2013

This was my my 1st visit to hanoi n vietnam!!
Was introduced by my friend who stayed there twice.
Stayed at the private room (triple sharing) there for 3 nights (1 nite @ hang ma n 2 nites @ hang vai) + 1 night @ ha long bay. Was supposed to stay for 3 nites at hang vai but due to power supply disruption at hang vai, they put us in hang ma for the 1st night.
The 2 hostel located in the old quarters, within 10-15 mins walk to hoan kiem lake n 5 mins walk to the weekend night market.
The lady boss Candy arranged the airport transfers n halong bay cruise (2 days 1 night) for us and recommended the marvellous pho bo (vietnamese beef noodle soup) - a Big Thanks to her. In fact we found out that we paid lower for our halong bay trip compared to what the HK travellers have paid for the same trip ;)
The halong bay cruise was fantastic.... meals on board, wonderful time kayaking to inside a lagoon at halong bay n great company on the junk (other group of travellers from different countries)
Personally prefer the private room in hang vai - much bigger and spacious (taller ceilling) compared to hang ma (felt kinda claustrophobic due to the low ceilling)
For the price we paid, the cleanliness level was acceptable, could have been better - if room is cleaned daily (and if soap provided in hang ma); breakfast was ok plus the free bia hoi (local beer) during happy hour at hang ma and free wifi at both hostels!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends