“Alright for a night, but there are better, cheaper options.”

Hanoi Legacy Hotel Hoan Kiem
Ranked #136 of 599 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed 28 April 2014

PRO'S:

Slap bang in the centre of Hoan Kiem next to night market (could be considered a con for some, though!).
Large room.
Nice coffee for breakfast.
TV and tea and coffee making stuff in room.

CONS:

Windowless room (when i booked, it did not state that the room would be windowless, otherwise i'd have stayed elsewhere).
The bedcovers were wet and clingy and made our pyjamas damp. We had to sleep in our own sleeping sheets, which were also made damp by contacting the bedclothes.
The room stank of damp and mildew.
The floor was not clean - lots of hair, some of which was 'short and curly', if you know what i mean!
The shower did not drain away and flooded the bathroom and bedroom.
Bad customer service - as my daughter and i checked in (late, having walked through town with our back packs and straight off of a flight), they didn't greet us, just started reeling off tours that were available. I was tired and couldn't give a toss about tours.

We stayed two nights and then left to find a lovely room in a side street hotel in a quieter part of Hoan Kiem, with balcony, 2 double beds, clean floor all for $17 per night for the room.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank planetwanderer

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Of all the hotels we stayed in Vietnam, this one had my least expectations but ended up being our best hotel experience in 3 weeks. What made it was the friendly staff, especially the very helpful Rosie. Nothing was too much trouble. We stayed 4 nights in the end, we were supposed to spend 1 in Halong Bay, but came back to Hanoi when the boat we booked was over booked. We still spent most of the day on another boat anyway. This was NO FAULT of the hotel, but they accommodated us when we came back early with 2 rooms for the price of 1 as the Family room was taken for the night and there are 3 of us (hubby, daughter and I). We got a 100% refund on our tour as well, Laundry was reasonably priced and done in 12 hour. Breakfast was a smaller selection than some hotels, but perfect for our needs. Airport transfer was cheaper than a taxi. Room 804 was quiet and clean and perfect for our needs. We would recommend to most travellers as the location is great too.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back have no window but it is quieter. Great shower too.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Pros:
-great location and walking distance to lake; a real people watching locale.
-friendly staff, excellent tour desk and reception
-clean, soft sheets and clean bathroom
-reasonably quiet at 6th floor, very quiet (no honking heard) from about 9pm to 8am

Cons:
-breakfast needs improvement: lots of fruit flies on fruit and salad visible and ignored by staff daily. Buffet options and coffee were cold. I opted to skip breakfast 2 out of 4 days as a result.

-mattress and pillows are sub par for the rate charged

-mold/mildew on ceiling and wall near bed in our room 601

-elevator and hall carpets in desperate need of attention

After living in SE Asia for over ten years, I understand what is to be expected in hotels and restaurants. I think the staff at this hotel are good, however the owners might need to inject a little cash into some regular maintenance so that the experience and property reflect the online photos and image they try to sell. I feel we overpaid even with an Expedia discount. I would have not had such high expectations had I paid the rate I did for the "Deluxe City View," In my opinion the rate for the quality and size of the room should go for about $30. If you can book that specific room for near that rate, then I would recommend this hotel. Otherwise for the higher rates advertised, I think its worth booking elsewhere with better breakfast and upgraded property.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank opoverseas
Reviewed 16 April 2014

This hotel is in a nice location in the french quarter where it is not too busy, but you will hear the constant honking and everyday noise if you are in a room facing Ngo Nach street. When I arrived, there was no pick-up at the airport as requested and they had some sort of excuse about fixing the air conditioning in the room so it was not ready. This was at 10pm at night!!! They said it would take about an hour for it to be fixed and asked me to go walk around the block. It was too cold in Hanoi to even matter if the air conditioning worked or not. They said they would upgrade my room to a beautiful city view but it was already a room I had reserved anyway, and it was the view of nothing but the street. It took over a hour before my room was ready and the air conditioning never did work anyway, but the sheets and blankets were all damp. It was very disappointing to have this kind of service upon arriving so late at night and all you want is to check in and go to sleep. I have also read the same story about the air conditioner excuse/story from other reviewers on this hotel. Other than that the stay was ok, but after walking around the french quarter, I have seen many other nicer hotels that would be worthwhile checking out.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 April 2014

When I came to this hotel I instantly loved it. The staff was incredibly friendly, the breakfast was excellent, and the rooms where also good. There is free wifi, but it didn't always work that well. It is close to the night market, souvenir shops, and there are TripAdvisor-approved restaurants nearby. When we left the hotel, I bought lots of minibags with M&M's that I gave to all the staff as a thank you for making me feel safe and comfortable.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for four nights in total whilst visiting Hanoi.

Basics - room was clean, had A/C (not needed when we were there!), wifi, fridge and safe. Location was in the middle of the old quarter, if you haven't been before imagine lots and lots of tiny little streets with lots of people and lots of bikes! The staff are very helpful :)

- paid £11.50ish per night for a superior double which is very cheap, meant to be reduced from £45 - if I had paid that amount I would have felt a bit disappointed!

- room didn't have a window to outside, probably because windows are at a premium in Hanoi but made the room dark and wasn't clearly stated in room description

- we stayed on second floor which seemed to have a lot of noise from the corridor - when we mentioned to the staff we were offered a free upgrade with city views but we only had one night left and didn't want to pack to move (lazy I know!)

- staff are very friendly and can help book tours, offer laundry service and can book taxis (we booked a guide for a walking city tour with the hotel who was very good - would recommend)

- breakfast room was full on our first morning (I ended up eating toast on the lobby floor as we had to leave hotel by 7 for Halong Bay trip) on two further mornings around 9 the food seemed to have been used and not replenished, had to ask the staff to refill a number of things so we could have breakfast. Was a bit annoying as breakfast was meant to be served till 10?

Overall a good hotel if you can get at the reduced rate!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KirstyJosh2014
Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed in four different hotels when in Hanoi over a period of 13 days. Here was definitely my favourite. The staff are really helpful, especially Jon who is usually working in the afternoon. The breakfast is fantastic and the rooms are great! This is also the best shower I have had in asia in 6 weeks. The location is a bit further from the lake than other accommodations but it actually is better as you are in a less touristy area. The wifi can also be a bit hit or miss. Definitely would recommend though.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends