“Staff is 2 Charming”

Hanoi Charming 2 Hotel
Ranked #33 of 600 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed 6 May 2014

As with most hotels in Hanoi, you get great value for money here. We got a great deal on what Expedia listed as a suite, room 601. The room was rather large with a balcony. I wouldn’t categorize it as luxurious by any stretch and the bathroom was small for something called a suite. The room came with nice darker wood furniture, hardwood floors, free slow wifi(faster in lobby), safe, robes, slippers, computer, dvd player, comfortable king size bed, minibar. Free water(common in most 3 star and up hotels in Vietnam), free fruit basket, and free welcome bottle of Vietnamese wine. The staff is responsible for the rating I gave this hotel. The room was pretty average, but the staff is everything you’d expect from even a 5 star resort. The entire downstairs staff made it a point to call us by name every time they saw us. I commented to my wife that the staff was almost like the staff at Disney World and she said they were even friendlier than that. Everyone took pride in their work, always worn a smile, and went out of their way to make sure everything was to our liking. We actually got one employees info to keep in touch and the manager sent us a personal email asking us how our flight home was and thanking us for staying with them. I loved the location of this hotel, it’s on a busy street a little outside the most touristy part of the old quarter. Noise was not an issue for us and we faced the street. With the old quarter being so small your still relatively close to most sights. A little closer to Ho Chi Minh and Temple of literature and a little further from the Opera House and Prison. Location is also directly across the street from the premier place to get Banh Cuon in the city. Picky hotel goers might not like slow elevator, less than freezing A/C, and shower that is a little hard to get in and out of and is impossible to keep water from getting all over floor.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 May 2014

We were there late April 2014 for a week punctuated by 3 days when we went to Ha Long Bay. They initially gave us a free upgrade saying that it is the honeymoon suite. My wife mentioned in passing that it is not necessary as May 1st would be our 33rd wedding anniversary. Unbeknownst to us when we returned our room was filled with balloons. Bed decorated with flower petals. My wife was handed a huge bouquet of flowers, a cake with candles lit and a bottle of wine and two grinning staff.

This level of service is above and beyond, a rarity especially when smiles are from the heart. The rooms are wonderful and the inclusive breakfast is fabulous.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank BeeKam
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Lovely lovely staff, huge breakfast, big clean rooms with free tea, coffee, fruit and water, good location. Always remember your name. Good value for the quality of service and rooms. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We would like to thank all the staff at the Charming II Hotel for a truly wonderful stay.
The hotel is very comfortable and the breakfasts are amazing, but what sets this hotel apart from others is the service provided by all the staff. They really go out of their way to help you enjoy your stay. Many thanks to the whole team, Danny, Johnny, Mary, Tracy, Sophie, Kate, Diem, Thao, Manh, Tony, Vi, Trinh, Liem, Thinh. They really are amazing.
We stayed a total of 5 nights with 3 separate arrivals from tours. Each time we were warmly welcomed and made to feel special.
We can highly recommend this hotel to everyone.

Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Peter S
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Due to travel plans falling through, I was stranded in a village about 80km from Hanoi and was desperate to get back to the city. It was impossible for me to find a local taxi firm to transport me. I picked Charming 2 from the glowing reviews on TA and emailed to ask if they could accommodate me for 4 nights, and more importantly, if they could rescue me from my predicament. I had a very prompt email reply from Kate who confirmed all the arrangements, including a car to collect me the following morning at a very reasonable rate. All arrangements were made and confirmed very efficiently by email.

On arrival at the hotel, I was not disappointed. I had an Executive room which was very comfortable, and a good size, with a window for sunlight! I did not hear a peep of external noise throughout my 4 night stay.

Customer service was superb. All customer-facing staff speak very good English, and are always on hand to help with any enquiries, directions, etc. I must make special mention of both Mary and Danny, who are both outstanding ambassadors for this hotel. Mary was always ready with a cheery chat and a joke! On my second day, I succumbed to a bad tummy bug and had to spend the day in my room. I phoned down to Reception at 9pm that night to ask for extra pillows and another duvet as I was shivering from being ill. Danny was most concerned about my welfare as they had not seen me all day, and insisted on sending up a lovely juice to my room, as they knew I had not eaten all day.

It's these personal touches that make this hotel so great. You just don't get that kind of care in the big corporate chains.

My room rate was very reasonable and included breakfast, which was cooked to order from a small menu, and served with a smile.

I am giving Charming 2 a Very Good rating overall, simply because of the lack of a restaurant for evening meals. They do offer an extensive room service menu, which they collect from local restaurants. I tried this twice, and on both nights was very disappointed with my food, and most of it went uneaten. I noticed that it came from the same restaurant on both nights, so perhaps they could look into using another supplier...

However, for customer service, cleanliness, room amenities, and value for money, Charming 2 is a really excellent choice if you are looking to stay in the Old Quarter and I would be very happy to stay here again - I just suggest you eat out at dinner!

Room Tip: Go for an Executive room for a few pounds more, to get more space. Rooms at the back are really qui...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I always loved visiting Asia, it never felt like i am away from home, staff is excellent and service, food are over the top. must say one of the best hotel in Asia i visited so far, Thanks for making my trip to Hanoi one of the best experience of my life time.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Myself and three other friends stayed at the Charming 2 Hotel for one night but also took up their offer to rest and shower in their rooms on two other occasions. Even though my stay was short, all I can say is that there facilities were clean and comfortable and that their service could not be faulted at all. From the very moment we arrived, we were greeted with big smiles and welcoming attitudes. Our luggage was swiftly taken to our room and the manager was there to explain all the details to us. It took us less than 5 mins between checking in and having a much needed shower. The greatest thing the hotel has to offer is the staff they employ. Every single person was extremely friendly and gave us their undivided attention when needed. Mary, in particular, was a life saver - helping us organise plane tickets when our original flights were delayed. Overall I would rate my experience at the Charming 2 Hotel 5/5 - this hotel is a gem.

Michael (Huy) Sy