“I'm not sure what's up with the other reviews! AVOID at all costs! BUGS!”

Hanoi Charming 2 Hotel
Ranked #30 of 581 Hotels in Hanoi
“I'm not sure what's up with the other reviews! AVOID at all costs! BUGS!”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

While I will agree that the service is pretty great, I had an AWFUL experience at Hanoi Charming 2. On my birthday we flew from Ho Chi Minh to Hanoi, and had the hotel car pick us up. This was pretty convenient since the drive from the airport was fairly long.
My friend had contacted the hotel ahead of time to arrange something for my birthday, and when we arrived in the room it was nicely decorated, had a cake, flowers, and a bottle of red wine waiting for us. I had seen a few ants crawling on the table where the cake was sitting, I figured that was normal... so I moved the cake to the nightstand between the two beds. Exhausted from the day of travel we took a short nap and woke up to ants swarming the nightstand, all over the cake, and even a few on the beds! I called the front desk, asked for a new room, they obliged, and we moved our stuff. This is when the real fun started!

In the new room we saw a few bugs here and there but didn't think much about it, and headed out to find a place to eat. This proved harder than we thought because on a Wednesday night, nearly everything near this hotel closes down early! We arrived back (to get to the elevator we had to walk over the hotel staff who were sleeping in their boxers on a mattress on the lobby floor - RED FLAG number one!), showered, and got ready for bed. When we came back to the room we saw a few more bugs of various types and sizes and discussed the fact that we would get another hotel tomorrow. After shutting the lights off and crawling into bed I needed something from the nightstand. My friend reached over for the light and accidentally moved the phone and TONS of little bugs came crawling out - I'm almost positive they were BED BUGS! After getting everything up off the floor we went through our luggage and found TWO MORE bugs inside our suitcases! Large bugs kept appearing in the bathroom as well! It's about 4AM now, and even more exhausted from no sleep I decided to just deal with it and sleep on the bed with no blanket. I walked over to my suitcase to get my scarf out, and that's when I saw a giant cockroach on the wall! That was the final straw... we packed up our stuff and left!

We had to wake up the sleeping staff on the lobby floor and awkwardly wait as they put their clothes back on. The manager ended up refunding the money I paid for the room, but when we said we were going to write a review on TripAdvisor (because people have to know about this problem!) he specifically asked us not to because he refunded the money and then asked for the name of the hotel we were going to so he could come talk to us later! I said no, thank you and left as fast as I could!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
9 Thank Jessi0951
MinhHanoi, Manager at Hanoi Charming 2 Hotel, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Dear Jessi0951
Thank you very much for your choosing out hotel to stay in Hanoi.
On your birthday occasion ,we just wanted to organize a small thing which make you happiest but unluckily and beyond our imagination that the ant came.We have never crossed this situation before and we also do not know from where they came.
We would like to send you our deep apology for what happpened and promise to check everything the most carefully to avoid the same thing happen
Once again, thank you very much for selecting our Charming 2 for your stay. We can assure you that our staff will continue on our mission to deliver the best service.
We look forward to seeing in the future.
Sincerely yours

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (421)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Our experience here was an amazing one. My boyfriend and I enjoyed the comforts of the great air conditioned room with its clean facilities. Room was massive with a balcony. What we loved best was the great service they provided, the front reception staff mary and danny were great friendly people who helped us with booking tours taxis and giving us directions! they even upgraded us to a honeymoon suite!

Will definitely come back again very soon

Cheryl and Sungho

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cheryl C
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

I've stayed with my 12 years old son in this hotel for 4 nights.

It is well located in the old city. Rooms are clean and comfortable.

Service was fantastic. Each time we entered the hotel they greeted us warmly at the receptions and couple of times they even offered us free freshly squeezed juices.

When we returned from Sapa on the very early morning train they let us check in immediately to the room, at no extra charge.

Exceptional was Ms. Linda Nguyen, which helped us with every arrangement/question and is always full of positive energy.

An added bonus was the DVD player in the room - when it was too hot outside we simply bought some movies and stayed in the air conditioned room :)

Thank you hotel Charming 2!

Rami

Stayed May 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We had 3 stays in this hotel and each time only got better.The staff at the hotel were exceedingly friendly, treating us as if we were members of their family. This applied to all staff members but especially the reception staff.They bent over backwards to assist us even making a room available to us gratis whilst we transited between the train station and airport. The hotel is well located with lots of good restaurants nearby. Rooms were very comfortable and allowed for a quiet nights sleep.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony. There is no pool so forget about the rating for the pool.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rblosfelds
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend stayed in this hotel for two nights, and we loved it! The location was great, really easy walking distance to most things. A nice easy 10-20 minute walk to most of the tourist attractions, depending on where they were. The staff were so so friendly, and they are a relatively small hotel - which I much prefer. Mary and Danny especially were so helpful, making sure we knew where we were going, answering any questions and giving good suggestions on where to visit too! Very affordable price for the room too, and the breakfast in the morning was good too. Superb overall! Would definitely go back if we were in Hanoi again, without a doubt.
Many thanks for our nice stay,
Shannon and Joe

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Shannonsreviews01
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 30 May 2014

charming 2 has The best staff I have experienced anywhere in the world. They made me feel like I was part of a family, so thank you again guys, I will only stay here when I come back to Hanoi. Best staff combined with great value and clean rooms pretty much describes my stay at Charming, I would recommend this hotel to anyone with no hesitation.

• Stayed May 2014
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 29 May 2014

If I'm ever in Hanoi again I would stay here without question.
The level of personal service was phenomenal, despite paying budget prices for the room. Every staff member (whether I'd met them or not) seemed to somehow know who I was, which room I was staying in, and what our plans were (we had 2 nights with them, left for one night for a cruise on Ha Long Bay, then came back for one night). They were all genuinely friendly, with infectious smiles, and would go beyond what was expected in order to make our stay fantastic.
We opted for a cheaper room without a window, but I'd probably go for a window next time. The bathroom was not the most comfortable, but no specific complaints about it apart from the shower making the whole floor wet. Apart from that the room was great.
Breakfast was great! They took your order the previous night, and when arriving at the breakfast dining area, the two friendly cooks would have it made extremely quickly, and gave us complimentary fruit for the short time we did wait (This was great for when we were running a bit late for a tour, they were very accommodating).
It really did feel like they cared about us, and our experiences, not just about our money. Wonderful.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple