“Best hotel experience I've ever had”

Hanoi Charming 2 Hotel
Ranked #29 of 580 Hotels in Hanoi
Wellington, New Zealand
“Best hotel experience I've ever had”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

The Charming II staff were by far the friendliest and most outgoing hotel staff I've ever seen. They accommodated all of our needs and did so with a smile. We were so impressed with their customer service. Linda was so friendly and helped us to book our overnight train to Sapa and even bartered down the price. Danny spent 10 minutes showing us where the best places were to eat around the hotel. Service was so good, great location in the old district, and the room/food was nice too. Highly recommend this place!!

1 Thank Michael B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (421)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Philadelphia
Reviewed 8 June 2014

From being greeted at the airport by a friendly driver to the end of our stay we enjoyed every minute of our experience at this hotel. It's not the Four Seasons, but at thirty dollars a night for a double, it was miles better than we ever imagined. We booked two rooms as we were traveling with our, now adult, daughter. The staff was so warm and helpful they made us feel at home right away. Maps, restaurant suggestions, places to see, tips to avoid the travel pitfalls of a teaming city were all appreciated as were the fruits and bottles of water in the rooms. We had a room with nothing but a view of an air shaft. Our daughters room was sunnier and from peaking in the other rooms some had pretty balconies. Never the less, our room was clean and quiet, a nice respite from the activity of the street.

Breakfasts which were also included in the room price ranged from western style offerings to the traditional Vietnamese fare of pho or other noodle dishes. The dining room is open and attractive on the ground floor.

Charming 2 is located in the heart of the old quarter which is then within walking distance of major attractions and a panoply of shopping.

Room Tip: Ask for the type of room you want, if a view is important to you.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I'm not sure what's up with Jessi0951 below, as her review is absolutely at odds with my experience of the Charming 2. I stayed three times at the Charming 2 in May, between trips to Halong Bay and Hoi An. I didn't see a single bug of any description in the spotless rooms and, having got back late a few times, nor do the staff sleep in the lobby. The night manager sits at the desk in the lobby, in his shirt and trousers, as you might expect.

Aaanyway, on to my review. Charming 2 is a great little hotel which I would highly recommend to anyone. We stayed in one of the suites at the front of the hotel, which was very clean, quiet, modern and spacious, with good airconditioning. The hotel is well located in Hanoi's bustling old quarter, a short walk to numerous bars and restaurants, and a short and inexpensive taxi ride to any of the other sights of Hanoi. The wifi works well, the minibar is reasonably priced, and you can get your laundry done for next-to-nothing (all firsts in my experience). But the nicest thing about the Charming 2 is the people who work there. All the staff are charming, gracious and extremely helpful - just one example, they arranged train sleeper tickets down to Da Nang for us, and even sent one of their guys along behind our taxi on a scooter to make sure we got on the right train and carriage. We had a great experience at the Charming 2, and won't hesitate to go back.

Room Tip: Suite 501 is nice, with a balcony where you can watch the world go past below. Not noisy either, as...
1 Thank Ian B
Reviewed 3 June 2014

While I will agree that the service is pretty great, I had an AWFUL experience at Hanoi Charming 2. On my birthday we flew from Ho Chi Minh to Hanoi, and had the hotel car pick us up. This was pretty convenient since the drive from the airport was fairly long.
My friend had contacted the hotel ahead of time to arrange something for my birthday, and when we arrived in the room it was nicely decorated, had a cake, flowers, and a bottle of red wine waiting for us. I had seen a few ants crawling on the table where the cake was sitting, I figured that was normal... so I moved the cake to the nightstand between the two beds. Exhausted from the day of travel we took a short nap and woke up to ants swarming the nightstand, all over the cake, and even a few on the beds! I called the front desk, asked for a new room, they obliged, and we moved our stuff. This is when the real fun started!

In the new room we saw a few bugs here and there but didn't think much about it, and headed out to find a place to eat. This proved harder than we thought because on a Wednesday night, nearly everything near this hotel closes down early! We arrived back (to get to the elevator we had to walk over the hotel staff who were sleeping in their boxers on a mattress on the lobby floor - RED FLAG number one!), showered, and got ready for bed. When we came back to the room we saw a few more bugs of various types and sizes and discussed the fact that we would get another hotel tomorrow. After shutting the lights off and crawling into bed I needed something from the nightstand. My friend reached over for the light and accidentally moved the phone and TONS of little bugs came crawling out - I'm almost positive they were BED BUGS! After getting everything up off the floor we went through our luggage and found TWO MORE bugs inside our suitcases! Large bugs kept appearing in the bathroom as well! It's about 4AM now, and even more exhausted from no sleep I decided to just deal with it and sleep on the bed with no blanket. I walked over to my suitcase to get my scarf out, and that's when I saw a giant cockroach on the wall! That was the final straw... we packed up our stuff and left!

We had to wake up the sleeping staff on the lobby floor and awkwardly wait as they put their clothes back on. The manager ended up refunding the money I paid for the room, but when we said we were going to write a review on TripAdvisor (because people have to know about this problem!) he specifically asked us not to because he refunded the money and then asked for the name of the hotel we were going to so he could come talk to us later! I said no, thank you and left as fast as I could!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
9 Thank Jessi0951
MinhHanoi, Manager at Hanoi Charming 2 Hotel, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Dear Jessi0951
Thank you very much for your choosing out hotel to stay in Hanoi.
On your birthday occasion ,we just wanted to organize a small thing which make you happiest but unluckily and beyond our imagination that the ant came.We have never crossed this situation before and we also do not know from where they came.
We would like to send you our deep apology for what happpened and promise to check everything the most carefully to avoid the same thing happen
Once again, thank you very much for selecting our Charming 2 for your stay. We can assure you that our staff will continue on our mission to deliver the best service.
We look forward to seeing in the future.
Sincerely yours
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Our experience here was an amazing one. My boyfriend and I enjoyed the comforts of the great air conditioned room with its clean facilities. Room was massive with a balcony. What we loved best was the great service they provided, the front reception staff mary and danny were great friendly people who helped us with booking tours taxis and giving us directions! they even upgraded us to a honeymoon suite!

Will definitely come back again very soon

Cheryl and Sungho

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cheryl C
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

I've stayed with my 12 years old son in this hotel for 4 nights.

It is well located in the old city. Rooms are clean and comfortable.

Service was fantastic. Each time we entered the hotel they greeted us warmly at the receptions and couple of times they even offered us free freshly squeezed juices.

When we returned from Sapa on the very early morning train they let us check in immediately to the room, at no extra charge.

Exceptional was Ms. Linda Nguyen, which helped us with every arrangement/question and is always full of positive energy.

An added bonus was the DVD player in the room - when it was too hot outside we simply bought some movies and stayed in the air conditioned room :)

Thank you hotel Charming 2!

Rami

Stayed May 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We had 3 stays in this hotel and each time only got better.The staff at the hotel were exceedingly friendly, treating us as if we were members of their family. This applied to all staff members but especially the reception staff.They bent over backwards to assist us even making a room available to us gratis whilst we transited between the train station and airport. The hotel is well located with lots of good restaurants nearby. Rooms were very comfortable and allowed for a quiet nights sleep.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony. There is no pool so forget about the rating for the pool.
1 Thank rblosfelds