“Hit and miss..but okay.”

Hanoi Boutique Hotel & Spa
Ranked #146 of 588 Hotels in Hanoi
Sydney, Australia
“Hit and miss..but okay.”
Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

Hanoi boutique hotel number 1

We stayed here twice, before and after a trip to halong bay.

The maze of narrow streets in the old town can make it tricky to find your way back especially as the night market takes the over the strees at sunset. Grab a card from your hotel's reception, they have maps locating the hotel on the back of the card. Most locals will point you in the right direction if you're lost.

The rooms here are a little potluck. Both our bathrooms flooded into the living area but nothing a well placed bath mat or two can't fix.

If you prefer a shower over a bath make sure you advise staff at check in.

Rooms at the front of the hotel overlook the street so if you sleep lightly ask for a room at the back, and preferably on an upper level. The lower level rooms at the back offer little ventilation and no view.

Some of the rooms have a damp problem. More than an overnight stay will leave your clothes smelly. Probably not good for asthmatics either.

The safe in the room didn't seem to work but the hotel is secure enough that valuables locked within your luggage should be fine.

The staff are very friendly and helpful with currency exchange available at reception at a comparable rate to other outlets without the fuss.

Wifi worked great in rooms 604 and 804.

Breakfast was good with plenty to choose from. If you are going on a city tour have a big breakfast, it could be 3pm or later before you are back at your hotel and then venture out to find something to eat.

Sights are within walking distance and there is plenty to see. We ventured out at 6am each morning to explore, take some pics and experience the old quarter coming to life.

I'd stay here again. After all, it's just a place to store your luggage, shower, get some sleep and have some breakfast.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank STEV72

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
London
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Great hotel in a good location to explore the sites of Hanoi. The hotel is about a 10min walk from the lake.
Service on arrival was excellent and we were shown up to our room by the porter, who also showed us how to use all of the facilities.
We stayed in rooms 702 and 802 and these had a slightly unusual arrangement with the shower in the bedroom - we found it good fun as we could talk about out day without having to shout through to the bathroom (as we usually do).
The hotel also held one of our bags for a couple of days whilst we went on a Ha Long Bay Junk trip.
Only one slight reservation about the location was that the Old Quarter is very noisy and on the 2nd night/morning of our split visit there was music playing, which we could hear in the room, until about 7am. It wasn't particularly loud but it did disturb our sleep.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jock-75London
Hong Kong, null, Hong Kong
Reviewed 27 March 2014

this is my second time stay in this hotel. I was trying to book the car in last mins. And the hotel manager was very helpful of my last mins request.
The room was very nice, clean and comfortable. Good location in old quarter, 2 mins away from night market...

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank Pollyliwy
Steelville, Missouri
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

I was fortunate enough to have two stays, totaling twenty days in February, in this excellent hotel. What I noticed immediately was the friendly greeting I received by the receptionist at the front desk on arriving the first time. My paperwork was handled in a friendly and efficient manner. The porter got me to my room quickly and showed me everything that was necessary for me to enjoy my stay there.

The next day I had breakfasts in the restaurant which was tastefully done and excellently managed. The buffet was of an appropriate size with many delicious choices. I particularly liked the choices of sliced fruit. Always conscious of those calories.

The young lady who handled the on-line reservations as well as the many day trips available was extremely helpful. I was immediately able to schedule trips to areas which I wanted to see. I was disappointed in none.

The hotel has a spa and it is well worth having a massage, or two, there. At present there are two masseuses present and both are highly trained. They are both competent and friendly. After my massage I felt as though it was money well spent.

The entire staff of the hotel made me feel as though I was at home in Hanoi's Old Quarter. While I had the chance to see and do much I must say that I also enjoyed coming back to the hotel. The meals which I at in the restaurant were extremely well done and presented. They were delicious! The price also was reasonable.

Would I go back. I already did. After my first stay there I went to Laos. When it was time to leave Laos I could not decide where to go next. I then remembered how much I liked Hanoi's Old Quarter and the Hanoi Boutique Hotel 1. I decided to go back for the eight days I had before I had to move on. When I visit Asia next year I will be going back to Vietnam and Hanoi. I will be staying once again at the Hanoi Boutique Hotel 1. It has the finest staff I have encountered and I stay at many hotels.

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank bfchappell
Cassino, Italy
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We are travelers from Cassino, Italy visiting Hanoi for a week. Through friends we knew about Hanoi boutique Hotel 1 on Ngo Gach street. We decided to book our nights there with no hesitation. We were warmly welcome by its staff and especially by Ms. Duong, the owner of the Hotel. No doubt, she is one of the most beautiful and charming women we have ever met in Vietnam. Through her stories, we love Vietnam more and more. We are also impressed by hotel's design and service. Can't complain anything. We strongly recommend you to stay there if you come to Hanoi.

Room Tip: High floor with street view
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Lamin0
melbourne , australia
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Lovely staff, room and breakfast. Wrote to the hotel from Cambodia to let them know my 83 year old mother had taken ill and to request ground floor room. When we got there the service rep made herself known and informed us she had upgraded us to a suite, which was beautiful. Also upgraded our boat on ha long bay. She really went out of her way for us. The location is excellent, down a narrow street, which our room overlooked. Breakfast was vey nice. Friend stayed in smaller room and that was nice too, although internal room with window overlooking staircase. I would request room with external window if possible. Reception staff were extremely helpful. Organised tour to pottery town and one of the staff accompanied us. All staff very attentive. Would recommend to all. Hotel has a lift. Had lunch in the restaurant one day. Food was very nice, more expensive than outside but still really cheap. Would definitely stay again. No pool or fitness centre. They do have a spa for hire, but I did not use it. Great coffee shops nearby - iced black yum!

Room Tip: Suites are gorgeous. Bedroom overlooks quiet street, separate lounge. Claw foot bath and walk-in sh...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

5 Thank DeborahPorter
Poznan, Poland
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Very good Hotel. Clean rooms. Nice atmosphere. Good location - near the Lake in the cemter of the city and Market. Exellent breakfast - vietnamise and basic european food. Friendly and helpfull staff.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends