“Perfect location, great staff !!”
Review of Lefoyer Hotel

Lefoyer Hotel
Ranked #164 of 601 Hanoi B&B and Inns
Leeds, England
“Perfect location, great staff !!”
Reviewed 4 December 2012

Myself & my wife stayed 2 nights early November.
Room was clean and tidy, bed and shower good.
Very friendly and helpful hotel staff. I was even invited to join them having a beer, and
some of their evening meal on the 1st evening. Given a portion of dried squid to take home !
The Manager also provided us with a 'special' breakfast dish the following morning.
Leaving our luggage after check-out whilst we went on a 1 night Halong Bay trip was also no problem at all. Collected again following evening en-route to airport.
Great value for money for a short stay and ideally located in the Old Quarter.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 30 April 2012

I only paid a third of what my fellow trade mission travellers paid for thier hotel. Thiers had a wonderful reception and nice breakfast room, mine didn't. But the rooms were nearly as good if a little smaller. They feature a hardwood floor (or are all these floors in Vietnam plastic?), large screen tv, netbook and a bed big enough for the Sultan of Kano to throw a party in. The bathroom has lots of smellies and a real bath. The only downside was that a cat kept having sex outside my window at night, but I don't think you can blame the hotel for that.
As I mentioned the breakfast room is small and the breakfast not great. The staff are great and extremely obliging; they booked regualr taxis for me without trying to take a cut. Had I reviewed this immediately after my visit I would have said that the location is perfect, but , I have recently returned and now favour somewhere a little away from the tourist area. Nevertheless its close to all that you will want for a few days visit. Including cafe 96, which is opposite and one of the best vietnamese restaurants around for prices below most. Also its around the corner from Le Pub, my favorite meeting place, and highly recommended if you can stand hearing Hotel California (which I can't).
For the price I can really recommend Le Foyer, especially if you are only in Hanoi for a few days and this is your first visit.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 3 March 2012

We stayed in this hotel for a number of days during our visit to Hanoi. The hotel is in an excellent location to walk easily around old town. The room was clean and offered everything we needed: nice bathroom, bed, tv, desk, safe. The staff were very helpful with our requests for laundry service, directions, and early morning check ins (5:30 AM one time). The complimentary breakfast was great and the girl who cooked it was very sweet. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: The rooms at the front of the hotel look out on the busy Hanoi streets - the back of the hotel gets...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 10 January 2012

We stayed here December 2011, and loved the hotel, it is within a 5 minute walk to the lake.

The rooms were very neat, clean & tidy, each room had it's own computer, didn't use it, as I had my little laptop.

Staff are all very friendly and helpful, we left our bags there when we went to Sapa, and they were kept in a locked up room.

Would definately stay there again

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
TN
Reviewed 28 December 2011

Our group stayed at the LeFoyer this past October for several nights. I would rate this hotel as basic - needing improvement.

Generally, the staff were accommodating but there were a few bumps. The most irritating was
we were accused of taking a t-shirt from the laundry (we sent out clothes to be laundered). We didn't have the shirt, but the staff continued to ask us for it rather aggressively. Honestly, we were a group in country for the purpose of doing charitable work. Stealing a random t-shirt wasn't on our agenda!

Location was an issue for this hotel.The street where this hotel is located was once only open for walking traffic. It is very narrow and during market time very crowded. It is also a street where meat is sold. As vegetarian's it was unpleasant to walk out of the hotel and have baskets full of whole chickens and other meats everywhere. Taxi's had great difficulty getting around the area.

We have stayed at similarly priced hotels in Hanoi that were located on nicer streets with an emphasis on customer service. In order to compete, LeFoyer needs to train their staff and update their rooms. This was our one and only stay at LeFoyer.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank HappyTN
Perth
Reviewed 7 December 2011

I stayed at this hotel in November 2011. First the good points. For the cost, the room (I stayed in a City View room) is excellent. Fairly large (for Hanoi central), well fitted out with new furnishings and spotlessly clean. The location is also excellent, being in the old quarter and just a few minutes walk to the northern end of Hoan Kiem Lake and central to a lot of night activity (restaurants) and day time activity (clothes markets etc.).

I would leave the review at the above paragraph and give an overall excellent rating to the hotel if it was not for their dishonest advertising.

Their web site claims that they have a Sauna Massage Centre. They do not.

Their website says "Lefoyer Bar & Restaurant offers all day dining and relaxing on the top floor, tt's so romantic and cool sight seeing Hoan Kiem lake, old quarter from the top view especialy at night!". There is no Bar & Restaurant in the hotel. I was told that it was closed down, but none of the staff I talked to could ever recall there being a Bar & Restaurant in the hotel.

There is no city view from the City View rooms. I was on the 2nd highest floor and all I could see were the back walls of an old building in the street behind. I doubt if the rooms in the top floor could see the city either as the building behind was higher.

Because of that deception (which is still showing on their website), I am giving the hotel an overall rating of Average. If you are the type that is out all day, then the lack of hotel facilities won't bother you. But if you are the type that want to relax in the hotel in the evening, then you will be disappointed that there is nothing to do outside your room. I don't know if the breakfast room, which is on the ground floor behind reception, is open for meals in the evening, but I think not. I never saw anyone in there at night. There is however a fairly good restaurant across the street (its called 96). The hotel does provide free Wi-Fi and there is a computer in the lobby for those without their own.

Room Tip: City View apparently are bigger rooms. Also, being at the back, no noise, but its not a noisy street...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank sawadee159
Winnabow, North Carolina
Reviewed 13 November 2011

Spent two nights in this hotel in mid-October 2011. The room was clean and comfortable. Occasionally there was limited hot water for bathing. The staff were friendly and very helpful.
The hotel is located on a narrow street in the old quarters of the city. Breakfast was delicious and the pho was some of the best we had in Vietnam. This hotel is very inexpensive, but the comfort and service are comparable to much more expensive hotels.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family