“Good location”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hanoi
Moonshine Palace Hotel
Ranked #188 of 473 Speciality Lodging in Hanoi
Reviewed 17 October 2012

I booked this hotel on the Internet and I have to admit that the photos look better than the real thing.
We flew into Hanoi and booked all of our excursions before we left the airport. I'm not sure if there was any advantage in doing that. We got a taxi to the hotel and it was a straightforward journey.
There was a good welcome and we were shown to our room that faced onto the street. I was disappointed with it and then my wife spotted a 'beastie'. We went downstairs and they changed our room without any fuss, checking for roaches before we went in. I have become accustomed to these cockroaches and I have seen them in clean places, but I still don't like them. Maybe it's because I'm a westerner.
The second room was clean and the bed was comfortable. We were only using it to sleep and the aircon worked.
That evening we found a lovely place to eat called Geko and we went back twice more.
We got used to ordering breakfast by pointing at the menu and I absolutely loved the Vietnamese coffee. I kept asking for more.
Chanitt was a very friendly and helpful member of the staff. He showed us where places were on the map and gave us advice.
The hotel is in the old quarter and it is ideally located to explore Hanoi on foot.
We found all of the Vietnamese in Hanoi to be so friendly. They asked us if we were ok when we were looking at the map and suggested places to go.
We only spent one day at HaLong Bay. This was a disappointment to me because I wanted to get in amongst the rocks rather than kayaking. Still I know next time. The highlight for me was seeing Ho Chi Mihn.
I have to say that this hotel is not luxurious and I felt more like a backpacker. If there is something in this hotel that you don't like then you have to tell them, otherwise they don't know that anything is wrong. Just assert yourself and tell them. I found that they want to learn and they will listen to what you want. Also, if they do something well let them know.
The hotel booked us a taxi to the airport and I paid upfront for it. I checked that the driver would not ask for more money. When we got to the airport the driver asked for more money. He did not get anymore out of me and I found this very annoying.
I love Hanoi and I love the coffee. It has to be one of my favourite cities.

Stayed: August 2012

Reviewed 26 July 2012 via mobile

What this place had for us: dirty beddings, crushed pieces of floor no has dared to sweep up, hosed shower with no wall bar (you have to hold it while you wash - the whole time), roaches in the bathroom, smelly towels. I know it's a budget hotel but it could've been at least clean. Plus, the two bottles of water in the fridge wasn't complementary.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed 24 April 2012

This hotel now operates under the name Lucky Queen Hotel, but has kept this name as well.

We stayed here for three nights and found the hotel itself to be ok, but the service very lacklustre and dishonest.

Good points: The room we had was a good size and had a balcony overlooking the street. For the price advertised ($25), I would say that it is not good value, but with the $5 discount per night it was fair value. The room had a minibar, air con that worked, and a TV (albeit with very poor signal). The location is good. Breakfast is varied and good for a free breakfast in vietnam.

Bad points: As mentioned the TV had very bad signal. The room had cockroaches. The bathroom needed better ventilation and smelled. A drink been spilt all over our minibar and had not been cleaned up. The main member of staff will try and sell you anything, regardless of whether or not it is what you need: i.e. an 8 hour, $28 dollar ride to Cat Ba when you need to get there quickly and an $8, 4 hour service is available at the bus-station (he will tell you it isn't). Once the same member ofstaff has noticed you will not buy a tour, he will be grumpy, will not greet you back and will be reluctant to give you the optional honey with your breakfast. Even worse, at least two members of the staff will deliberately try to charge you out at an inflated exchange rate of 21.5 when you check out (enough to add $4 dollars to our 3 night stay).

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank alshda
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Stayed at the Moonshine Palace (also known as Lucky Queen Hotel) for a couple of nights. Staff were really helpful, letting us check in early after arriving very tired on a night train and helping us to book tours in and around the area. A lot of hotels will offer you trips and add on a commission but we got a quote and checked out the same trip with other operators and our hotel offered by far the best price. They were just really heplful and not at all pushy. The price included a great breakfast and the location was perfect - a quiet (for Hanoi) street and only 5 minutes from Hoan Kiem lake. Would recommend a stay here.

Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Overall all i give the place a 2/5 due to my experience with the service, i have no complaints about the room, the food and the location, here are my 2 cents :

When sending out an email to the hotel, they take a while to respond now due to this...we waited for an hour at the airport upon our arrival..if we did not call them then we would not have been picked up.

We were given a pretty decent room upon arrival but we had to move to another room since the A/C did not work.(and there were no lifts and i had to transfer the baggage myself)

Upon purchasing a tour package to halong bay, the 30% discount rate which was printed on the voucher we brought was not honored.

and yes.. who booked our tickets to the bus to Vientiane? it was a nightmare. and i felt really ripped off, it was not what was advertised. If you are not connected with this bus company then please stop doing business with them =)

keep up the good work with your receptionists though, "chillin" was helpful.

Room Tip: no lifts so better practice your cardio =p and ohh by the way, there are many food stalls across...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 January 2012

This is a pretty good hotel in a great location. We arranged for pickup at the airport at a reasonable price. There was someone waiting for us with a sign and took us right to the hotel. Be aware that the hotel does not say "Moonshine Palace" on the outside, so I was worried that we were being scammed, but there was no problem and the owners were the same people I had spoken with. Our room was on the third floor at the back of the hotel. Rooms are very plain with a window that looks into the wall of another building, so no natural light, but we prefer that because you can sleep in without light bothering you. Rooms very clean with freshly laundered linens. Wifi worked great; good signal and no problems. TV had limited choices but several channels were in English. Very safe location and rooms themselves felt very safe. Our room was two floors above the kitchen so it was a bit noisy in the mornings and evenings, but certainly not too bad. Mattresses were a bit hard, but that is standard in Vietnam. We booked our tour to Halong Bay (3 days/2 nights) through the hotel. The price was competitive with other hotels and we had a wonderful tour. I would highly recommend booking there. The staff was friendly and helpful with decent English. The hotel is nothing too special, but is certainly good for the price and is a reasonable budget place to stay in Hanoi.

Note: in our experience, the photos most of the hostels post in Vietnam are not actually photos of the rooms. I think its pretty standard.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank whataryder
Reviewed 25 December 2011

A budget priced hotel that offered great service in the heart of the old quarter of Hanoi. Rooms were clean, beds were comfortable and Miss An & Mr Tony spoke good English
Our first point of contact in Vietnam and really helpful in organizing local tours, trains, and transport to Hoi An Bay. Very friendly reception

Room Tip: There is no lift so 2nd floor is best option
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family