“Still excellent - highly recommended for Hanoi stays”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Prestige Hotel

and 1 more site!
Prestige Hotel
Ranked #260 of 578 Hotels in Hanoi
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Still excellent - highly recommended for Hanoi stays”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2013

I always stay at this excellent relatively new city-centre hotel during my regular visits to Hanoi and have just returned from another long stay there (winter 2012-13) - it was agreeably busy and the place is clearly popular with international visitors, both couples/families and moderate sized tour groups. It's evident that the Prestige managerment is committed to maintaining high levels of quality and service - much effort still made to keep the facilities in good order and the staff well-trained and eager to help. The Prestige has proved repeatedly to be the ideal choice for me as a solo traveller: it's safe, friendly, welcoming, has very high standards of courteous service and a very well maintained property. Location: it's in the pleasant French Quarter, which in my opinion is superior in every way to the crowded and noisy places some tourists go for in the Old Quarter. Pham Dinh Ho is excellent for anyone wanting easy access to the Opera House and other city-centre points of interest (e.g. Hoan Kiem Lake is 5 mins by taxi; the Old Quarter for shops and atmosphere only 10 mins by taxi). There are 3 lovely restaurants serving excellent VN food in converted French villas within 2-10 mins walk of the Prestige: Au Lac House is my favourite. The hotel's restaurant is fine (mostly Western food), and in good weather there's a rooftop bar and pool. Overall: very comfortable, really good value, still highly recommended.

Room Tip: I always have a mini-suite/deluxe - worth a bit more for the extra space since I go for long stays...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Venicetraveller14

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2013

Rooms:
We were fortunate to have our two rooms upgraded to Deluxe Suites (one king and one twin + extra single). These rooms were larger than average with a two 'his and hers' basins in the bathroom. Getting out of the shower/bath is awkward due to the deep bath, and could be regarded as a safety hazard. Hand rails on the wall would be of great assistance.

The telephone in one our rooms wasn't working, but this was due to the cable slipping out of the sockets (both ends), due to the little plastic lug on those connectors being broken.

We needed some power adaptors, and these were promptly supplied with a power board allowing us to charge all our items at once.

Since the room is quite large, the television is not in a location suitable to watch from the bed, as it is on a wall off to the side.

Restaurant: We only had breakfast in the hotel, on the first floor, and the buffet was acceptable.

Location: We had a private tour guide and driver, and the location was not an issue for us. It is, however, not as close to the old quarter as other hotels are, and the walk may be a little too far for some.

WiFi: Free and speed was good. A LAN cable also available at the desk, but we didn't use this.

Heating: Being winter, having a reverse cycle aircondtioner in the room was very useful.

Laundry: We chose to have our laundry done outside the hotel on a 'bag' basis (per kg), and returned to the hotel. Rather than call us down to reception to collect, staff escorted the delivery driver to our room for delivery, and reminded us to check that everything was there. This was good service from the hotel staff.

Overall, quite happy with our two night stay at this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Oakwood

3 Thank RRY_11
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2013

We booked the Presige Hotel since we were arriving in Hanoi late and leaving arly on a Halong Bay cruise. The hotel was minutes from the pick up so we thought we would try it. Before we arrived i was a bit concerned that the hotel would be very basic but I was pleasantly surprised. The Staff were delightful, they could not do enough. The room was perfectly adequate and spotless. We ordered room service and the food was not great but edible. I cant comment on the location but it was ideal for us.

Remember this is not a 5 star Luxury resort hotel, if you want one of those you will pay four times the price. however if you are looking for a quality budget hotel this is the perfect place.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Stuart S
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2012 via mobile

Nice hotel rooms more of the standard hotel size, bathroom is roomy with a separate shower. The only downfall is that the carpet in the rooms could have been steam cleaned to remove past stains.

Staff are friendly and try to assist with your every need. The bar staff could not cope with a group of 15 quickly but we were on holidays so it was not an issue.

Pool on the roof too is vey small but in winter we didn't use it or the pool bar.

Location is fairly close to the old city quarter. Breakfast buffet has a broad range of fresh food.

• Stayed December 2012
Manila
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2012 via mobile

Just left Prestige and on the road now to a different city. Location wise, this is a good hotel although I wouldnt really know how far this hotel is from major tourist destinations as I am joining a tour group. I just know that it is pretty near the spots.

Room is clean and has the usual needed amenities. My room didnt have a view but its okay. Elevator service was acceptable. Stayed in floor number 4. Pillows and beddinga were clean. Water pressure is great! Bathroom is more suitable for couples because it has glass walls visie from the room.

Breakfast is just okay. Nothing special. I didnt find anything delicious.

One of our tourmates lost his room key. Be warned that they charge 6usd for lost keys. It might be because they utilize rfid tech. Not the usual insert keycard access type.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Cheftonio
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2012

Perhaps I was expecting too much from Prestige, considering some of the very positive recent reviews. As a result, my stay there was generally disappointing.

The best thing about Prestige is the staff. From top to bottom, the staff are friendly, attentive and helpful. No complaints there.

Some aspects of the rooms are also nice. The amenities provided are quite good; free bottled water is provided; flat-screen TVs are new and sharp and the channel selections are excellent. Complimentary fruit and wifi appreciated. A good functioning room safe useful. And the beds and linens are very comfortable -- might even say luxurious.

But, there are also lots of flaws in the rooms. As noted by several other reviewers, the glass partition between the sleeping area and the bathrooms is weird (although shades can be pulled down to minimize the effect). The room I was assigned was rather small, with a small closet and no drawers for socks, underwear, and other small items of clothes. The carpet was dirty and had burn marks in a couple of places. The furniture was somewhat cheap and poor quality; the desk chair in my room nearly collapsed under me when I leaned back in it. Worst of all, was a very unpleasant odor in the shower -- not just musty, but more of an ugly sewer smell. Not pleasant at all!

The complimentary breakfast offerings were good, with a reasonable selection, but inconsistent. The morning of the first day I stayed, the bacon was perfect, but succeeding days, the quality went down dramatically. The omelet I had one morning was pretty good, but didn't include the onions I had asked for, and they had no mushrooms to include (how can you make good omelets without mushrooms?). Nice selections of fruit and cheese provided.

The hotel is located a bit far from Hoan Kiem Lake and the Old Quarters of Hanoi, so you pretty much need a taxi to go anywhere, although the fare will be only a couple of dollars. Or you could walk if a bit ambitious and energetic.

One thing I really DO like about the place is that they very efficiently arrange taxi service to the airport for departing customers, using a voucher/coupon system that eliminates hassles, and for a very reasonable 250,000 dong (approx US$12.50). Bravo to Prestige for not gouging customers for transport to the airport!!

I'm a harsh critic, but I really don't like to give poor ratings to a place that seems to be trying hard, like this one. I waivered between rating Prestige "average" or "poor" but decided to give them the benefit of the doubt, mainly because the staff are so pleasant and seem to be trying very hard. Perhaps I also just had bad luck and ended up with one of their poorer rooms. Overall, I think this hotel has excellent potential, but they need to seriously invest in renovating some of their rooms (e.g., the one I stayed in!), absolutely get rid of unpleasant ordors, and continue to improve the consistency of their breakfast service. Building on the strong staff skills, and with additional investments and upgrates, this could be a very nice hotel and even warrant an "excellent" rating. I'll probably give it another chance on a future visit to Hanoi and hope for a better room. But a repeat stay like this one would undoubtedly kill my willingness to stay there again for good, despite the excellent staff. The way things look, this hotel seems on the cusp and could move up to be truly excellent or slip into oblivion.

Room Tip: Perhaps they have some renovated rooms; if so, try to avoid older ones not renovated.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Raintree_Thailand
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2012

Everything is great about this place except the following 2

1. They claim to be a 4 Star property but not really more than a 3!!
2. Buffet Breakfast is absolutely terrible. Couldn't muster enough courage to go for breakfast beyond just 2 mornings in my total stay of more than a week :(

Friendly staff, Comfortable clean /hygienic rooms, Decent Room Service, Good Location along with a mini swimming pool & fitness club :))

Good only for a short business trip! Definitely not if u looking for Relaxation, Honeymoon or a Leisure Trip!

Room Tip: Ask for Rooms facing the Street & Bargain a deal through E-Mail before arrival!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Debjyoti S
PrestigeHanoi, Guest Relations Manager at Prestige Hotel, responded to this review, 10 December 2012
Dear Mr. Debjyoti S,

Greeting from Prestige Hotel Hanoi and hope this email finds you well.

On behalf of Management Team, I would like to thank for your time spending on writing us comments. In order to improve the service day by day, it is highly appreciated to get the knowledge from valued customers. We will take it seriously and work out with our team. We do hope to have another chance to welcome you and make your stay memorable at Prestige Hotel Hanoi.

Once again thank you very much and best regards,
Guest Relations Manager