“Excellent location, clean hotel, good staff”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hanoi
Rising Dragon Cathedral Hotel
Ranked #297 of 599 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed 23 February 2014

My sister and I stayed here while travelling Vietnam. We stayed here twice.

The rooms are large and clean, with quaint little balconies overlooking the rooftops. The beds here are like all beds in Vietnam; hard. There's nothing that can be done about this, I guess this is just Asian style.

I loved the location of this place, the surrounding narrow alleys and lanes, with colonial balconies make it feel like you're travelling in Paris of the Orient. It's a 15 minute walk to the opera house and close to the lake.

The included breakfast is nothing special, but the friendly and helpful staff more than make up for it.

Room Tip: Try to get a room not facing the cathedral.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

I quite enjoyed the location of this hotel - it is close to the old quarter but tucked away on a rather quiet street with not too much traffic (if you know Hanoi, you know to appreciate this). We stayed here during Christmas time, so being right next to the cathedral meant we got to hear some of the Christmas mass, which was nice.

The rooms are a little run down from usage but still clean and in good condition. Their bathrooms are quite nice too. Most rooms seem to have a little balcony as well. Breakfast is included and their omelette is quite tasty, as are their banana pancakes and pho.

Their rates are great and their staff is very helpful and friendly. Two people in our group had their birthday the day we checked out and at breakfast we asked them to make a smiley face/birthday note on their breakfast pancake, but the hotel staff went out of their way to get a cake for them instead (at their own expense -- of course we insisted to compensate them for it later)!

Their credit card machine wasn't working when we checked out to head to Halong Bay, but we had another night booked after we were to return 2 nights later, so they just offered that we pay them upon our final check out, which was very forthcoming.

We also referred to their website when booking our Halong Bay cruise (we booked Paloma), which we loved!!

Room Tip: No elevators, so if that's an issue for you, get a lower floor. I think we stayed in 403 (top f...
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We stayed here over Christmas and it was a great choice as we were next to the cathedral and events were happening right outside our balcony - there was a really nice mood to the area especially when you can hear the choir from outside and see locals gathering around the cathedral.

The other great thing about the location is that it is easy to tell taxis where your hotel is without actually having to name your hotel. It is more efficient and avoids the awkward "I don't know where it is" conversation with your taxi driver. *Tip: When jumping out of the taxi at the cathedral, do so quickly and exit on the curb side (not the street side) as taxi drivers may get hefty fines for dropping you off (the front of the cathedral is a non-stopping zone).

The hotel itself is on a relatively quiet street with cute boutique stores and many small food joints. There's a Belgian restaurant on the same street if you are after Euro food (I didn't have food there but it looked nice).

We booked the family room which is quite large, it fits a queen bed and two single beds. It seems that any rooms ending with "01" would have this size (regardless of bed configuration) and face the street and cathedral. We have been in room 201 and 401 (top floor).

Room 201 had a slightly musty smell but it was spacious and once you open the doors or use the aircon it's fine. The wallpaper could do with a new makeover but with Hanoi's humidity in the summer, I'm not surprised they have not budgeted for its constant maintenance. The sheets were clean and the bed was comfortable. I thought their blankets were very airy and fluffy which was nice. My favourite aspect of the room was the bathroom which was very spacious. The shower had a large frosted window which allowed natural light to shine in to the room. For the price we paid, this was excellent value.

Room 402 is more of a honeymoon suite, with a fancy bathtub and separate shower, the bathroom was huge. There was no smell in this room and receives a lot of sunlight. The room had more furniture but to sleep more than two people a rollaway bed needs to be added. The issue with the 4th floor is that there is quite a few flights of stairs which may not be suited to some people - I'm usually breathless by the time I get to my room but it was a good work out from whatever overindulgent meal I just had.

I had a peak at the other rooms on the other side and they looked really nice, they don't seem to have the same grandiose view but probably quieter and cosier.

Best things about the hotel:
Location - streets aren't too chaotic or cramped in this neighbourhood, cathedral makes it a good landmark for taxis, nice boutique shops and cafes in the area, close to the lake, close to a Western-style supermarket (Intemix), walkable to the big Post Office
Room - spacious, most amenities are available such as kettle, tea/coffee, teacups, TV with cable, aircon, complimentary toiletries, large bathroom, safe, towels...If you get a balcony, it is GREAT, nice place to have a morning coffee and watch locals go about their business
Hotel - very nice service, smiles abound, if you want anything just ask and they will generally oblige - Do your washing as it only costs $1US per kilo (usually 24 hour turnaround), breakfast is freshly cooked and made to order (pretty tasty too - go for the omelet!) - we brought our own baguette and they were happy to cut it up for us to have with our eggs. Do book an airport taxi transfer with them and save a lot of money and hassle. They brought our luggage up and down the stairs for us, which is quite fair as they don't have a lift. The cleaners are all very friendly and smiled at us everytime we passed them. Main staff were always courteous and said hello and goodbye everytime we passed them too.

Things to Improve:
Location - nothing to improve - being next to the cathedral means you will hear church bells go off a fair bit, and quite audible. It didn't bother me at all nor my travel companions and felt it added charm to the whole experience. May be a problem if you are a really light sleeper.
Room - a little scruffy but for the price I can't complain, but I suppose some maintenance couldn't hurt and more likely to get even more positive recommendations
Hotel - The only thing I would recommend is perhaps having a sheet somewhere that has useful details like number to reception, how to use the TV, other services they provide such as laundry and how much they cost

Overall, this was a great base for our travels in Hanoi. We visited a different hotel for dinner which was also considered boutique but it lacked authenticity and felt that it was trying too hard to please the Western tourist. If you are after a luxurious penthouse you are looking at the wrong place but if you want a Vietnamese experience this is it, you can live without the jacuzzi for a few days.

Room Tip: Choose a lower floor if stairs bother you. Church bells are audible from the room, if you are a ligh...
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Due to my job, I must go in Hanoi at least twice a month, and every time, Rising Dragon is my best choice. Service is great, staff very attention and spacious room…. Great… Clean…. Great view on the Saint Joseph Cathedral...

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I stayed here last week. Few positives
1) Excellent location just few steps from the cathedral
2) The staff is really friendly and helpful
3) The room we took was on fourth floor with an average view outside, but they were spacious
4) The complimentary breakfast is good value for money

One negative
1) No elevators so have to climb up the stairs with the luggage (though staff helps in moving the luggage)

Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

- fabulous location next to the Cathedral
- close to shopping and restaurants walking distance to markets and Lake etc
- beautiful clean room with best bathroom we have had in Vietnam
- good price
- balcony overlooking the busy streets and Cathedral.
- friendly reception staff
- Air con
- free wifi

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

Good food, free breakfast and wifi as promised. Rooms were clean and nice. The rooms in the 4th floor were a bit of a hassle as there are no elevators. However, for the money they charge I think it's totally worth it.

The location is very good if you don't mind the ringing bells of the cathedral. Hanoi is just so energetic and lively that I found the bells soothing. However some people might not like the ringing every half hour.

P.S. - The corner opposite the cathedral, there is a very happening sidewalk where the coffee is amazing!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends