“Dirty and poor housekeeping”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hanoi
Rising Dragon Cathedral Hotel
Ranked #270 of 598 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

I have check in one of the room and the wallpaper.. toilet .. bed .. balcony is all dirty. I will never return to this hotel again even offer a service recovery. Wallpaper all run down with dirt and stain.

• Stayed: May 2014
There are newer reviews for Rising Dragon Cathedral Hotel

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Booked online for our first 2 nights in Hanoi. Then decided that it was good enough for our entire trip, so we continued staying on at this hotel for an additional 3 nights after visiting Ha Long bay.

Great location - on a quiet street, not many vehicles' noises at night; but took me a while to get used the cathedral bells which go off every hour.

Room was sufficiently clean and comfortable. There was a small balcony where we had some nice views of the Old Quarter for picturesque moments. Wifi was incredibly speedy, though the connection dropped and they had to get someone to fix it. Wasn't really an issue for us.

I don't usually care much for hotel breakfasts, but having Pho for breakfast was something I enjoyed everyday. They bring in the hot soupy noodles from outside the hotel, while the other fares from the menu are made in their kitchen. The coffee served was also amazing!

Staff were very friendly & helpful, and spoke fluent English.

Good value for money. Will definitely visit Hanoi again and hope to stay here on our return.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We booked this hotel on booking.com 2 weeks before we arrived in Ha noi. The hotel sent me an email the next day confirming the reservation and asked if I needed a cab from the airport- I replied No.

We arrived to find that they had double booked us and tried to blame booking.com who they said, didn't send them the reservation- complete lie. They found another place for us to stay which was beautiful, but unfortunately had to go back the following day as they had no room for 2 nights. So we packed up and went back to the rising dragon.

The room was damp and had an awful smell, but as an apology they gave us fruit and flowers in the room, nice touch.

After breakfast, which is pointless, don't bother- We checked out and made payment. We left for Halong Bay. I didn't book Ha long bay through the hotel, despite their own travel agency, simply because I didn't trust them.

That evening, on a boat in Ha long Bay the tour leader passes me his mobile and tells me that the hotel need to speak with me. I took the call, although very broken English and awful reception, I understood that the payment that they had taken was incorrect. They had taken 87c instead of USD 87. They asked me for my card details to make urgent payment- Of course I said No, why would I give some random person on the phone my card details!!

I said to them that I was in the middle of nowhere with no cash machine and I wasn't going to give them my card details over the phone, they should contact booking.com.

The lady became very angry and said that this problem wasn't her managers fault, she wore glasses and cant see properly!!! Unbelievable!! Her incompetency was because she wore glasses. So, once again they lied and didn't accept accountability.

I understand mistakes happen, but on both occasions they tried to deny that it was their fault that the booking and payment was incorrect! THEY TOOK THE MONEY ANYWAY WITHOUT MY AUTHORITY OR WARNING!

The only good thing to say about this hotel is the location.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

We booked this hotel after seeing such good reviews on this website. Although we liked the room, we had problems with the hotel staff and eventually had to leave.

The hotel itself, although nothing spectacular, is a nice place to stay in Hanoi. It's in a good location in the heart of the old quarter, and it was quite nice to hear the cathedral bells ringing outside. The rooms were spacious and had everything you need - the bed was comfy, there was a HUGE tv and even a laptop in the room, which was useful. The bathroom was also nice with a hot rainfall shower which we appreciated in the cold weather. Didn't have any complaints about the room, it was pleasant and did the job.

However we had problems with the staff. Our plane was delayed on the day we checked in, so we got to the hotel at midnight, completely knackered. The receptionist even said we must be tired, and then proceeded to tell us our room was double booked and we would have to go to the sister hotel for the night - it was midnight, so we flat out refused, and then our room suddenly became available. Fair enough this happens sometimes, but don't try it on at midnight...

We had also booked to stay 2 nights through Agoda, but extended to 4 on arrival. The receptionist waited until the morning we were originally meant to check-out to tell us that we'd somehow booked a double room for 1 person, not 2, and would add $5 per night to the bill. We checked the booking and agreed we had made this mistake, and subsequently couldn't afford to stay longer with new price - so went and booked a hotel we knew was cheaper nearby. When we came back to get our stuff and settle the bill we quickly looked at Agoda to verify what we had been told, and seemingly the price for our room, whether 1 or 2 people were staying, was the same. The staff told us we were wrong, then checked only after we disagreed for a while, and eventually charged us the original price. We received no apologies seeing as these extra charges, which turned out to be wrong anyway, had forced us to quickly pack up & leave the hotel that morning.

It's behaviour like this that unfortunately gives places a bad name. We can't work out whether it was a genuine mistake or not, but the fact that staff didn't back down when they're wrong felt like they were trying to con us out of our money. I'd recommended the hotel for the rooms as they were nice, but the way the reception staff dealt with us made us happy to have to leave for a new hotel anyway. We found a brilliant hotel (Symphony Hotel) down the road for much cheaper.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank thelasthobnob
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I stayed at Rising Dragon for about a week, extending my stay a few times and the staff was accommodating of that.

My room was quite large. The shower was warm with decent pressure. Bed was large and comfortable; it was not as hard as other beds I've experienced in Vietnam. Wifi was strong, TVs had good channels.

Be aware that there is no lift, so if you end up on the 3rd or 4th floor you'll have some hiking to do.

The staff were very friendly, spoke good English, and were always helpful.

The breakfast is cooked to order and it's hit or miss. Go for the banana pancakes. Skip the omelettes and fruit plate.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 February 2014

My sister and I stayed here while travelling Vietnam. We stayed here twice.

The rooms are large and clean, with quaint little balconies overlooking the rooftops. The beds here are like all beds in Vietnam; hard. There's nothing that can be done about this, I guess this is just Asian style.

I loved the location of this place, the surrounding narrow alleys and lanes, with colonial balconies make it feel like you're travelling in Paris of the Orient. It's a 15 minute walk to the opera house and close to the lake.

The included breakfast is nothing special, but the friendly and helpful staff more than make up for it.

Room Tip: Try to get a room not facing the cathedral.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 January 2014

I quite enjoyed the location of this hotel - it is close to the old quarter but tucked away on a rather quiet street with not too much traffic (if you know Hanoi, you know to appreciate this). We stayed here during Christmas time, so being right next to the cathedral meant we got to hear some of the Christmas mass, which was nice.

The rooms are a little run down from usage but still clean and in good condition. Their bathrooms are quite nice too. Most rooms seem to have a little balcony as well. Breakfast is included and their omelette is quite tasty, as are their banana pancakes and pho.

Their rates are great and their staff is very helpful and friendly. Two people in our group had their birthday the day we checked out and at breakfast we asked them to make a smiley face/birthday note on their breakfast pancake, but the hotel staff went out of their way to get a cake for them instead (at their own expense -- of course we insisted to compensate them for it later)!

Their credit card machine wasn't working when we checked out to head to Halong Bay, but we had another night booked after we were to return 2 nights later, so they just offered that we pay them upon our final check out, which was very forthcoming.

We also referred to their website when booking our Halong Bay cruise (we booked Paloma), which we loved!!

Room Tip: No elevators, so if that's an issue for you, get a lower floor. I think we stayed in 403 (top f...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends