“perfect location and hotel”

Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi - MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #77 of 588 Hotels in Hanoi
london
“perfect location and hotel”
Reviewed 18 June 2012

The hotel is very close to the Metropole hotel and the Hilton. It is upmarked area of Hanoi but walking distance to the night markets.
The taxis are very cheap and you can always take one outside the hotel.
The fare to the airport was about GBP 15.00
We had the lowest category room but it was big enough with very nice bed and great bathroom with L'Occitane toileteries.
On a Saturday morning they had a very loud music coming from outside. Impoissible to sleep at 0600am. I did ask reception and they told me it was a comunist parade. Maybe will be good to advise the guests in advance if they know.
Based on the location and room quality , a very nice place to stay.

Room Tip: the rooms overlooking the road can be noisy
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
HoteldelOpera, General Manager at Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, 19 June 2012
Dear moschino24_98,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi- member of MGallery Collection

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Launceston, Australia
Reviewed 14 June 2012

We had a real blast at this hotel. It was our last hotel before flying home so we lashed out a bit and treated ourselves. It was so modern and had the feel of a gallery (but not pretentious) . The rooms were great, spacious an well appointed. The beds were like huge marshmallows and the best sleep I had in Vietnam was here. I really can't fault a thing with this hotel. The pool was great and clean and refreshing. The bathroom products were l'occitane and very lovely. In a great area, much more quiet than the old quarter and close to great restaurants and shopping. The drinks and food at the hotel are pretty expensive but with so many other places to eat close by it was never an issue. Great stay.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Sarah H,

Singapore
Reviewed 11 June 2012

Arrived at Hotel for a 4 day 3 night weekend breakaway trip. Check in hotel was a breeze which takes less than 10 minutes and I am being brought up to my room at level 6. The room was nice and big with all the necessary amenities.

The hotel location was good and quiet from the rowdy traffic. It was only a short 5 minutes walk to Hoan Kiem Lake and a 10 minutes walk to the Old Quarters and the Water Puppets Theater.

I was given a surprise by the hotel with complimentary wine, cake and tarts on my birthday night after I was back from dinner. The staff must have noticed from my passport or the form which I have filled up during the check-in as neither my husband nor myself have mention to anyone during my check-in.

The staff is helpful and is ever ready to help us to call a restaurant @ West Lake and get a cab for us whenever we need one.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2012 via mobile

This was our first time in Vietnam so we made a flying visit to a few different destinations including Hanoi. The hotel is very nice with a good location and the rooms were clean and comfortable. One novelty though was the bed was huge (both in surface area and height). You just about need a small step ladder to get up onto it but very comfortable. Might be a bit of an issue if you don't have great mobility though. Breakfast was included and was typical western style with some Vietnam cuisine in the mix (Pho Noodles). The food was nice enough. In Hanoi itself, it isn't as modern as Saigon (interesting as this is the Capitol City) but it was still a lot of fun. The old quarter (strong French influence) boasts a whole range of shops and restaurants. We had some clothes made there at very good prices but shop around because it can vary and try to pick someone who can speak some English. This isn't their strong suit (particularly in Hanoi) but this doesn't generally detract from the great time you have there. When you go there, if you get the chance, go to Harlong Bay but recommend staying overnight as it is a long day busing it up and back (and don't get too nervous about the drivers, that's just the way they do it in Vietnam). Take a boat ride (or maybe overnight on one). It's a beautiful place to visit and worth trip up to there.

Would recommend staying the Hotel De L'Opera.

Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RamblingNT
Dear RamblingNT,

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 8 June 2012

I stayed here with my family for two nights as we toured through Ha Noi - Ha Long Bay - Hoi An.

The hotel is in a good location and is in excellent condition. The room was very modern, comfortable, well-maintained, and able to accommodate a roll-away bed; nice bathroom. Front desk staff were friendly and accommodating. The breakfast was very good. We liked the location as mentioned in other reviews. I would definitely stay here again if I were in Ha Noi. No complaints.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank rle99
Dear rle99,

Thank you for taking time to write your comments toward Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Muscat, Oman
Reviewed 7 June 2012

As a place to sleep and base yourself for sightseeing, I can't fault this hotel. It’s new and the hotel is quite hip although the rooms are on the small side. The service at the restaurant though was appalling both at breakfast and at dinner (they were good enough not to charge me for my dinner after I complained). The concierge was even worse: I asked them about the agency I had used to book my Ha Long Bay cruise and they couldn’t be less interested; they couldn’t even book for me Water Puppet tickets. For lunch and dinner after the first night we always ate at the Metropole which was fantastic – we wish we had splurged and stayed there for the extra $90 a night for the impeccable service and unique historic and colonial ambience. Meanwhile, the concierge at the Metropole, unlike at the L’Opera, did two things for us despite the fact that we were not guests: i) telephoned the Water Puppet theatre to book tickets as well as provided us with the actual tickets then and there; and ii) telephoned the actual boat we were meant to be sailing on for our Ha Long Bay cruise to re-confirm our booking and to ensure the agent we had used was legitimate before handing over to them the cash for the cruise - most helpful indeed. If you can't afford to stay anywhere else, just try to avoid eating at the L'Opera and don't waste your time with their concierge.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
HoteldelOpera, General Manager at Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, 12 June 2012
Dear S O,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. Whilst we were happy to hear that you enjoyed certain aspects of your stay with us, learning that we failed to meet with your expectations in other areas was of course very disappointing. However, I genuinely appreciate some of the points raised in your review, which are valid and do indeed require our immediate attention.
I am actually very new to this property and my primary task is to take stock following the hotel’s recent opening and to identify and address areas of improvement. In every hotel, this tends to be an on-going task, however, as you can probably imagine, in a newly-opened property it often turns out that systems the way that were designed in theory pre-opening, turn out to be impractical or unworkable later on.
Currently our tour desk is contracted out to specialist provider and implementing a proper Concierge service is high up on my list. With regards to the disappointing dining experience, I would like to think that this was an unfortunate blip as our young and highly motivated team usually generate much praise. Having said, your case is being investigated right now to find out what went wrong so that the necessary training can be initiated immediately. If there is any way we could persuade to return to this property at some point in the future, I feel confident that you will find that these issues will have been addressed and standards improved.
In the meantime, I would once again like to apologise for the disappointment we have caused and assure you that every effort will be made to improve our service standards. Should you decide to return to us, please do not hesitate to contact me directly to assist you with your arrangements.