“Stunning Hotel in great spot near Old Quarter Hanoi”

Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi
Ranked #83 of 599 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed 6 November 2013

This beautiful 5 star hotel is not cheap, by Hanoi standards, but is still very cheap by world standards - for what is simply a beautiful, world class hotel. The staff were fabulous, the breakfast was sensational and attended to both Eastern and Western needs. The rooms are very funky, clean and beautifully presented. The location is a very short walk to all of Hanoi's good bits like Old Quarter, Ho's mausoleum and museum, the lakes etc. They also organised our airport transfers both ways for us, with ease and no massive add on costs.The concierge was brilliant at making recommendations, even down to the street food recommendations and where to get good massage. It is true - if you go to Hanoi and don't eat the street version of "bun cha", you should be locked up. It was lovely. I would go back and stay at this hotel in a heart beat.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Hotel de lOpera H, General Manager at Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Dear Stuey B,

Thank you for the 5 star review, it's always a pleasure to receive such a great feedback. At Hotel de l'Opera hanoi, we try to create a hotel that impresses our guests, in this case we had succeeded.

Thanks so much for the high praise and I have passed this on to our team who are just simply thrilled to have made the difference to your stay with us.

We are eager to see you return soon to Hotel de l'Opera - an Operatic glamour in the heart of Hanoi. Let me know when you are coming back - We’ll ensure more of the same as your first visit!

Bodo Klingenberg,

Write a ReviewReviews (1,526)

Reviewed 2 November 2013

The hotel is very centrally located. Most of the rooms give on an internal void where people have breakfast, chill out at a bar, organize weddings; as you can immagine there is so much noise that it's impossible to sleep. Internet is extremely slow in the rooms and the personnel told me that to solve these issues I was compelled to change room. So after packing all my stuff in 2 suitcases again and move to the other room I faced the same internet issues as in the first room. I was then said that I did not have to worry because an IT manager would have solve the problem. This guy could not solve tge problem on his own and had to wait for mento be in the room and change the settings on my computer. The result was that at end of my week of accomodation I could use internet a still very bad internet quality connectivity only the last day. Of course still my tablet and phone had a very slow connectivity. Shirts given to laundry arenalmost not starched, even thoufh you request it, and they don' fold them into plastic so that they get crunchy not only when placed in the suitcase for travelling, but in the same hotel at the point I had to have my shirts ironed again. At breakfast there is not singularly packed yougurt. The fried noodles are everyday coocked in a different style whichbis not a wantes variety for the custoker bit just a laco of standardization procedures. The director Mr Bodo only apologized for the internet problem, but a sad customer needs to be partially refunded or pampered since he paid for a service that was not delivered.it's a shame dor the Accor chain.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank PierbrunoProfili
Hotel de lOpera H, General Manager at Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Dear PierbrunoProfili,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, even though we were disappointed to have so thoroughly failed to meet with your expectations. Please allow me to comment as follows: our internet service is completely unrestricted and free. Whilst this is a much appreciated service, the disadvantage is clearly that at times of high occupancy the system can be under great pressure when users download large files such as movies and music. We are currently seeking solutions to control and improve the situation and expect to have these in place very soon.

As part of our Planet 21 Accor Environmental Charter we constantly seek ways to reduce unnecessary waste. There is no doubt that in most hotels guests dispose of plastic wrapping for clean laundry immediately and it usually serves little other purpose than to pollute the environment, which is the reason why we recently decided to do away with it - even though we still provide it on request. With regard to the starching of your shirts, according to the laundry form you completed yourself, it seems that you did not choose the starch option. In such cases we only provide light starching of collars and cuffs. I am sorry if the available options on our laundry form were not entirely clear.

With regard to your comments concerning breakfast: we prefer not to supply manufactured yoghurts and instead offer freshly made, home-made yoghurts made from imported milk with a selection of daily changing, fresh, home-made fruit compotes, which enjoy great popularity with our clients.

I am not sure I fully understand your comment about our noodle dishes, but again, our standard is to change these dishes daily on a 7 day rotation to provide variety for our longer staying clients.

Thank you for having chosen to stay at Hotel de l’Opera and apologies once again for having failed to meet with your expectations.

Yours sincerely,

Bodo Klingenberg,

Reviewed 31 October 2013

From the moment we were picked up in the Mercedes car till we walked out the door we could be nothing but impressed by this lovely hotel. The rooms are unique, with great big beds, large bathrooms with all you could ask for. The central bar area was great for pre dinner drinks and the restaurant very good. Its close to the museum and opera house, 2 blocks from the lake, and a short walk to the old quarter. We certainly enjoyed our 4 nights here. Recomended.
Tip : Try the little Italian Restuarant across the road, lovely.

1  Thank Andrew M

Dear Andrew M,

Thank you for the great review, I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the hotel. We try at all times to create a feeling guests love and in your case our team have succeeded!

I will pass your comments to the team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

On arrival we were greeted by smiles from welcoming staff. Our room had two large single beds. (luckily we are not short, because you almost needed to have a running start to get on them). The room was clean and comfortable. The bathroom area was large. The shower was a walk in and was huge. Toilet was in the bathroom behind another door. Breakfast was delicious - and even the fussiest eater could find something to eat. You could either help yourself or pick an English style breakfast from the menu. The market and main shopping area was a leisurely stroll approximately 15 to 20 minutes away. The main restaurant area served western food as well. We ate there and it was delicious. Only minor complaint was that our room overlooked the main outdoor breakfast area and at around 5am it was a little noisy with staff setting up. Overall we were pleasantly surprised by the uniqueness of this hotel and the friendly environment.

Room Tip: Perhaps a room that is not overlooking the main outdoor breakfast area as it was a little noisy from...
1  Thank Lisa C

Dear Lisa C,

Thank you for the high praise, I'm delighted to see that you took time to write us a 5-star review which clearly shows that we had succeeded to create a memorable experience for you at Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi.

It will be wonderful to welcome you back to meet the team again at Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi and I'll make sure your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank mervyn_lim

Reviewed 24 October 2013

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed 23 October 2013

I went in Jan 2013 for a friend's wedding. I really enjoyed my stay there, the service was great!
I had problem with my hair dryer in one of the mornings, and I called the counter line for help. Within 10 - 15 mins, the staff arrived and helped me out.
When I was checking in, the staff also helped me to carry my luggage to room.
Excellent service!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Susan S

Dear Susan S,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.