“Pleasant stay, good location and good breakfast”

Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi - MGallery Collection
Ranked #78 of 586 Hotels in Hanoi
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Pleasant stay, good location and good breakfast”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We stayed 3 nights here and like the overall ambiance of this hotel. We didn't get the chance to have dinner in its restaurant, there were just so many options out there.

The good:
- Good location, walking distance to Hoam Kiem lake and the old quarter (not close by but still a nice walk, about 20-25 minutes).
- Friendly service
- Free, stable and decent speed wifi everywhere in the hotel
- Good selection of Asian and Western breakfast. You can order freshly cooked breakfast from the a la carte menu (included in the breakfast package). My wife enjoyed their different styles of noodle soup, I liked the eel congee.

Not so good:
- The bed arrangement is too high to my liking. It's really too high, The top of the mattress was about at my chest, I am only 170cm though.
- I exchanged some VND notes with the hotel. I didn't properly check all the notes and one of 500,000 VND notes I got was slightly torn at the edge. No restaurants wanted to accept that note. So I went back to the hotel requesting them to exchange that for me. The first question the staff asked was: "are you sure this is from us?" Well, of course I was sure, where as I would get the half million notes. They exchanged for me at the end and the manager said: "you should check all notes properly before you left". Well, that didn't help much but didn't matter as long as the note was exchanged.
- Every morning we were waken up by some sort of announcement from the street. Not so bad since we wanted to wake up early, something to keep in mind if you want to have a good sleep.

Overall, we did not enjoy Hanoi as much as the other parts of Vietnam but Hotel de l'Opera did make our stay there better. I recommend anyone this hotel as long as you do not mind the high bed.
The concierge was very helpful too, he recommended us to this beautiful restaurant named "
Quan An Ngon". We love the food and atmosphere there.
Definitely try egg coffee when you are at the old quarter, the Hanoi kid club can take you to a good one.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Hotel de lOpera H, General Manager at Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear Soodye,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. First, allow me to offer my sincerest of apologies for the negligence in service you experienced related to the currency notes you obtained initially from us. I shall personally bring this matter forward to the corresponding management team to addres as we do pride ourselves in providing all our guests exceptional service.

In regards to our beds, although they are generally recognized by many of our guests as one of our most sought after room features, it is understandable that, in terms of their height, they may not be suitable for everyone. Still, I do apologize if this in any way had an unfavourable effect pertaining to your overall comfort.

Lastly, I do want to thank you for your kind comments regarding our other services such as our breakfast buffet offering, as well as our concierge service. I shall most certainly inform our team members of these positive remarks.

On behalf of all of us at Hotel de l'Opera, we do thank you once again for choosing to stay with us and we hope to welcome you back in the future, should the opportunity present itself.

Bodo Klingenberg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

I am currently staying at this beautiful hotel. I was very pleasantly surprised with my room, it's even more beautiful than in the pictures. The bed is INCREDIBLE!!! The pillows are amazing! One of the best hotel beds I have ever slept in. The bathroom has colorful tiles lining the floor and a great shower. Roger Gallet soaps and creams. The room is very spacious!! It is facing inward so street noise has not been a problem for me. The breakfast buffet is AMAZING. Many options ranging from poached eggs, to fresh fruit, cereals, cheeses, breads and more. 5 minute walk to Hoan Kiem Lake. Definitely recommend this hotel, great value for your money.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Natalia A
Dear Natalia A,

Thank you so very much for your very kind comments. I am pleased to learn that you are enjoying your stay with us and do appreciate your very nice feedback. Indeed, our unique and comfortable beds are perhaps one of our most sought after features and I am glad to know that it is clearly adding to your overall comfort. I shall also share with our team your nice comments regarding our breakfast buffet offering.

Thank you so very much once again for sharing your thoughts with us and I do hope to welcome you back in the not so distant future.

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2014

When I first arrived, late in the evening and hot, tired and a little jet lagged, I worried that I was not going to enjoy this rather up market hotel. I sometimes find luxurious hotels unfriendly, rather anonymous and a bit alienating. The height of the bed and the rather inadequate bedside table - too low and not enough room to put much on it - didn't help my mood. However, I needn't have worried! I soon found this boutique hotel to be full of character, the staff very friendly and helpful and the amenities extensive and imaginatively and tastefully designed.
Breakfast in the extraordinary inner courtyard really is a unique experience, and the staff are attentive and always smiling, in a sincere way. The pool area is small, but extends out into the hotel balcony, and there are delicately designed loungers and chairs available on the balcony if you want to dry off in the sun. I was pleasantly surprised by freshly squeezed lemon drinks and skewers of fresh fruits which were offered to me unsolicited, and free.
I spent four very happy nights at the hotel, and found the staff very helpful when I needed something for work (directions and sorting out taxis) or wanted to buy tickets (for the Water puppets) or book a table (at the Ly Club), and didn't have time to attend to them myself. Nothing was too much trouble, and by the end of my stay I felt I knew many of the young staff to smile at and joke with.
The Hotel is also superbly located, right in the centre of Hanoi and a short walk from Hoan Kiem Lake. For such a hotel, the price isn't exorbitant by the standards of most country's capital city. So, if you can afford it, I would recommend staying at the Hotel de L'Opera without any reservation whatsoever.

Room Tip: Rooms that overlook the inner courtyard can be a little noisy, as voices and noises can reverberate...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Robin H,

Thank you so very much for your kind words. It was a real treat reading through your wonderful experiences with us in regards to both our facilities and level of services, whcih appears to have exceeded your expectations. Indeed, we do strive to ensure that our guest experience is both comfortable and unique, creating a memorable experience.

Once again, our sincerest of thanks for your positive feedback and I do look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel de l'Opera in the near future.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Modern rooms, ample breakfast, lovely service and nice drinks at the bar. All good after a hot day touring the city! We stayed for two nights in a room facing the side street on the 4th floor. It was a bit noisy but nothing that bothered us. I kind of liked the way I couldn't forget where I was and what was happening just outside. We stayed one more night before we traveled home and that time stayed in a room on the 5th floor facing the courtyard and did not like that as much. The room was generally the same but the echoes of the courtyard were annoying and not having a window to the outside wasn't great....however, this is obviously a personal preference. The wait staff at the restaurant were a little "in your face" but the rest of the staff were not. The hotel is a great find- nothing to complain about!

Room Tip: Read my review!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Beth B,

Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I was very pleased that, overall, your experiene was both positive and comfortable. However, I was saddened to learn about the poor level of service you experienced in our hotel's restaurant. My sincerest of apologies for this negligence in laps of service. I shall personally address this matter with our respective team members so as to continually strive to achieve the high level of service standards our guests have come to expect from us.

I do hope to welcome you back to Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi, should the opportunity in the future present itself.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We were there on a quick trip to view Hanoi (the old quarters) and Halong Bay and stayed at this charming boutique hotel just 15mins walk away from the Old Quarters and 3mins from the Opera House.

Location wise - it is considered fairly central, and a hop, skip and jump away from where you would want to visit / see in Hanoi. There are a few shops around the hotel, and a great Argentinian steakhouse just up the road. Also there are a few "cafes" nearby which serve great Vietnamese food.

We stayed in a deluxe room on the 6th floor - and when I saw there were earplugs as part of the amenity kit, I knew it could only mean one thing. Noise! Now this is no fault of the hotel, but for those light sleepers out there - just be aware that the "sound of music" from Vietnamese drivers don't peter out till well past 11pm.

The room was tastefully done up, with most of the modern trappings of 5* hotels, but the airconditioner was a disappointment (as with most AC in Hanoi). With temperatures approaching 35 on a daily basis and humidity hitting 100pc, the room failed to give welcome respite despite a couple of gentle prodding to the front desk to service the AC. In fact, the corridor leading up from the elevator to the room was a sauna.

The room is a tad small (but I'm not complaining too much) , but it fits a king size bed and an armchair and the usual wardrobe. If you're travelling with kids, good luck, its gonna be a tight fit.

The swimming pool on the 3rd floor is a sorry excuse for a pool....I'm sorry, but for a 4-5* hotel, its going to have to do better to make it more enticing. Wanted to go for a dip but upon seeing it, retreated back to the room.

Breakfast was great - with alacarte choices that encompass what most international travellers (both business / holiday makers) would want. From local fare to the generic Western breakfasts. The buffet had the usual toasts, pastries, noodles, salad, fruits, yoghurts etc. Service was great and attentive, and there was never a problem with seating in July. (Low season supposedly in Hanoi - probably due to the oppressive weather)

Tried to use the conceirge for help once - was looking for Made in Vietnam clothes, but the limited English he spoke meant that he couldn't really understand what we were looking for, and thus sent us on a wild goose chase. But that didn't take the gloss off our adventure as we eventually found what we wanted in the Old Quarters.

Check in and out was quick and painless. Probably in part because we had paid up prior to arrival.

WIFI was available - but a tad slow at peak hours. And almost non existent at the lobby.

Nevertheless, it was an acceptable stay but I'll probably choose another hotel if I were to visit Hanoi again to compare.

Room Tip: I suppose you would want to get a room facing AWAY from the main road to avoid the noise
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chua_HC
Dear Chua_HC,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I do regreat to learn that some of our facilities and services failed to meet your expectations. Please do accept my sincerest of apologies.

I shall be addressing your clearly stated points, particulary in regards to both our pool facitities and our team members' communication skill level, with our manangement team. Do know that our main focus is to ensure our guest experience is not only comfortable but also memorable. Thus, your feedback is essential, and we do appreciate it.

I was, however, pleased to learn that your overall stay with us was both pleasant and comfortable and do hope to welcome you back soon, should the opportunity present itself.

Bangkok
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Beautiful rooms in the perfect location. Nice room design and amenities, and top quality beds. Food outlets could be better, but there's a lot of choice in the area so no real issue. Would recommend this place.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Eric2BKK,

Thank you so very much for your kind words and positive comments regarding your recent stay with us!

I am happy to learn that you viewed your experience with us in such a fantastical way and do hope to have the privilate in welcoming you back soon, should the opportunity present itself.

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 12 July 2014

2 minute walk to the lake, a great place to start a Vietnamese holiday. 12 of us stayed here and would not hesitate to come again. Friendly, helpful staff, comfortable (very high!) beds, great breakfast in the central atrium and good pool and gym. I would try to get an inward facing room, you miss out on a street view, but much quieter and less likely to be woken ( as our kids were) by stuff happening on the very busy street outside. I will try and post photos of the room. I think this is the only hotel i have stayed in that has mirrors on the ceiling ( hence the Eagles ref) in the corridors

Room Tip: Atrium facing room - as above
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear dkreview,

Thank you so much for your positive feedback regarding your recent stay with us. It is indeed a great pleasure to know that your stay was both comfortable and enjoyable.

I do hope to welcome you back to Hotel de l'Opera in the future, should the opportunity present itself.