“Helpful staff but rooms are run down & noisy”

Hanoi Century Hotel
Ranked #401 of 580 Hotels in Hanoi
Petaling Jaya
“Helpful staff but rooms are run down & noisy”
Reviewed 11 June 2012

Despite our early check-in time, the staff were very accommodating and helpful. This continued throughout our stay - the staff were always smiling. There was free internet on 2 desktops at the reception area, great for catching up on emails. Breakfast wasn't too bad for the price of the room we were paying, which included breakfast. We took the family room which was huge and consisted of 3 single beds. The problem was it was on the 2nd floor and faced the front of the hotel, which was a busy street. We could hear honking for most parts of the early morning and night; closing the louvered windows did not help block out the noise. The room itself was ok, albeit a little dusty but the bathroom was run down - small leak in the ceiling and the bathtub leaks whenever you shower, which then made the entire bathroom dirty and wet; not pleasant! The hotel can do with some renovation as it looks run-down in some parts. Room rates are reasonable so I guess you can't expect too much - the friendly staff made up for it :). The hotel is in a great location - everything was within walking distance (restaurants, cathedral, lake, market, souvenirs and other shops). You also get the "local" scene of street vendors selling pho, fruits, vegetables, meat, bbq cuttelfish, etc!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing the front of the hotel, even up till the 5th floor, we could still hear the din b...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 2 May 2012

I knew 2 Australians who were staying at this hotel, so the hotel gave me a discounted price of USD20 per night, for staying 2 nights. Normally it would be USD25.
Comfortable room, no smell, but foam mattress on bed. Managed to sleep but would prefer spring mattress.
A decent place to stay if you are on a budget above 'backpacker'. If you can afford it, stay at a better place & pay at least USD30.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 29 March 2012

This hotel had nice clean rooms and very helpful staff who let us use a spare room after we checked out for free when waiting for the night train. Its also very central making exploring the old quarter by foot very easy.

Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Rated 2 1/2* this hotel is good value for money. staff most helpful and obliging..My first time in Hanoi and booked initially for a coupla days and after a trip to H. Bay (which they organised for a good price at late notice and looked after my bags) I decided to return after having checked out some others. Could`nt get the same balcony room but had a quieter and cheaper one without a window for less. Bkfst included is ok for the price. Staff organised my next hotel in Hue which was nearly as good for the same price and the o`nite train for me.. Cant complain here!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank carey f
Chisinau, Moldova
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Stayed 2 nights at this hotel. There were 2 different rooms: one basic and one deluxe. Both rooms had an unpleasant smell from bathroom, and the cleanliness was average.

I suggest you to search for another hotel in Hanoi, as there are many hotels with the same price and better rooms.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lempert
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Very friendly and helpful staff. Rooms were clean and basic. We were in room 501, great views of old town and close to everything. Upgraded for free and staff have very good English. Very helpful. Room has clean sheets and computer and fridge. Free wifi. Has a bath and hot water. Very cheap at $23 a night. Little noisy at the front rooms due to horny traffic but this is everywhere in Hanoi. Back rooms would be much quieter but we were happy with the upgrade and balcony, and nothing a set of earplugs didn't fix. Overall, would highly rate our stay here.

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank Andyjen11
Taiwan
Reviewed 5 February 2012

I booked the hotel for five nights, but actually stayed four nights. The room they provide me was spacious, comfy, clean and quiet. The hotel is within the old town in Hanoi, you can eaily explore many scenes by walking distance. Breakfast is basic, various fruits to choose from, I love it. On the last day of my stay, the staff told me a group of British travellers wanted to stay together, but the hotel didnt't have enough room for them, so the staff asked me if I could change hotel with "THE SAME STANDARD and THE SAME QUALITY." It doesn't matter to me so I agreed with his offer. However, it was the beginning of my nightmare. The room that I changed to was "LOUD, and DIRTY;" you can even heard karaoke on the street at 10 p.m. The facilities in the room were far "LESS" than the original one. What annoyed me most was that "NO ELEVATOR" in the hotel, which means I have to climb five floor to get to my room. Located in the dark valley, I was also worried about my safety. To be honest, I felt regreful to change hotels. I was completely cheated by the staff-- "the same quaity and the same standard??" I doubt it!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank ShiangruHwang

Travellers are raving about these Hanoi hotels