“Amazing staff.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #414 of 578 Hotels in Hanoi
Melbourne, Australia
“Amazing staff.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014 via mobile

We arrived in Hanoi with not much idea what to do or expect, and the staff could not have been more informative, friendly, generous and helpful. They gave us a free upgrade (thanks Joe!) and were very accomodating when we needed to stay on unexpectedly due to getting sick. The local restaurants and shops that were recommended by Joe (concierge) were genuinely interesting and cheap. We will stay again if we travel back to Vietnam. :)

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Dave L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Korean first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

This hotel was a bit let down by housekeeping & need for maintenance- broken shower hose, lights, phone needing repair, bathroom quite mouldy. 2nd floor is very noisy from the lobby- ask to move to a higher floor. Staff very committed to try to sell tour packages, but would recommend to check other places as well to be sure you are getting the value for money before booking.
No complimentary water- have to pay.
It wasn't bad, but only average, & we would try a different hotel next time.

Room Tip: 2nd floor noisy
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

This is a solid value choice to stay in the Old Quarter in Hanoi. It is very close to restaurants, sites and shopping. The hotel itself isn't bad, but not great. The first night we were located on the second floor at the top of the staircase. This was very noisy and we didn't sleep well. Our plumbing was not working well either, as the drains were all very slow. After an overnight boat cruise at Halong Bay we came back. They had moved us up to the 5th floor. This room was much nicer and far more quiet. Everything worked properly and we were very pleased.

The hotel includes breakfast, which is nice. It isn't a huge selection but we never had trouble finding dishes (my wife is vegetarian) to get our day started.

We were both very pleased with their staff. It was very clear that they would do anything possible to improve your stay. They provided many recommendations for food to try, sites to see and directions. They were the highlight for me.

This place is not fancy but again, offers great value. I would stay there again if returning to Hanoi.

Room Tip: Don't take a room on the second floor. They can be very noisy since the lobby is directly below...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Colombo, Sri Lanka
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

I spent eleven days in Thaison Grand Hotel for the third year in January 2014. My stay there was nothing but pleasant. They obliged me with the room of my choice. I stayed in the same beautiful room, with windows overlooking the street below, in which I spent ten days in January 2013. The staffs are pleasant and obliging. All my one day trips were organised by their manager Ms.Lisa and the tours were great. The other two gentlemen working in the hotel were also very helpful and kind. There is nothing bad to say about this hotel. That is the reason I decided to stay in this hotel for the third time. The food in the morning was reasonably good and the guests could order some items not on the table. In my opinion this hotel is good value for the price we pay for the room because the location is good and the rooms are clean.tidy and airy. The rooms with windows are better.

Room Tip: Rooms on the road side with windows are better even if they are bit noisy.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank sanmugasundaran s
United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights just after New Year, its in an excellent location and an ideal base to see all of what Hanoi has to offer. The breakfast was amazing, the rooms were immaculate, and the staff couldnt do enough for us. They booked excursions & offered to book onwards travel for us (even though wed already done this) but again they went over & above what we expected, loaning us a travel adaptor, and even going to a chemist to fetch me medication when I felt poorly. I would most definetly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014

My first time in Vietnam and this hotel basically ruined my whole trip and gave me the worst impression about this country. This hotel basically tried whatever way to get our money and they were lying all the time.

We made the reservation for two nights. My mom and I arrived late the first night to the hotel, and they didn't keep the room for us. They told us since the kid got sick so no room for us (wait, any relationship between these two?). They tried to put us to the terrible hotel next to them which doesn't even have elevator and they wanted us to walk all the way to sixth floor. My mom can't walk so I asked them to provide us the better solution. They sent us to another hotel. In the morning of the second day, they forced us to check out from another hotel and tried to move back and check in in their hotel. We basically lost the whole morning by dealing with this. I told them that I don't want to stay in their hotel the second day and they promise that they would give the money back to me. Until now, two weeks later, they never picked up my phone and I still didn't get my money back......

I was complaining about the first night experience to the staff. The hotel manager Tom told me that he wanted to do some favor to me. He told me that he can plan our trip for us and gave us like 50% off. Wow he is such a scammer...He sent us to very poor hotel and took very poor train (that he promised it will be 5 stars and VIP room) to Sapa . I asked for personal Chinese tour guide and she didn't even show up the first day and she told me that they didn’t even ask her to come….When he planned the trip, I told him my mom can’t walk for long, they still forced us to join all the tours involved several hours hike. Eventually my mom and I didn’t do some of the tours bc they planned it wrong.

For halong bay tour, it is even worse. They sent us to another cheaper cruise but not the one which we booked. I asked them and they said the fancy cruise’s engine is broken….but we all saw that cruise which we originally booked passed by us. For the price of this tour, he told me that he gave me 50% off for this tour but I found out we paid more than most of the passengers on our cruise. I called the manager Tom’s phone number and also the hotel for over ten times, they never picked up my phone number.

I was so sad to share this experience. We lost the money but it is fine…I will let everyone know what our experiences with them so other travelers will be more careful with them in the future.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank qqkristy
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014

First of all it must be said that this hotel was really nice for the money we paid. The rooms were quiet enough, the bed was comfortable, it was in a central location and the staff were super friendly and helpful. The breakfast (which was included) was quite good as well. However the bathrooms are a bit moldy / damp (which also means a funny smell in the room at times) and the rooms in reality don't look as good as they do in the photo's.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends