“Amazing!”

May De Ville Backpackers Hostel
Ranked #51 of 453 Speciality Lodging in Hanoi
Reviewed 17 August 2011

I had previously stayed at a hotel in Hanoi, when a friend wanted me to book a night at May De Ville Backpackers Hostel after we arrived from Sapa.

I was really amazed what I saw the interior. It's clean, it has a great movie room. There's free wifi. The breakfast buffé was better than at any hotel that I visited in Vietnam.

I would have thought that I had stepped into a 5 star hotel, except that you sleep in doorms. The beds in the doorms are however very comfortable.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 16 August 2011

I stayed in the shared dorm room in August 2011 and it was a great experience. The place is clean, there's housekeeping daily, you get fresh towels - all in a dorm room.

It is also right smack in the center of Old Quarters and you can get local coffee, snacks, beer - all with the locals in the nearby shops. You can also just go down and start shopping.

But the highlight must be the staff. ALL of them were so friendly... One (sorry forget her name but I think it's Thuy?) even accompanied me to around Old Quarters (before she started work) because I wanted to go shopping but didn't know where the street was... I will definitely go back again!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 August 2011

Although slightly hidden away the hotel itself is in a great location, slap bang in the middle of Old Quarter, Hanoi. Anything worth seeing is in walking distance - very useful - there are markes, shops and of course the legendary Beer Corner!!! After a hard day on the streets of Hanoi we found this hotel to be our own little oasis, especially when we could take a shower, whack on the air-con and head back out for more fun!
Lovely bedrooms, clean showers and freindly staff made this one of our most enjoyable stays in this country.

Hugo Darley, London

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 August 2011

I stayed at the May De Ville with my husband after we were given a voucher at the airport. Being a discounted place I wasn’t expecting much, but we were very pleasantly surprised. The room was top-notch, with lovely furnishings and a big comfy bed! The staff were friendly and helpful and waited on us hand and foot. Even the free breakfast buffet was good. I will definitely stay here again if I'm ever in Hanoi.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 August 2011

My fiance and I arrived in Hanoi from a Vientiane in Laos. We were approached by a man at Vientiane airport who told us about this new backpackers hostel/hotel. Understandably we were cautious as this seems to be the prelude to many a scam in SE Asia. Anyway, this was NO scam. The staff at the May De Ville were warm, friendly and they bent over backwards to help us with organising trips and finding places to eat. We stayed in a private room for $25.00. This included breakfast, en-suite bathroom free internet access and a lap top in the room. The rooms are more like a 4 star hotel instead of a hostel. They also have some very well kitted out dorms too which sleep 6 in comfort. A special mention must go to Dao who works at the hostel who is always happy to see you, he is incredibly enthusiastic and intelligent. He's a real asset to the May De Ville. If we were to return to Hanoi, we would not consider staying anywhere else. There is a winning formula to running all businesses and it is simply to understand your client and to hire the right people. The May De Ville have certainly got this formula right.
A brief note about the Halong Bay boat trips. There are a number of scams and reports of appalling service on some of the boats. We spoke to one guy who thought he got a good deal from a local agent. He regretted it and told us to book through the May De Ville. Ok you might pay $10 to $20 more but at least you'll get a good trip. We spent 2 days and one night on the Cristina (booked through the May De Ville) and it was really chilled out. We had a great guide and delicious food. This is something else that the May De Ville seem to do - they personally check out the trips they offer and if you don't get what you pay for they will make sure you get a refund. I can't say anymore really, the May De Ville are simply fantastic.

Room Tip: On site IT support is availabe so tell them if you have problems with lap top.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 August 2011

Elegance and luxury- not something you usually encounter when backpacking. This place has it!- a light, bright marble reception with wonderfully friendly staff to greet you: and equally beautiful rooms- all with sony plasma tv, free use of laptop with internet acess, all the bath goodies you would expect to find in an upmarket hotel, mini bar, soft white towles...... etc
They also have free wifi throughout the building, a games room with pool table, darts board, and a cinema with a huge sony tv and 1000's of dvd's to rifle through.

On top of all this breakfast is included in the room rates which range from $6 for a dorm- BARGAIN!

The staff were also v friendly when it came to booking tours and onward travel- i cannot praise this hostel enough- if only all budget accommodation was this good!!

Room Tip: All rooms are beautifully presented
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 August 2011

Make sure to stay here! This claims to be a hostel, but is clearly a hotel. It would compete with hotels in any major westernized city in terms of accomodations, service, and free breakfast! The rooms are georgous, including a laptop to use while you stay there. The rec room is fantastic. The staff go above and beyond what they should be doing to make sure you have a great stay. The price is very affordable ($15 a night/person for a private room and $6 for a dorm). Take one look around this hotel and you will not go elsewhere!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends