“Large hostel, GREAT location, elevators”

Ranked #50 of 450 Speciality Lodging in Hanoi
Reviewed 29 May 2014

This hostel is in such a great location, within the Hanoi Old Quarter. It's a great spot for backpackers, as it's very close to the nightlife. It's on a small side street, just off a main corner in the Old Quarter, but it's well marked with signs. The check-in process was fine, but we were a little annoyed that we had to leave our passports there for 30 minutes, while we went up to our rooms. Luckily, there is an elevator, so we didn't have to climb any stairs after our long day of traveling.

The rooms were fine, although a little dark, and the beds were nice. The bathrooms are all updated.

There is a restaurant on the top floor for breakfast, and we thought the buffet was a little tired. By the time I got up there, around 9:30 AM, most things were picked over. They came out about 15 minutes later with fresh eggs and fruit, but I had already eaten.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Duong Manh T, Manager at May De Ville Backpackers Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear our value guest,
What a wonderful experience you had at May De Ville Backpackers Hostel! Thank you for sharing this on TripAdvisor.
It is a great to read how much you have enjoyed your stay in our hotel. Your compliment is considered as the effort for us to strive our best day by day to keep up the service. We promise to keep the service up to deserve your trust.
I hope to have the pleasure to welcoming you back soon.
Your sincerely,

Reviewed 29 May 2014

stayed here 2 times in their dorm rooms. A hostel that looks like a hotel. The room is clean and their entertainment room is cool, free pool and big screen for movie except that the breakfast menu is the same everyday!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear our guest.
I hope to have the pleasure to welcoming you back soon.
Your sincerely,

Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

Great hostel!! Staff was wonderful, extremely helpful I showing us around town and booking tours. Location was perfect, right near the center of Old Town, 25 cent beers were right across the road. The lake is only 10 min walk away! Rooms were nice and clean, very comfy beds! Breakfast every morning was good. Would definitely recommend!!

Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I ww looking for a chilled-out hostel and intending to do my partying elsewhere, and that's what I got. The lounge area is great for chilling in and staff are helpful with booking onward travel. The place is quiet when you want to sleep. Beds are flimsy though, so a restless bunkmate means little sleep...

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Duong Manh T, Manager at May De Ville Backpackers Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Dear Kristin
We would like to say thank you very much for your lovely review. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel.

We really appreciate you taking your time to write a review for us. We would be very happy to see you again on a future trip to Hanoi.

All the best

Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

This is fantastic value if your staying in a dorm but not as much if your in a private room. The location is great, right in the centre, and there is a movie room and games room which is great! The room was ok, ac, tv, big bed etc. But we requested a room with a window as we saw one without and it smelt of damp. Unfortunately the breakfast was the worst we had had in Vietnam, extremely limited, you have to be there early or theres nothing left, que to use the toaster, ordered eggs, but didnt even get them. The bread and croissants though just didn't taste nice. Good stay for backpackers in a dorm but you can get a better private room in a hotel for the same price elsewhere.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank rosier_91
Duong Manh T, Manager at May De Ville Backpackers Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Dear Rosier
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel. It is regrettable that your stay did not meet the expectation that we think it was partly because of the insufficient communication between us.

Again, our apology for not having entirely met your expectation. Rest assured that we always keep improving our service to help make your trip to Vietnam a pleasant one.

We thank you for your kind understanding and do hope to have another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed 28 March 2014

I stayed at the Superior Room in May De Ville for three nights while in Hanoi. Booking a room at the hotel was extremely simple and fast, the staff were answered questions very promptly via email though there was a slight misunderstanding about the cost of Airport Transfers (I *felt* that paid twice for it as upon arrival, they said their quoted price didn't include the transfer back to the airport...on hindsight, I should have clarified that via email before payment).

I wasn't expecting too much when I booked the rooms, but I was pleasantly surprised when I reached the hotel. The front desk staff were very helpful and courteous. There are a number of desktops at the lobby for you to use. They also assisted with getting a SIM Card for me from a nearby shop and even helping me set it up (it's all in Vietnamese and there's virtually no English instructions!). Drinks and fruits were provided as we waited for the room to be ready. They also made great recommendations on places to visit, as well as the tour packages they offered.

The hostel is well located in the Old Quarters and there's quite a lot of hustle and bustle outside, but the good thing is that you can't hear a single thing when you're in the rooms. There are plenty of beer stands, bars as well as food when you step out of the place.

The superior room is decently sized and is kept very clean and comfortable. WiFi was provided, though it is quite choppy (there's no signal). I ended up mostly tethering from the 3G Network provided by my Vietnamese SIM Card. There's even a laptop provided for you to use in the room.

Breakfast is at the restaurant on the top floor. The meal was simple and not too fancy, just enough to fill your stomach.

Two other things that made my stay pleasant was that they kept my luggage for me in their storage room when I left for the Halong Bay tour for a night so I didn't have to drag it along with me and they prepared takeaways for breakfast as I had to leave very early in the morning for my flight back home.

In short , pleasant stay and fantastic staff. This place is called a "Backpackers Hostel", but it definitely felt like a Hotel. I definitely got more than what I expected. You can't go wrong for the price.

Room Tip: Breakfast is at the tenth (top) floor, accessible only via stairs.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Duong Manh T, Manager at May De Ville Backpackers Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Dear Yun Heng.
Greeting from May De Ville Backpackers Hostel, Hanoi.

Your great feedback on TripAdvisor website is much appreciated. We are so glad to know that you satisfied with our room, location and service and we are especially grateful to hear that you enjoyed our present - from May De Ville Backpackers Hostel We believe that your review would definitely be useful for the fellow travelers who planning to visit Hanoi and looking for somewhere simply nice to stay.

We look forward to have a chance of welcoming you back to our residence soon!

Warm regards,

Reviewed 27 March 2014

My vietnamese friend recommended this hostel to us and we ended up staying here 1 week before heading to the south. The hostel has a great location in old quarter but at the same time it's very quiet at the night time. Also simple breakfast is included. The staff is very friendly and always ready to help you. They recommended nice restaurants to us and gave other good ideas what to do in Hanoi.

We were staying in a private room which was clean and comfortable. They cleaned up the room every day and always left clean towels to us. Internet was also good and working in the room. Only bad word is about the power outlets in the room because some of them didn't work. Despite that we had a really pleasant stay.

We will definately stay here again if we come back to Hanoi. :) Thank you for taking care of us!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear NiinaFinland
Greeting from May De Ville Backpackers Hostel, Hanoi.

Thank you for the wonderful feedback! It’s a pleasure to know that you enjoyed your recent stay, We are delighted that our breakfast and Vietnamese Coffee daily would make your stay was memorable experiences.

We certainly look forward to welcoming the both of you back again soon!

Warm regards,