“Old Quarter Convenience”

Ranked #444 of 580 Hotels in Hanoi
Fall River, Wisconsin
“Old Quarter Convenience”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

My mom and I stayed here for two nights. It's no luxury but it's conveniently located in the intimate streets of Hanoi's Old Quarter. We didn't need to venture far to explore this quaint part of the city with a plethora of traditional Hanoi cuisine and gifts shops to peruse. The room we stayed in was on the 3rd floor. I'm a little skittish in elevators so I tend to use the stairs. I'm not sure if I'm just clumsy or what but I kept tripping on the first step into the hotel as well as on the first step of the first flight of stairs to the first floor! The balcony in our room was pleasant however, once we opened it, we couldn't lock it back up. Also, our safe and telephone were not working. The bathroom was not what we expected. It did not have a overhead shower head so we had to use a removable one that only reaches so far. Your stuck sitting in the bathtub to bathe or bending over the tub to wash your hair. The room also had a musty odor of wet wood. Some of the pluses was the continental breakfast and wi-fi. I believe Awesome travel took care of everything else.

Room Tip: Not sure about the other rooms, but the third floor room with balcony made it very loud and boistero...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed 10 May 2013

We stayed here for two nights and we could check in early, at 10:00. That was really convenient after a horrible night bus trip.
Room 604 was style full a bit old fashioned. We arrived just in time before a heavy shower and thunders started outside. Lying on bed skyping i felt water on my leg, omg, the roof was leaking. They immediately moved us to another room, 602.
Staff at reception is very kind and always in for a cozy chat. There were two things that shocked us. There were mice on the 6th floor, and we witnessed a huge and loud fight between laundry girls early in the morning. The fact we were looking at them was apparently no reason for them to stop!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 7 May 2013

My friend and I stayed at the Hanoi Style hotel in late-March 2013. We have a less-than-desirable review for this interesting establishment.

The first red flag was trying to set up a transfer service to give us a ride to the airport the next morning. We had a phone number and a company in mind and asked reception to help us call them. They flatly refused. They turned the phone to us and told us to dial ourselves. We ended up standing there punching numbers into the phone for about 10 minutes (because we didn't exactly know dialing protocol in Vietnam) while the reception guy just stood there and watched. Thanks for your help, buddy?

We were shown to our room on one of the upper floors. We were pleased with the large room and balcony. However, a pervasive, rancid, mouldy smell was impossible to ignore. We went into the bathroom and discovered a thick, green/brown liquid sprayed all over the sink, bathtub, toilet, and floor. We determined that this was "stale urine", potentially from an animal or a drunk hotel guest that somehow broke into the room.

We went downstairs to reception and asked very very nicely and politely (we are Canadian, after all) that they clean up the room and get rid of the smell. We are busy, budget travellers, so we really don't care to be aggressive and rude. Reception seemed to understand our complaint. We left to sightsee for about 4 hours. Upon returning to our room, we see that nothing has been cleaned. The same thick green/brown liquid everywhere; the same disgusting smell.

We go back downstairs to complain and the staff behind the desk look at each other and nod knowingly -- a look and nod that said "Yeah... I guess we'll actually have to do something now. Sigh." Thankfully, they switched us to another room which was perfectly fine.

When we went downstairs to check out the next morning, our transfer service had already arrived and the lady behind the desk rushed us unnecessarily through check out and told us we "had to" leave because the transfer service was waiting for us. She then proceeded to accuse us of taking 2 beers from the mini-fridge and would not let us leave until we paid for it. Our friendly Canadian demeanour disappeared at this point.

We had to tell her fairly forcefully over the next 10 minutes that we did NOT take anything from the room and giving us 2 free beers is the LEAST they could have done. You're going to give us a disgusting, urine-soaked room, NOT clean it, NOT help us with making a simple phone call, rush us out of your hotel, and then on top of that, you're going to accuse of taking alcohol from you? Give me a break.

This place is a joke.

AVOID.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank derek890
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Reviewed 1 May 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at the Hanoi Style Hotel recently. It doesn't look like much from the street but don't let that put you off. I found the receptionist to be one of the most helpful people I've ever encountered. She had a bright cheery manner and exceptional English skills. She ensured we got our room with a minimum of fuss and made certain that we knew where we would be picked up for a tour of Halong Bay the next day.

The rooms were lovely. For the star rating of the hotel they were much bigger than I had expected. They were also lovely and clean with a nice balcony to stand out on and watch the chaos of the Hanoi street below. The PC's in the room with Internet were a nice touch and the Wi-Fi worked perfectly for my laptop.

Breakfast was much better than I'd anticipated too. Plenty of choice from fresh fruit, to a fry up to a continental breakfast and Vietnamese food as well. French sticks full of bacon are a great way to start any day (for an Englishman at least).

We had our laundry done in the hotel and it was good value with a faster than 24 hour turnaround (which beats most of the world - in the UK I used to have to wait 48 hours or pay an additional fee...)

Great job by Hanoi Style Hotel and I was really pleased to have stayed there. Hanoi's a hectic city and it's nice to find a peaceful oasis to base yourself out of. I have no hesitation in recommending this place to anyone.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 18 April 2013

I have to say that there are few places where I found locals speak English in Vietnam with such fluency. This hotel was definitely one of them. They also had great service lined up, and the friendliness of the hotel also impressed me a lot. The rooms were spacious, and the staff were very helpful. I requested them for a cab for a destination which is usually not frequented, and they got me the cab for my trip.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade and you might get it
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
gympie
Reviewed 6 April 2013

This was my last day/night in Vietnam and it was a shame I hadn't found this hotel earlier, everything was great. The room was large with a huge spa bath in the bathroom, and this was the 'standard room.' Though the best of all was the service. I had arrived back from Sa Pa, which had been booked by this hotel 3 days earlier, and the train arrived at 5.00am. I knocked on the door and staff were at the door within a few seconds, and had no problems in allowing me to book in at 5.00am and move into the room straight away, with no extra charge. They even allowed a late check out the following morning and organised a car to the airport, for the same price as a taxi. Great service.

Room Tip: All room are great. Sorry No swimming pool.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 2 April 2013

The Hanoi Style Hotel should be your choice for staying in Hanoi Vietnam. The hotel was nice, rooms were clean, air conditioning was good, and full breakfasts. However, this couple with very reasonable prices is not the deciding factor.
The staff are amazing! They spoke perfect English, were always willing to jump to help, and they were very accommodating rather than pushy.
I even forgot somewhere there and when I called, they had their staff find it, put it aside for me, and even shipped it to my next hotel.
The best service I have received in all my travels through Asia!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends