“Off the road hotel in busy old quarter runs with clockwork efficiency”

Hanoi Holiday Diamond Hotel
Ranked #52 of 586 Hotels in Hanoi
Singapore, Singapore
“Off the road hotel in busy old quarter runs with clockwork efficiency”
Reviewed 21 December 2012

We had a family room at room 401 ( facing the street ) for the greater part of the stay.

The hotel is located at the edge of the old quarter and the walk to the Hoan Kiem lake took 15 minutes. What I liked about the hotel is the welcome drink, a nice touch after a tiring journey. The family room is adequate although something for putting the luggage would be welcome. Windows are doube glazed so no street noise disturbed our rest.Toilet is spacious with general amenities. They can do better to increase the brightness in the toilet though.

The hotel entrance can be easily missed, nestled between a food place and another shop along Nguyen Sieu Rd. Hotel service is efficient, from airport transfers, same day laundry service ( at $2/kg) and breakfast counter starts on time. Clear paper work and billing made checkin and checkout a non event. In fact, they were our time keeper ( for airport shuttle ) on the last day.

The hotel has no dine in restaurant other than for breakfast so we visit the restaurant,Com Pho Co, situated diagonally opposite for once of the cheapest beer and Nem in town , not forgetting the cheerful service. There are 2 pharmacies ( 8am till late 9 pm ) just steps off the hotel for non emergencies.

Wifi is consistently available everywhere in the hotel.

Take up the hotel's offer of airport shuttle ( $18 ) - it'w worth it. The metered fare costs around $21.

If there is one grouse, it would be that staff leaves the window along the corridor open ( probably for ventilation ) but that meant fending off mosquitoes while waiting for the lift.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank wonder-luster

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Changchun, China
Reviewed 20 December 2012

As soon as we step out of the taxi, the staff greeted us warmly. They gave us a nice drink and asked us how our trip to them has been. They showed and carried our bags to our room and let us settle in. Every time we passed staff in the lobby they would have a great conversation always asking where and what we were doing. They gave us a map of the city and really went out of their way to help us in any way they could. They're English is also amazing which helped a lot. They called other hotels for us when we were planning on staying in Da nang for three days, arrange taxis, made sure we'd get to the train station on time and called our tour for ha long bay to make sure all the tickets got to us. They are truly an amazing hotel. The breakfast was absolutely delicious. They give you great western choices. We had only originally booked for one day but we liked it so much we ended up staying with them every night we were in Ha noi. The location is great, they have many little shops to buy snack, and a great restaurant across the street to have dinner ( delicious spring rolls! ) The room we stayed in was very clean and got cleaned everyday. The beds we're very comfortable compared to other Asian hotels. Bathroom was very clean. It had a nice shower in one room and the other room even had a bath tub! All in all I will definitely be going back to Holiday diamond hotel if ever I got back to Ha noi. And if you are on a budget, like I was, this hotel goes beyond your expectations.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Alexandra C
nuernberg
Reviewed 19 December 2012

this hotel was like a second home far away from germany!! really lovely and helpfull service, nice and clean rooms and the best breakfast ever. we stayed there several times during our indochine roundtrip and it was always perfect. they even stored our luggage for over one month :)
Staying at holiday diamnond is worth every penny.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sabi309
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 17 December 2012

I love this hotel!! It has the best service ever! We stayed here for 3 nights, and there was free pick-up service from the airport. When we arrived at the hotel and proceeded to get out of the car, we saw the hotel staff running out to the car just to say hello! Pleasantly shocked we were.

That pretty much sums of the level of friendliness and hospitality we had throughout our stay here. They know you by name, are very interested in where you want to go or what you want to do, and always ready to give you suggestions and help you with any tours you may be interested in going.

We stayed in 2 rooms in the hotel because our cruise was in the middle of our trip. We opted to go for the Executive Room ($35/night), which comes with a window, versus the Superior Room ($30/night) which I was told has none. There wasn’t much view with both rooms, but I was still glad I chose it as I can get a bit claustrophobic. The rooms are very simply decorated, clean and the beds were comfortable. The pictures you see on the hotel website are what you can expect from the rooms. If I were to be picky, I felt the bathroom was a bit dated in the first room we stayed in (room 505), but the second room it was definitely brighter and newer (room 405).

Breakfast here was amazing! It is inclusive in the room rate and came with many choices, western (eggs, bacon, ham, toast, croissants etc) and Vietnamese (viet yoghurt, noodle soup). Everything we tried was good. They even provide you with daily supply of fruits in your room with we appreciated.

The location of this hotel is perfect! It is very close to the Hoan Kiem lake, water puppet show, the shopping streets like Hang Gai, and you definitely feel immersed into the Vietnamese life once you walk out of the hotel.

A big hand to the hotel staff for making it a wonderful experience for us!

Room Tip: We asked for a room away from the noise and it was very silent. Make sure to request for one if you...
2 Thank Lis T
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 16 December 2012

Perhaps you thought I am exaggerating here by giving a rating of 10 Star for the hospitality, but I assure you that I am not at all.

The Hanoi Holiday Diamond Hotel is part of the group which has the highly rated Hanoi Charming 2 Hotel. At first I was going to book at Charming 2 Hotel. However, when I saw Holiday Diamond on their WEB, I opted for it. In fact the reservation was made by Kate of Charming 2 Hotel by e-mail. Kate was very professional and promptly responded to my inquiries. I paid by Pay Pal the charges for the first night in US dollars so there was no transaction fee involved.They will also arrange for tours and Halong Bay Cruises for you.

I booked an airport transfer also which was $18(one way) in line with the taxi fare. My reservation was for October 31st and I made it during the 1st week of August about three months in advance.

My flight to Hanoi from Luang Prabang was late. Instead of arriving at 6:15PM, it arrived at 8:00 PM. Well, to be honest, I was afraid that no one will be there to pick me up. But when I exited the customs, I was greeted by their agent and taken to a nice late model SUV.

When we arrived at the hotel, Henry from the reception came to the car and greeted me. And the bell boys attended to my luggage. They were just waiting for me. While Ha (Miss) attended to my check-in, I was treated with a cool fresh mango juice. Since it was late and I wanted to have dinner, I requested Ha to find a good restaurant nearby which offered vegetarian food. Henry took me to my room and showed me how everything worked including the Safe. The bell boys brought my luggage.

Without delay, I went down stairs, and Ha was waiting with the map and showed me where the Restaurant Tamarind was. Less than five minutes of walk. The restaurant turned out to be very good also.

The hotel is located in the Old Town (Hoan Kiem area) where the action is. You can walk to the restaurants and sites in the Old Town. The taxi to the Museum was about 50,000 VND. My room was on the sixth floor and I did not hear any street noise.

The room was bit small but it was modern and fully equipped. There were two night tables next to the double bed. One night table had two bottles of water, Coffee and Tea making equipment and a fresh fruit plate wrapped in the plastic foil. All complimentary. They replenished the fruit plate every day. There was a cupboard/closet with hangers and shelves and an electronic Safe. A desk with a flat screen monitor connected to a PC was available at no cost. Wi-Fi was also available at no cost if needed. A good size flat screen TV was on the wall with good selection of international channels. A small refrigerator with mini bar was located under the desk.

The linens and pillows were excellent. In fact I liked the duvet/comforter so much that I was tempted to purchase it from them. The bath room was clean and had all the toiletries
and towels. Everything was clean and well kept. The house keeping/maid service was excellent.

The breakfast was beyond my expectation. There was no buffet but they had an extensive menu for “cooked to order” breakfast. The menu had Western as well as Asian items. You can order anything and everything. No restrictions, no limits! Two young ladies welcome you warmly with smiles and serve you with their full attention to your request. The service was prompt and the food was excellent.

After breakfast I met with Nancy at the reception and she helped me with my intended site seeing agenda while Ha telephoned for a taxi which came to the hotel in no time.

I checked out and paid my bill in US Dollars as quoted which I think was good. They kept my luggage while I went to a ‘two days/one night’ Halong Bay trip. When I returned the next day, in the afternoon, they offered me a room to take bath and clean up.

Again, my transfer back to the airport arranged by them in a late model Toyota SUV was very pleasant and comfortable. And my eyes were teary when the entire staff came to the door and waved me goodbye.

While I remember Nancy, Ha and Henry by their names, the entire staff including the bell boys was so nice. Generally speaking the hotel staff is trained to be nice to their guests, but here I felt that they welcome you, serve you, help you and treat you with genuine hospitality from the bottom of their hearts.

Room Tip: Upper floor in the back. They offer free airport pick up if you book at least three nights directly...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Midcap
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 16 December 2012

Amazing hotel. We had great communication with Jenny and Cherry setting up our stay, including train tickets and the like. I was confident that on our arrival everything would be in order because they can communicate in a professional and timely manner. Even when I hadn't organised a visa in time and arrived a day late, they got us new train tickets and made sure we still had a room on arrival.

The staff were very polite and would go above and beyond to help us, I really can't speak highly enough of them and their efforts. It just makes us want to go back!! Everything was spotless and the hotel is in a great location in the old quarter. We really felt we could trust them. Our billing was clear and accurate. Anyone reading this I would book now, your search is over!!

Room Tip: Double glazing not totally necessary, we slept fine.
1 Thank Nicko79
England
Reviewed 16 December 2012

The staff were extremely helpful and friendly, they recommended some excellent restaurants for us and nothing was too much trouble, room was clean and comfortable and the breakfast was superb. A cut above the usual complimentary efforts.