“Excellent service with wonderful staff”

Hanoi Holiday Diamond Hotel
Ranked #53 of 586 Hotels in Hanoi
Sydney, Australia
“Excellent service with wonderful staff”
Reviewed 14 July 2013

This hotel is located perfectly in the old quarter, a 10 minute walk from the lake.

Pick up from the airport was a bit of a kerfuffle ... We were met by a confused looking bell boy off the night train, who did nothing to help my husband struggling with our luggage and me in a wheelchair. He guided us outside into the hell hole that is Hanoi train station, to an awaiting taxi. He then piled us and our luggage into the taxi and left, without a word.

We arrived at the hotel, to be met again by the same bell boy, who once again did nothing to help with the luggage. There was strangely a mattress on the floor in reception, which we found a bit comical, (thinking it was our bed for the morning!). After 5 minutes we were told we'd have to pay for the taxi, which was a bit embarrassing, as the taxi driver was patiently waiting! Looking back through emails though, we had actually been told about this.

As we arrived early off the night train, our room wasn't ready, (not surprising at 5am!), so we were given the option to go to one of their sister hotels until our room was ready. As we were on limited time in Hanoi, we opted instead to go for a (also recommended) walk by the lake, to watch the locals do their exercises! We are so glad we did - what a wonderful way to start the day!

We got back to the hotel at 8.30 am, and were given a temporary room, until ours was ready. This was a really basic holding room, perfect for a quick sleep.

A couple of hours later and we we were taken to our actual room, and were delighted to be surprised by 3 of the staff, welcoming us with a Happy Honeymoon cake, with candles and balloons! This was lovely, and they were genuinely so happy for us! Their giggles were very infectious!

We were given a free upgrade to the honeymoon room, which I'm presuming was the best room in the hotel. It was small, basic, but comfortable. For the price we paid we were happy.

Breakfast the next morning was from a choice of items. We had the pancakes and were happy.

This hotel is conveniently located, very cheap with exceptional staff, who go the extra mile.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 7 July 2013

my boyfriend and i stayed in this hotel from the 04 july - 08 july. This hotel has absolutely everything you could need. Breakfast each morning is fantastic, all you can eat and made to order! But the special mention has to go to the fantastic staff, they were always willing to go over and above what we expected from them. Even organising our train tickets, taxis and finding us an available room at very short notice when our travel plans didn't work out. It really was an absolute pleasure to stay here and the only place we would stay in Hanoi. .

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2013 via mobile

This hotel was a great little find in the old quarter. It isn't quite in the centre of the action but definitely close enough to walk. The staff are wonderful. We booked our halong bay tour through the hotel. Upon discovering we had been overcharged for this tour we queried this with the hotel. They contacted the tour company. It was explained to us that there was a miscommunication between the hotel and the tour company and that our money would be refunded. The manager of the tour company even came to the hotel to personally apologise with us and ensure we were happy with the outcome. He also delivered a new brochure to the hotel with updated prices for the tours. The breakfast every morning was amazing and we enjoyed trying lots of things from the menu. Tea and coffee facilities in the room, perfect aircon, complimentary water, a very cheap mini bar and hot water that was nice and hot. Only criticism of the bathroom is the bath. It was metal, flimsy and clearly not attached to the tiles. Whist sitting on the edge of the bath to shave my legs I leaned back and nearly tipped the bath on top of myself! Apart from this, a wonderful stay. Special mention to Jenny, Cherry and the man who works the desk for the afternoon shift (sorry, didn't catch his name). All of them were thoroughly informative and very pleasant to deal with. Unbeatable for $27/night in my eyes.

• Stayed July 2013
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Spotless rooms, great location, fantastic service. Dont go any further - book this place now.
We stayed 4 nights in a standard room, which was well above the quality of some of the other places we have stayed.
Its located right in the old quarter, so most of the sights of Hanoi are not far away.
The staff deserve special mention. I celebrated my birthday while at the hotel, and they made up our room, delivered flowers and a cake AND sang me happy birthday. Very special day.
We returned after a visit to Halong Bay, and even though we had checked out, the staff provided us with a cool drink and were more than happy for us to sit in the cool while we waited for our train to leave.
Seriously amazing hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 July 2013 via mobile

Wow, this was an amazing place to stay! Here's some of the highlights:

- Exceptional service! They were always going above and beyond from the moment I walked into the lobby, and even remembered my name when I came back after several days to Ha Long Bay.
- Great selection of foods for breakfast, made to order as you choose. Also very quick, should you be in a hurry like I was.
- Rooms have everything you need and more. Very comfortable beds, reasonable amount of space, all the bathroom amenities (plus a blow dryer should you need), complimentary water/tea/coffee, full minibar.
- Safety deposit box in your room, felt very secure overall
- Computer provided in your bedroom for you to use (free wi-fi included in hotel as well)
- Staff are very knowledgeable & helpful with planning activities & things to do around the city.
- Very good location near Old Quarter and 5-10 minute walk to Hoan Kiem Lake
- Very reasonable prices, starting at $25/night

Bottom line: I will definitely be staying here if/when I return to Hanoi, and I will be recommending to everybody. In fact, I already recommended it to another traveller who ended up staying there as well; they were so happy when I returned that they gave me a free room upgrade!

Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 30 June 2013 via mobile

What a great hotel. Great location, great value for money, and yummy breakfast (menu you can order from as many times as you want - eggs bacon bread pancakes fruit cereal croissants and more!)! But best of all is the staff! Both Jenny and Cherry on reception were amazing, they told us all the good sights, restaurants, bars in the area. They organised our halong bay tour and got us a booking when all the tour were fully booked. Also when we checked out I left my camera in the room and they have been so helpful in posting it back to me! Overall would definitely 100% recommend to everyone!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Niamh K
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 29 June 2013

I read a review on TA before I booked that said the staff was very happy... almost too happy. I laughed. The moment I stepped into the lobby and was enthusiastically greeted by 3 people with bright smiles and endless compliments, I completely understood what that reviewer meant. Their kindness was refreshing after traveling for months around South East Asia and thinking the word "Customer Service" was not in anyones vocabulary. They helped us book last minute Ha Long Bay Tickets, flights to Hoi An and multiple taxis. They even ran around town to get a box that was the right size for us to ship our items home.

They stored our luggage for us while we took a few days in Ha Long and a week Hoi An which was SO nice. We didn't have to pay an extra checked bag fee and they got a return customer- win win.

The all-you-can-eat breakfast was a nice break from all of the eggs we had been used to. They had the most delectable french toast- my husband still talks about how good it was.

The only small complaints I have are :
1. the inside room we had at first had very little light. I personally love lots of natural light so that was a little hard. We changed to a room with a window the next 2 times and that was much better.
2. the mattress was a bit hard in the rooms. But after long days of walking around in the heat, I could have slept on a park bench.

Overall... great hotel for the price!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple