“Great location, rooms and service. Just stay here.”

Essence Hanoi Hotel & Spa
Ranked #26 of 592 Hotels in Hanoi
Dallas, Texas
“Great location, rooms and service. Just stay here.”
Reviewed 8 September 2012

This place is everything they say it is. We had two nice visits with them this summer and were totally comfortable both times. They take cood care of you without being intrusive. Breakfast is good but, sadly, as a vegetarian, the meat items are too plentiful and almost everything dish has meat and nothing is marked. The workers sometimes are not clear about what is in the food and the bacon is in the same closed heating tray as the grilled tomatoes - yuck. Other than this issue, it was a very nice visit, spend a few extra dollars and get a room with a balcony or a window, the others are rather dark tho' still of a good size. The rooms are very clean and well equipted - they even have a laptop in each room with free internet! It's great. (really helpful front desk and manager were quick.to attend to any small matter. And - very convenient to have a driver waiting at the airport as it can be a bit crazy there)

Room Tip: Spend a bit more and get a deluxe room with a window or a suite with a balcony, we tried both and so...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alice K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (645)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
new york
Reviewed 7 September 2012

It was hard to believe all of the good reviews this place had received since opening a year ago, but my gosh, they are well deserved. We stayed here for a total of five nights spread out over two separate stays.

The customer service rep at the hotel is AMAZING. She helped us with so many things, including buying medicine at a nearby pharmacy, and telling us how much souvenirs should cost. We apparently received a free transfer from the airport by mistake for our first stay, and we didn't know that until our second stay, when the hotel staff deliberated whether to give us a second free transfer. They ultimately decided that because we had expected a transfer, they would give it to us -- that is A+ customer service. They clearly care about repeat business.

The rooms are excellent. We booked a deluxe room for $65 and it was worth every penny, especially because at one point I got sick and was thankful to have a spotless, polished bathroom in which to suffer through my sickness.

I just can't say enough about the service and the wonderful rooms. I wish we could have taken this hotel with us everywhere on our trip. It was that good. If you're going to Hanoi, you will not be disappointed if you stay here.

Also, the location can't be beat -- you're in the heart of the city!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Marietta, Ohio
Reviewed 5 September 2012

After reading great reviews, we booked the Essence for five nights in late August. A friend and I visited Vietnam to see my son and his wife who live in HCMC. She and I arrived at hotel around 8 pm - it was raining and Hanoi seemed frantic to us on our way in from the airport (where we had booked a car through the hotel - definitely recommend doing that) We drove into the old quarter and were overwhelmed by the noise, people, traffic, etc. We walked into the hotel and were warmly greeted by staff with a welcome drink. They were very helpful in getting us acclimated to Hanoi.

We are both fairly light sleepers and I was concerned having been in Hanoi previously, that we would have trouble with noise. But our room was very quiet - we were in room 506 I think - ask for one in quiet part of hotel. The air conditioner worked great, quickly cooling the room. The room itself was beautifully appointed - lovely bathroom and the beds quite comfortable. We had some laundry done there at a very reasonable price. The room is not huge but plently large - and is just so serene. The staff could not have been more accomodating - helping us with taxis, advice and maps.

The breakfast was good - as typical in Vietnam hotels we stayed in - a mix of Eastern and Western foods.

I recommend this to anyone - we felt it was a great value for the money - we paid $71/night including taxes and booked directly with them.

Room Tip: Be sure and ask for room in quietest part of hotel - as the hotel is located in a very busy part of...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Pam1951
Heshan, China
Reviewed 5 September 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights in Earlty October 2011, and I am waiting for a chance to get back. I had originally tried booking a room at the Elagance Ruby, and since there were no available rooms they turned me on to the Essence. I was hesitant due to the fact that the manager told me they had just opened, but with the reputation of the Elagance chain in Hanoi, I figured I would take the chance on thier new property.

From the moment I checked in I knew that I had made the right decision, with a nice welcome drink, frozen towel, and overall truely 5 star service. Since I was only there for three days I played the wearther by ear to scheulde a tour our to Halong Bay. After a rainy first day, I woke up the second morning to about the clearest day I have seen in an industrailized southeast Asian country and asked at breakfast if it was still possible to book a Cruise on Halong Bay, sure enough they were able to make the arrangements and 20 minutes later I was on my way, a full day cruise & lunch for about $38, what a deal.

Being a foodie, most of my meals were eaten at some of the hundreds of street food vendors that fill the streets of the Old Quarter, but I did have breakfast in the hotel all three mornings which was superb. Even the Pho was perfect.

Overall for the size of the hotel, Price, Service and quality it ranks 5 star plus on any international standard. Great work and cant wait to come back.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank B0ST0N_ED
London
Reviewed 4 September 2012

This is an ideal city hotel, an absolute exemplar of what others should be striving for.

Fabulous staff who quite literally jumped up with huge smiles every time guests entered the lobby in case they needed something. Restaurants were booked, taxis were called , water puppets tickets obtained and flight reservations were confirmed in a trice. Very spruce and fresh rooms which were spotless and shiny and had all possible requirements including a laptop. The one we stayed in was completely quiet. A restaurant in the lobby with fresh affordable food [could also order via room service] and decent breakfasts. A location that meant you could readily dip in an out of the old quarter which is simply fascinating, humming with life and almost medieval in atmosphere, A stones throw from amazing street food, hundreds of little local restaurants packed with local families and some excellent upmarket places, we tried from across the range to get the full flavour of Hanoi.

All this is packaged at a very keen price, indeed so incredibly low by UK standards that I had worried a bit before we arrived that it would not be what we were looking for, but do not hesitate as this hotel is guaranteed to appeal to virtually everyone, Whilst we were there we were also able to arrange a late check out until 6 pm for 50% of the already pretty small room price thus allowing us to fully enjoy the day and not have to hang around town in the heat on the day we went by overnight train to Sapa.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank jadeb
Christchurch
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Amongst the excitement madness of the old quarter is a contemporary oasis where the staff cannot do enough to make sure you are prepared, have local maps, maximise your time, and provide shopping tips to ensure you wont get ripped off.

The staff are locals who love their city but also manage to give you exactly what you need to alleviate any travel concerns when you are in Hanoi. Even better an ANZ in the foyer.

Greeted and seated with a mango juice and a calm voice giving you an overview of the city you are able to reset before you go out amongst the exciting frenzy of the city.

It is close to beer corner and so those who want to not venture far can find shopping or restaurants within 2 blocks.

A fantastic modern hotel at an incredibly affordable price.

Room Tip: All rooms are modern and quiet
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank LucyChristchurch
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 28 August 2012

My partner and I recently stayed at the Essence Hanoi Hotel.

We picked this hotel based off Trip Advisor and also friends recommendations - and it paid off. This hotel was perfect for what we were looking for in Hanoi.

Location - it was central to the old district of Hanoi, and good walking distance from the lake and other key tourist sites (markets, water puppets). Also surrounded by many popular restaurants in the old quarter. We didn't have to get a taxi to go anywhere as we were able to just walk around to everything.

Staff - Exceptional staff who were always very friendly, personable and always willing to help out. From the minute we arrived, we felt as though the staff really got to know us and recognised us when we came in or at breakfast. They were very good at giving out informaiton about what to do and where to go and even when i had issues with a DVD i had bought one of the staff members came back with me to sort it out. In many ways the staff truly make this place!

Rooms - we had a deluxe room and a suite (we were upgraded on our first and last night!!). All the rooms very well equipped and comfortable with big king beds. Wifi in all the rooms was also a treat.

For short stays in Hanoi this please is absolutely perfect and very reasonably priced.
I will be going back next time i'm in Hanoi!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple