“Great service and definitely baby friendly!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hanoi Moment Hotel

Hanoi Moment Hotel
Ranked #58 of 580 Hotels in Hanoi
Singapore
“Great service and definitely baby friendly!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2013

I booked this hotel for four nights only after doing research on affordable Hanoi hotels which provide baby cots for free - you will be surprised at how few actually state this option on their websites - as we were bringing our 15 month old son. I was rather anxious about bringing a toddler along for the trip as I had read that Hanoi is not the most baby friendly city, but this hotel proved to be a gem for us. The cot was already set up in our room, a Junior Suite, when we arrived and it was a nice sturdy wooden cot, albeit a little small for our toddler (he is a turner in his sleep and would always wake when he turns and hits the side of the cot!), and there was a pillow provided and a fluffy duvet. The fluffy duvet proved to be a godsend in the cold weather plus airconditioned room. The room was a reasonable size, modern and cozy. It had full length windows leading out to a small balcony which oversees the main road. The windows blocked out most of the noise, although it was inevitable that we could still hear some of the furious horning that is characteristic of Hanoi, and the noise of the students from the opposite secondary school. However, it was charming to be able to observe the lives of the Hanoians from the balcony and from our room. The bathroom was small though, and we had some difficulty maneuvering when trying to shower our toddler, but managed to do all right after getting used to it. The bathroom floor tends to get flooded after someone uses the shower, despite the shower door, so if you are bringing an inquisitive toddler, remember to keep the bathroom door closed at all times!

We were very impressed by the efficiency and friendliness of the hotel staff - ranging from the waitresses in the cafe, the cleaning staff, the staff at the hotel desk, and the staff who always stood by the door ready to help. Most of them speak basic English, but the managers (I assume they are because they wore suits all the time), Jimmy and Kim, are real gems. They are fluent in English, extremely warm and efficient. Jimmy was always attentive, ensuring that my toddler had a baby chair at the breakfast table every morning, even asking whether he needed a cushion for padding. The hotel provides a map which also sets out a list of restaurant and attractions recommendations. We followed most of the restaurant recommendations - which Jimmy and Kim always kindly helped to make reservations at, with the specific request of a baby chair. The one time that we decided to dine at a restaurant that was not on the list, Jimmy even helped us to double check the address without us asking, to ensure that we were going to the right place.

We always called for taxis to go to various places and we would always be ushered into the taxi by at least one or two staff and waved off with sincere smiles. The staff who stands by the door is also on the ready lookout for any hotel guests in need of help. I was extremely impressed when we came back to the hotel one afternoon in a taxi, which stopped on the opposite side of the road. My husband was paying the fare while i was holding on to the toddler with one hand and trying to retrieve the stroller from the boot with the other. The hotel staff spotted us, and came over immediately to assist by retrieving the stroller and thereafter ushering us across the road (which was much appreciated given Hanoi's traffic conditions).

I especially loved how everyone was so friendly to my toddler (as opposed to considering him a nuisance which I have experienced at some places), which made our trip so much more pleasant. Kim was always ready with a friendly smile for my toddler and to chatter with him, which really helped us feel welcome all the time. He also offered up fresh milk for my toddler one morning (which was not on the buffet table). We didn't take up the offer then, but subsequently asked whether he could have a glass of milk on our second last afternoon there because his formula was running low, and Kim even asked whether we wanted it warmed! A good-sized cup of milk was thereafter delivered to our room piping hot! All the staff there were also welcoming of my toddler, and one of the waitresses even expressed dismay that she would not be seeing him anymore when we checked out. There is also a water feature with goldfish in it which entertained my toddler a fair bit whenever we were waiting in the lobby.

The breakfast options are good for a small hotel, and offers enough variety for a toddler - my son ate pho, cheese and bread in the morning on most days, but there are also pancakes (love the banana pancakes), eggs and sandwiches. They do a decent club sandwich which we had on two mornings!

We didn't go on any day trips so i can't comment on the hotel's arrangements for these. However, we asked them to get tickets for the Water Puppet Show and this was done efficiently. We picked up the tickets from the front desk just before going, and were informed we only had to pay for them upon check out.

The only con I can think about this place was the location - but i think this would be subjective. I would be happy with the location if I was travelling alone or only with my husband, but the Old Quarter is stressful to navigate with a toddler, and there is absolutely no way a stroller can be used. We tried for an hour on the first day, and gave up after that because we were moving the stroller up and down the pavements so much (and probably giving my toddler motion sickness) due to the scooters blocking the pavements, and thereafter felt threatened when we pushed the stroller on the road. My toddler ended up in the baby carrier whenever we were in the Old Quarter, and it is abit of a walk to Hoan Kiem Lake (15 min) when you are carrying a 10 kg kiddo! In this regard, the Hanoi Moment Hotel (I as opposed to II) has a better location because it is much closer to the Hoan Kiem Lake. We went to the Lake almost every day because my toddler could run/walk along the banks. However, in the end the location didn't bother us very much since we chose to take a taxi everywhere we went.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank dantine13

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2012

I enjoyed my stay in moment hotel. The service of the hotel was excellent, basically there is no need to ask for anything as the staff was very attentive to our needs. I know my kids thoroughly enjoyed their stay there. The rooms were clean and of adequate size for my family of 4. And there is free wifi....to keep in touch with family.

Keep up the good work and service. I will definitely recommend my friends and family.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2012

The staff at this hotel are so sweet, lovely and extremely hardworking and accommodating, it felt like a home from home. They will look after any spare baggage you have whilst visiting other areas like Ha Long Bay and Sapa. The breakfasts are great! A wide range of hot and cold options, i had the banana pancake which was delicious! The hotel is situated in a good central location with plenty of things to see and do on the doorstep. Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Stakkakarn
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2012 via mobile

This was the first stop on our trip and a surprisingly good hotel in the middle of the old quarter. It seems to be almost brand new and the owner has another hotel down the street also.

Helpful staf helped us out with restaurants. You get a little map of the old quarter when you check in with recommended walking routes, restaurants and sights.

They booked train tickets for us and booked the wrong destination at first. They fixed the mistake, even if that meant we had to go back to the hotel to pick up the tickets after we had spent one night on a cruise in ha long bay. To help us out they sent a member of the staff with us to train station to help us change the voucher for tickets and he even carried our bags all the way to the correct train carriage. Very service minded and helpful.

Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Norwegian_Nils
Holland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2012

I stayed at this hotel for just one night in November. I booked the junior suite, which was about $70 including brf. The room had a small balcony, the room itself was rather big and I really liked the bathroom. There is a laptop in the room. The brf was nice, you can order a la carte brf as well at no extra charge. The location is good as well, at the edge of the old quarter, meaning it is not that noisy, also very near to the market.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2012

The transfer from the airport to the hotel was flawless so was the arrival at the hotel. We were greeted with a drink and were welcomed by the staff. A map was handed out to us without us having to ask for one.
Hotel location is very good at the edge of the old town. All the main attractions are within walking distance of the hotel.

We booked a suite and were given a room on the 7th floor. The room was very nice but on the small side, especially for a suite. The room is well appointed with a large shower, a computer, fruit platter and bottle of wine. Walls are very thin and we could hear the people next door.

The breakfast room is on the small side, especially when the hotel is full and gets busy in the morning. The choice is good and the a la carte options, which are included, of good quality. The staff is very attentive and are a huge bonus to the hotel.

Overall a good experience at an affordable price.

Room Tip: Book a suite as the rooms are on the small side. A high floor (eg 5,6,7th) will protect you from the...