“Well-placed for wandering on foot.”
Review of Mai Hotel Hanoi

and 1 more site!
Mai Hotel Hanoi
Ranked #180 of 647 Hanoi B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 August 2012

My five nights at the Mai Hotel in the Old Quarter of Hanoi were very pleasant. I got a Junior suite for peanuts. The room had a small balcony overlooking the busy street below and a separate sitting area. The range of English-speaking TV channels was okay, the air-con worked well and came with its own remote. I don't eat breakfast, but those that did seemed to be tucking in! The staff were friendly and reception will give you a simplified street map if you ask. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: The double rooms looked small. I would pay an extra $5night for a bigger room.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 21 August 2012

After searching for hotels for many days, came accross Mai Hotel, had prompt responce and great help. Hotel was really helpfull, especially as traveling with 2 children anf also all of us being vegetarian.

Great friendly stafff here, all welcoming and helpfull., very pleasant service.

They arranged 2 trips for us, one to halong bay on a cruise the other day trip to national park.

Thetrip to Halong bay was great, fro national park had some problem but not at fault of the hotel. Hotel used one of their previously used tour guides, but without telling hotel or us, he send his firend instead. The tour guide ended up being useless. He was more like luggague on the trip. a tour guide should go with you and be a guide, in end go to the part he used another tour guide, sat himself in the car. said be 2 hours in monkey/turtle santuary, was 1 hour, then went to 30min drive into the park, then said will stay for 10-15min then head back to the gate for lunch. Wife asked what's after lunch, he said head back home- trip suppose be full day till 5pm then head back , adn lunch insid ethe park, not outsid eon the cheap stalls. The guys official name is phung anh dong tourist ID 101111841 ID expirt 6/4/14 his mobile number is 0977959595 I strongly recomng youcheck your guide, in end we done the whole trip ourself, ony real thing he done was buy the entrance ticket, which could have done ourself and also luch - staff spoke english. Just beaware of this gute, tried to gut short, and also paid half the lunch and had to argue the rest. In end really disapointed, just glad we work a goodtrip for the kids ourself out of it.

Sorry this was the only way i gould infomr visitors about htis tour guide.

I woudl recomend this hotel for anyone,

Room Tip: We selected the Rolls Royce Suite, ideal for the family trip.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2012

Have been travelling from Saigon to Hanoi by motorbike for the past month stopping along the way to experience the wonderful people and sights of Vietnam. Along my journey, I have stayed in many hotels ranging from 1 star to 5 stars. The experience with this hotel (especially the staff) really spoilt my impression of Vietnam which was great from Saigon but it was my first day in Hanoi and it was unfortunate that I booked this terrible hotel. Beware that the staff are dishonest and they will tell you upfront that the two bottles of drink at the dressing table is free but they chargesd me upon checkout. I argued that they stated that it was free but they would have none of it so I paid for two bottles (which is not a lot of money as it only cost 2 usd but coulf have bought it at 20 cents from the general store next door and I didn't want to waste my time arguing). After paying, I told them that I was going to write about my bad experience but they told me to go ahead as they didn't care. Guess their reputation is worth less 2 usd! I don't usually wrte awful review as I understand that the hotel is a livlehood to the staff but I just had to write this awful review to warn other travellers of the dishonest and rude staff so please do yourself a favor and do not check in to this hotel unless you want your trip to Hanoi to be ruined. If you do check in then I suggest you buy your own water. Was going to give a zero review score but can't do it as the bellboy and doorman were nice and polite. So I will give it a one for review score on their account. Perhaps the reception and manager should learn from them. Dine out for breakfast as the bf is unhygienic and I had the runs after eating. Dont book the tours from the manager who will hard sell you. go to the travel shop down the road where you will get a better experience and deal. I will not stay in this hotel even if it was free. That's how bad the experience with the staff was.

• Stayed: August 2012
4  Thank Hggddhxvg
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Mai Hotel is really a wonderful hotel! Amazing staff (Sarah in particular), very kind people, extradordinary service, wide and clean rooms, confortable beds, very good breakfast!
Great location as well: the hotel is located in the 'old' Hanoi, very close to the lake and to water puppet theatre.

We - my family and I - originally booked one night only but we decided to come back after Halong Bay cruise and then we came back again after a tour in the north of the country, since the hotel was too good!

We strongly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 August 2012

I stayed at this hotel in early July 2012 with two other adults and one child. On arrival after a long flight and at some strange hour of the night, we were greeted like family, and were placed into a great room and given great advice and assistance. The Manager was amazing. She really helped us, as did the rest of the staff, in getting us plane tickets to Hue, advice on where to go in Hanoi for good food etc and overall were all helpful. We returned to Mai Hotel after a quick trip to Sapa and were upgrading to the Rolls Royce Suite on our return. Great room with an amazing bath. The hotel was clean, great location, great staff and a dam fine omelette. WOuld stay again.

Room Tip: Good sized rooms. Good air-conditioning. Relatively quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Best Hotel i ever stayed. It is really apartment room type,it's really big room,big bedroom and big bathroom. And also a private sauna too.such a great hotel.so clean. Good service too. The staff are great,especially Sarah,thanks for your help Sarah *hug*..

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 27 July 2012

I have stayed in about 10 Hanoi hotels, usually in the chain that owns Jasmine hotel/Posh Hotel etc, but thought I'd try this one after seeing it heavily discounted on Agoda. We booked a double room and got a free upgrade to a parger room upon checkin.

For about $27/night the room was much bigger than the usual Old Town room size for under $40 - abour 6mx6m with a good size bathroom and rain shower. Good strong aircon, flat screen TV, and a buffet breakfast included. The only possible criticism is that it is a little dated - but for the price this is really irrelevant.

It is on the western edge of the old town, a 5-10 minute stroll in a straight line to the lake. There are 3 beer hoi shops right next door which is handy - start your evening with some beer and chili salt ribs only 5 paces from the front door. There is a good Bun Cha stall right across from the hotel too.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple