“Beautiful room, delicious buffet breaky, excellent service & professional staff!”
Review of Mai Hotel Hanoi

and 1 more site!
Mai Hotel Hanoi
Ranked #166 of 628 Hanoi B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 September 2012

We stayed at Mae Hotel Hanoi for 4 days (excluding our tour days). We were supposed to stay for only one night. The hotel is very new, very clean and the service is second to none. The hotel staff treat you like family. We were even upgraded to a deluxe suite without asking. They cleaned the room daily with complimentary water etc. The room was beautifully decorated and quite luxurious. It had a lovely balcony overlooking busy Hanoi which was nice too. The full buffet breakfast was absolutely scrumptious!!! The location of the hotel is excellent for exploring on foot and is close to food and locals markets. A special thank you to Sarah, the tour operator for the Mae Hotel, who was excellent and very helpful with organising our tours etc around Hanoi, Halong Bay, Catba Iisland etc. We left everything to her to organise and she was very professional and helpful ensuring we were always satisfied. We will definitely stay here next time we're in Hanoi!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Yve W
There are newer reviews for Mai Hotel Hanoi

Reviewed 10 September 2012

Very friendly and helpful staff. This was my first hotel in Vietnam, I made reservations up front.
No problems whatsoever.
You can easily ask for help or info, they're always ready to help you or even to help plan a day trip. Excellent service.
In fact I booked there again when returning to Hanoi, this time without reservation, which wasn't a problem either.

Room Tip: You might want to ask for a room at the street side 'cause often there are karaoke organised nex...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 8E7
Reviewed 27 August 2012

The things I like about this hotel:
- They have roundtrip airport transfers. Useful when you arrive or depart late at night.
- Rooms are clean.
- The bathroom has a shower enclosure. I like this because it will keep the rest of the bathroom (outside the shower area) clean and dry.
- Very close to local restaurants and city attractions. You can walk to Hoan Kiem Lake and the Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum.
- Close to great restaurants such as Align 3D Cafe (ranked #3 by CNN Go as best coffee shop in Hanoi), Tamarind Cafe (ranked #1 here, I think) and the local restaurant just at the corner of the block.
- Close also to shops if you want to buy stuff like the very great tasting Vietnamese coffee, souvenirs, bags, shoes, etc.
- They arranged our overnight cruise at Halong Bay. It was a luxury rate and it only cost us US$135.00 per person.
- You can leave your luggage if you are going out and you have checked out already. They will keep it for you in their storage room at the reception area.
- On our last day, they allowed us to reserve the room for an extra 10 hours after supposed checked out time because our flight out of Vietnam is past midnight for only US$20.00.
- Sales manager Sarah was very nice, speaks very good English and taught us a lot of stuff (where to eat, how to go to Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum by foot, to be careful at late in the evening, etc).
- Buffet breakfast is great.
- To those who are not very adventurous in trying out foods in other countries, there is a KFC just next door.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Alvin C
Reviewed 25 August 2012

My five nights at the Mai Hotel in the Old Quarter of Hanoi were very pleasant. I got a Junior suite for peanuts. The room had a small balcony overlooking the busy street below and a separate sitting area. The range of English-speaking TV channels was okay, the air-con worked well and came with its own remote. I don't eat breakfast, but those that did seemed to be tucking in! The staff were friendly and reception will give you a simplified street map if you ask. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: The double rooms looked small. I would pay an extra $5night for a bigger room.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 August 2012

After searching for hotels for many days, came accross Mai Hotel, had prompt responce and great help. Hotel was really helpfull, especially as traveling with 2 children anf also all of us being vegetarian.

Great friendly stafff here, all welcoming and helpfull., very pleasant service.

They arranged 2 trips for us, one to halong bay on a cruise the other day trip to national park.

Thetrip to Halong bay was great, fro national park had some problem but not at fault of the hotel. Hotel used one of their previously used tour guides, but without telling hotel or us, he send his firend instead. The tour guide ended up being useless. He was more like luggague on the trip. a tour guide should go with you and be a guide, in end go to the part he used another tour guide, sat himself in the car. said be 2 hours in monkey/turtle santuary, was 1 hour, then went to 30min drive into the park, then said will stay for 10-15min then head back to the gate for lunch. Wife asked what's after lunch, he said head back home- trip suppose be full day till 5pm then head back , adn lunch insid ethe park, not outsid eon the cheap stalls. The guys official name is phung anh dong tourist ID 101111841 ID expirt 6/4/14 his mobile number is 0977959595 I strongly recomng youcheck your guide, in end we done the whole trip ourself, ony real thing he done was buy the entrance ticket, which could have done ourself and also luch - staff spoke english. Just beaware of this gute, tried to gut short, and also paid half the lunch and had to argue the rest. In end really disapointed, just glad we work a goodtrip for the kids ourself out of it.

Sorry this was the only way i gould infomr visitors about htis tour guide.

I woudl recomend this hotel for anyone,

Room Tip: We selected the Rolls Royce Suite, ideal for the family trip.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2012

Have been travelling from Saigon to Hanoi by motorbike for the past month stopping along the way to experience the wonderful people and sights of Vietnam. Along my journey, I have stayed in many hotels ranging from 1 star to 5 stars. The experience with this hotel (especially the staff) really spoilt my impression of Vietnam which was great from Saigon but it was my first day in Hanoi and it was unfortunate that I booked this terrible hotel. Beware that the staff are dishonest and they will tell you upfront that the two bottles of drink at the dressing table is free but they chargesd me upon checkout. I argued that they stated that it was free but they would have none of it so I paid for two bottles (which is not a lot of money as it only cost 2 usd but coulf have bought it at 20 cents from the general store next door and I didn't want to waste my time arguing). After paying, I told them that I was going to write about my bad experience but they told me to go ahead as they didn't care. Guess their reputation is worth less 2 usd! I don't usually wrte awful review as I understand that the hotel is a livlehood to the staff but I just had to write this awful review to warn other travellers of the dishonest and rude staff so please do yourself a favor and do not check in to this hotel unless you want your trip to Hanoi to be ruined. If you do check in then I suggest you buy your own water. Was going to give a zero review score but can't do it as the bellboy and doorman were nice and polite. So I will give it a one for review score on their account. Perhaps the reception and manager should learn from them. Dine out for breakfast as the bf is unhygienic and I had the runs after eating. Dont book the tours from the manager who will hard sell you. go to the travel shop down the road where you will get a better experience and deal. I will not stay in this hotel even if it was free. That's how bad the experience with the staff was.

• Stayed: August 2012
4  Thank Hggddhxvg
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Mai Hotel is really a wonderful hotel! Amazing staff (Sarah in particular), very kind people, extradordinary service, wide and clean rooms, confortable beds, very good breakfast!
Great location as well: the hotel is located in the 'old' Hanoi, very close to the lake and to water puppet theatre.

We - my family and I - originally booked one night only but we decided to come back after Halong Bay cruise and then we came back again after a tour in the north of the country, since the hotel was too good!

We strongly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family