“A Must!”

and up
Private Tour: Ninh Binh Day Trip from Hanoi
Ranked #135 of 806 Tours in Hanoi
More attraction details
Owner description: Footprint is an ethical company offers trekking, cycling & package tours. We aim to provide our guests with unique experience & true value in travel.
Colchester, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Must!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

Back home reflecting on our recent trip to Vietnam, we agree the highlight has to be our time cycling in the Mekong Delta. We loved every minute of the experience and this was largely due to the care and professionalism of our wonderful guide, Phuc. He is a genuinely great guy who worked so hard to inform us about our ever changing surroundings. He led us in an unfamiliar situation and we felt comfortable and safe at all times. Taking our Vietnam experience as a whole, we feel that our cycling tour gave us exactly the insight into the culture and countryside we had hoped for. We learned so much about everyday life in the villages and towns we passed through, not to mention the more well known tourist spots ....floating market etc. Such a valuable and enriching experience is not to be missed. Don't be put off by the cycling. Good bikes, easy terraine and not at all taxing. We also had the chance to meet other travellers with a keen sense of adventure.
Please pass on our thanks to Phuc for his humour, thoughtfulness and obvious passion for the place of his birth. To our driver ,for his obvious skill in negotiating the 'motorbike madness' Our pre trip contact with Hao in answering our questions was excellent. We felt we had chosen wisely with Footprints, but our experience surpassed anything we had expected. We would recommend your company with complete confidence.

London, United Kingdom
“tour of Vietnam”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

I would like to take this opportunity to thank our tour operator, Ms Hang and her team at footprint. Ms Hang organised an exciting and interesting tour specially tailored to our wishes and our caring and knowledgeable guides and our very skillful drivers made sure that it was delivered beautifully. We are completely satisfied and appreciate their team work. I traveled with my friend and we chose footprint for their ethical reputation. We were not disappointed and we noticed that local people and communities were involved and benefiting from our tour and this added to our pleasure. We really hope that we can return to Vietnam and get footprint to help us. Best wishes for footprint and lovely people of Vietnam!

Frankfurt, Germany
3 attraction reviews
“3-day cycling trip in Mekong Delta”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

Had a wonderful time cycling in the Mekong Delta. We were a group of 9 plus our guide.
On the first day we were picked up at the hotel in Saigon and started by bus to Vinh Long, from there we took a boat to a small island and stopped at a local house where we were offered some fresh fruit and could get an inside look at the everyday-life of the locals. After a wonderful lunch we got on the bikes (very good equipment! I was really surprised:-)) and cycled through the Mekong region, along the river, houses, rice fields and many friendly Vietnamese. The first night we spent at a homestay were we even got a cooking lesson and a great dinner! Nice place and nice owner! The next day we were on the bikes again to get to see even more of the Mekong region, the guys taking care of the bikes and our luggage were always very helpful and did a great job, so that the bikes were always in good condition. Before we started or tour or wherever we arrived we got a bottle of water and refreshing towels... Our guide stopped at several places, explained a lot and gave us time to explore the surrounding and take photos. On our last day we started early in the morning to do a boat trip to the floating markets of Can Tho (excellent!!!) before we got back to our bikes and cycled the last kilometres before we had our last lunch together and were then brought back to our hotel in Saigon.
Everything was perfectly organized! Everybody was very friendly and helpful and the whole group was a lot of fun! I can only recommend it!!!
Especially my contact from Footprint in Hanoi, Hanna, who helped me organize the tour and arranged my visa for Vietnam, was extremely helpful and caring, we even stayed in contact after that trip and she was very helpful in finding some right decisions concerning other tours or even with things I couldn’t book with her. She answered directly if I had a question or even called! Thank you Hanna!:-)

Visited December 2013
OAKVILLE
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Overall a good trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

We just returned from a trip to Vietnam arranged by Hanna at Footprints. Hanna was really helpful in planning. We did a day tour of Vietnam, 2 day Halong Bay junk boat, 3 day cycling in Mai Chau, and 4 days in Sapa.

Halong Bay was awesome (it is outsourced to Indochina Junk).

Mai Chau is a beautiful area and much less touristy compared to Sapa. We requested a fit guide and we were very pleased to have a professional cyclist as our guide. There is an abundance of quiet roads and beautiful scenery in Mai Chau. While cycling we saw many markets with unrefrigerated meat. When we arrived at Sol Bungalows (beautiful new hotel) we asked about where their meat comes from and we were told it was from the local market. Our guide and the hotel staff assured us that meat does not need to be refrigerated! At that point we asked for a vegetarian meal. I had already been sick from a meal in Hanoi.

Sapa is very touristy but still worthwhile ( although I did prefer Mai Chau). The food options in Sapa are extensive but by then we were very nervous about meat refrigeration. We trekked to a homestay which was quite an experience! It was definitely not touristy! We again did not eat meat but witnessed chicken preparation without the usual precautions of disinfecting items that raw meat has touched. My husband was throwing up and had diarrhea all night at the home stay but we believe that it was from Pho soup that he had before the homestay. The experience was close to camping and definitely not for people that frequent 5 star hotels. That being said, it was an experience that I will never forget.

The trekking in Sapa is awesome but we ran into some problems. We had booked an extra day for trekking on our own but were not told that you are not allowed to trek on trails without a licensed guide that has obtained permits. The first trek to our homestay was supposed to be 5-6 hours but when we arrived we learned it was only 8 kilometres. Our guide kindly took us on a 14 km route instead. Then we had to rearrange the itinerary to make sure we had enough trekking and to have a guide hike with us for our free day of trekking. We really liked our guide but he acknowledged that he was not fit enough to hike all day with us. He tried to find another guide but couldn't. To my surprise he did keep up with us for most of the day. The whole thing could have been better planned ahead of time if we had been told that we wouldn't be able to hike alone. I had let Hanna know that we are very fit and requested a fit guide.

The other thing about Sapa is that the locals are becoming very dependent on tourist dollars and we got very tired of being followed for money.

I would recommend Footprints travel. If you like trekking you need to have lots of communication with them ahead of time to make sure your expectations are met. I also recommend upgrading your hotels wherever you can (we did). I saw some of the standard hotels and would not have been satisfied staying there. I think that five years ago I would have given this trip 5/5 but as I get older my expectations get higher. I admit that some of my complaints are because I am picky!

2 Thank Loverabbits
Newberg, Oregon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Visit to Vietnam”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

When we decided to visit Vietnam, I researched many travel sites to decide where I wanted to visit. After determining a basic itinerary, I sent requests to four different travel agents. Ms. Hang at Footprints offered the most value for the money. She also worked with me to develop my itinerary, offering suggestions and keeping in mind my special requests. Our trip was a good balance between my interests and Ms Hang’s suggestions, a good balance between guided time and free time to explore on our own. My wife and I had the delightful opportunity to meet Ms. Hang while we were in Hanoi. Her gracious hospitality continued. Our visit exceeded all of our expectations—itinerary, included sightseeing, lodging facilities, food, transportation, and guides.

2 Thank DrBobFl