We booked our 2-night stay even before the hotel was inaugurated, so it was really a bet on this one. We paid about 80 usd through Agoda, which was a very competitive price considering what we got in exchange. Being a soft opening, some last-minute works were still going on, but they were restricted to daytime working hours, and did not interfere with our experience.
- Hotel has a great location, in the heart of the old quarter. It's a 5 minute walk to Hoan Kiem lake, and within walking distance from many landmarks in Hanoi (Temple of Literature, One-Pillar Pagoda, Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum, etc).
- We got a room on the seventh floor which was modern and had a nice design. It's really a nice feeling to enter into a brand new room, especially when it has been decorated with good taste like in this case. We were facing the back of the hotel, so no noise at all could be heard from the street. The bed was very comfortable (pillows were great) and there was a big flat-screen TV with plenty of international and local channels. As advertised, we also had the free minibar with soft drinks and beer.
- Staff were super friendly. Special mention to the waiters in the breakfast area, the ladies at the reception and the bellboy. All of them were eager to help, and made our short stay really special. A nice detail was the chocolate gift and card that were given to my wife upon check-in, as it happened to be Woman's Day.
- Free wifi with good speed is available everywhere in the hotel, with a single password. As I always say, this is a lesson to learn for all 5-star hotels which are still charging for this basic service.
Our stay at Golden Silk Hotel was really great. The minor points listed below are just a piece of constructive user advice, in case the management gets to read this review:
- Safebox is not attached to the wall. Some extra plugs would help, but this is just my wife being too picky.
- Water pressure was not so good in the shower, particularly in the morning. I'm not sure whether this is a general problem in Hanoi or it was just in the hotel, but it's definitely an issue to be addressed.
Breakfast had its pros and cons. It was a la carte, so don't expect the typical buffet spread here. This also implies that you should factor some time, as everyone is served in their table. You get to choose whatever you want from a limited set of options, which includes both eastern and western alternatives (the latter perhaps a bit limited).
Golden Silk Hotel was a pleasant surprise, as we had all the advantages of a brand-new hotel and the staff looked really trained (which is not the norm when it's been just one week since the opening). As long as they keep the service standards and pay attention to the maintenance of the hotel, I have no doubt it will make it to the top spots in Tripadvisor. We will definitely return next time we are in Hanoi.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- "Elegance in Exclusive Luxury" 55 rooms and suites opening 01 March 2012, captivating vistas of Hanoi's old quarter. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Agoda, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Golden Silk Boutique Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.