“Mix feelings.”

Church Boutique Hotel Hang Gai
Ranked #188 of 599 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

I live in Asia and know people don't like telling the truth if it leads to them losing face, but it still annoys me. We arrived late at night and were told we had been upgraded to a suite. I said I didn't want the upgrade, but was told to 'try' it for one night and if I didn't like it we could move the next day. We travelled in the lift to the 9th floor then up a flight of stairs to the roof. The suite was a shoebox. We dumped oir stuff and went out to look for food. I told the guy at reception I wanted the room I booked the next day. He said it would be no problem. The next day we were told the room we were in was delux and what we had booked and trip advisor was wrong. I hate being lied to much. I put a review similar to this on here and that evening told the hotel what was on my mind and the next day got my lovely room with a balcony. It was fabulous! Maybe worth all the grief as we appreciated it all the more. I really had a great holiday after that. Please if you find yourself in a similar situation, stand your ground. They also asked me to remove my original post from this site which I did, but they were short sighted to think I wouldn't want to warn fellow travellers.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Hayley F

Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed at the Church Boutique Hotel in Hang Gai street is right in the heart of Hanoi old quarter April of this year.
The rooms were very comfortable, the staff really friendly and were always willing to help.
There was never a problem with language issues even though a few staff may have some difficulty with the english language.
We have to remember we are the visitors this country and should remember that english is not their first language. Front counter staff have an excellent grasp of the english were other staff may still be learning but still do reall well to understand.
Staff were all very willing to assist and please and yes umbrellas were available for guest use.
Breakfast was part of the deal in a lovely dining room with a view overlooking the street activities. All meals are most reasonably priced for the traveller. And I highly recommend dining in for the evening meal.
This Hotel may be small but has so much to offer the visitor with quality and service. It is not expensive to stay there and includes free WIFI which was very handy as to the advantage of money changing.
Hang Gai which is "silk street" and is in the middle of Hanoi a few minutes walk from the lake and other attractions and there are plenty of restaurants close by where the beer is cold and the food great.
There are a total of 3 Church Boutique Hotels but this was the most central and well worth the stay there.
If I go back to Hanoi, I will be requesting that my stay be at the Church Boutique Hotel in Hang Gai again.
Thank you to all staff at the Church Boutique Hotel in Hang Gai for making our holiday such a pleasure.

Room Tip: Room over looking the street activities.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Martin C
Son N, Manager at Church Boutique Hotel Hang Gai, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear Martin C,

On behalf of the hotel management, I would like to say my sincere thanks to you. Your review is a big recompense for our hotel and it helps our hotel to assert our brand name. I hope that the future customers will be satisfied by our services.

We look forward to welcoming you again in Church boutique hotel on day soon

Best Regards.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

We spent one night in this charming hotel. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. Rooms were modern, clean and nice. Breakfast was delicious and again, the staff were very friendly. We are a Western size family of four and traveled with another Western family of four. We did have four separate rooms (2 people per room) as I'm not sure there are rooms to accommodate a family of four in one room. The only downside that isn't the fault of the hotel was that we had to wait after checkout for our train and the lobby was small and couldn't accommodate the eight of us comfortably. Also, we felt we were setting a bad image for the hotel by crowding in while other guests walked in. We should mentioned we were scheduled to return to this hotel but requested to be switched to another hotel for the reason mentioned above. Again, we felt weren't setting a good light on the hotel. They gave us a free cancellation so we really appreciated it. My family of four will definitely return the next time we are in Ha Noi and won't mind staying in two rooms. Our children are teenagers so it's okay.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Beth S

Dear Beth S,

On behave of Church boutique Hotel Management .I'm very happy to read your comment that you enjoy our services: comfortable room, good breakfast and helpful staffs. We always follow the guest's satisfaction, so, your comment is so important for our business.

We look forward to welcoming you again in Church boutique hotel on day soon

Best regard

Reviewed 8 August 2014

A great hotel in great location near Old Quarter. Room adequate size.....clean & surprisingly very little noise from busy road outside. Staff very friendly & helpful. We were able to leave our large suitcases in storage while we spent a few days travelling elsewhere. Nothing was a problem. Staff in restaurant very friendly .......good breakfast.

Room Tip: We were on 5th floor facing Hang Gai St & there was very little noise from outside. I heard peop...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Deb O
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I loved this hotel. The room was good, and with fresh fruit provided every day. The only two minor comments I would have is that (1) the fridge does not get really cold, and (2) the breakfast does not always cater for vegetarians. Other than that, I found the staff to be incredibly helpful and accommodating. Also, being in the old city means it has a great location, close to shops and restaurants. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Son N, Người quản lý at Church Boutique Hotel Hang Gai, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear CeliciaS,

On behave of Church boutique Hotel Management, I would like to say thank you so much for your honestly comment during your stay with us. We are so sorry for any inconvenience caused to you during your stay. We always follow the guest's satisfaction, so, your comment is so important for our business.
We look forward to welcoming you again in Church boutique hotel on day soon.
Best regard

Reviewed 5 August 2014

In July 2014 I stayed in the Church Boutique Hotel in Hanoi.
It is a very nice hotel in the old French quarter of Hanoi.
The decoration of the rooms are very beautiful. And a nice buffet breakfast.
Sue from custom care gives you perfect advise of all the things you can do in the area.
That did make my stay even more pleasant.
You get really personal advise of the best possible tour.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Trippy1001

Dear Trippy1001,

Thank you for your comments! I was glad to hear that you had a good stay with us during your recent trip to Hanoi and that you enjoyed our location, decoration, service and food.

I have passed along your comments to our management to congratulate the staff on their hard work and to encourage them to continue to improve our standards.

Thanks again and we hope to welcome you back to Church Boutique Hotel on your next trip to Hanoi!

Best Regards.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

First the bad points. When we arrived we were told that we'd been upgraded, and would we please try this room for 1 night. We were suspicious, and we were right to be. We had booked a deluxe room with a balcony, but our 'upgrade' was a tiny room on the top floor, meaning that we had to walk up/down the top flight of stairs after/before using the elevator. Being smokers, this meant we had a long trip every time we wanted a cigarette. We complained, and were told we would be moved the next day.
The next day were were told it was not possible to move us, and that the room we were in was the one we had booked. Obvious rubbish, so my wife posted a review of our terrible treatment on this site. The next day, surprisingly (NOT) moved, and then asked to remove the review. After this we were treated like royalty.
Our new room was very spacious and had a huge balcony. If you want this room make sure you specify room 703. There was plenty of storage space, a beautiful bathroom, and a large, comfortable bed with plenty of space around it.
The breakfast buffet had many choices: bacon, sausages, egg, and toast; muesli, fruit, and yogurt; various cold cuts and cheeses; soup, beef and noodles, and much, much more.

Room Tip: Go for room 703; it has the biggest balcony in the entire hotel. Do not accept room 1001; the elevat...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple