“Oasis in Hanoi”

Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi
Ranked #47 of 598 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed 17 August 2012

Recently stayed in an Opera wing King room with Club Metropole benefits with my spouse. The room was high quality, generously sized and very clean. There were some layout issues however. The bathroom is open to the bedroom - this was not an issue for us until I became a bit sick from something and needed to get up during the night without disturbing my spouse. In addition, the only place to sit in the room was an uncomfortable chaise. However, while I didn't book this hotel for the food, it turned out that the food became the highlight. Club Metropole benefits included breakfast, afternoon tea and evening cocktails. According to the butler who showed us to our room, because we were staying 3 nights, we were given a choice of eating breakfast at either the Club, Le Beaulieu (the French restaurant) or Spices Garden (the Asian restaurant). We ate at Le Beaulieu twice and the Spices Garden once. Each of the restaurants has a somewhat more extensive selection of dishes, although the Club level still had an excellent selection. The restaurant choice impacted whether Western or Asian dishes predominated although both types of dishes were offered at all locations. Great pastries, omelets, breakfast meats, fresh fruits, dim sum, noodles, pancakes, potatoes and more dishes than I could name were available. Service was significantly better at Le Beaulieu than at Spices Garden. Afternoon tea at the Club was also very nice with scones, finger sandwiches, salads, fresh spring rolls and other dishes available. The cocktail service at the Club, however, really surprised us. In addition to excellent cocktails and/or wine, there was an extensive selection of salads, cold cuts, cheeses, breads, desserts and other dishes. To top it off, a server came around with freshly prepared hors d'oeuvres which were not part of the buffet. We were served escargot brioche, seared peppered ahi tuna, crispy pork belly with rice and other items. The items were different every night. It was really a great cocktail service. Although we chose to eat outside of the hotel for most dinners, the Club benefits made it tougher to leave than expected. We ended up hanging out during the cocktail service and catching the Olympics in the Club because it was more comfortable than in our room. The Club benefits, which also include wifi, are well worth a premium primarily because of the food service. We did encounter a service glitch when trying to book a car and driver through the hotel. The Club receptionist/concierge, the Club butler and the general concierge kept sending us to each other to make the reservation. After being passed around, we were told that the butler would follow up with us. Ultimately, no one followed up. This was a disappointing lapse in service.

Room Tip: Club Metropole benefits really added to the experience.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi

Reviewed 17 August 2012

I spent 3 nights this August at the Sofitel Legend in Hanoi and was very pleased with the beauty of the hotel and professionalism of the staff. Stayed on the club level of the Opera wing (the new wing) and was very pleased with the room and services offered. Our stay included breakfast at any one of 3 restaurants, and the buffet was great; tea and happy hour at the club level which included nice food choices as well. The hotel is beautiful and the opera wing which was built later does a great job fitting in with the colonial grandness of the original building. Our butler was great and, without asking, upgraded our overnight boat stay in Halong Bay, which was a great surprise. This is an elegant hotel with a well trained staff and great facilities and location. If I had one area that could be improved, it was that some of the staff working directly with clients (even at the club level reception) had a challenge with their English, granted it was still better than my Vietnamese!

Room Tip: you may consider the club level...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
SLMHHanoi, Manager at Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2012

Dear Guest,

I am truly grateful for your feedback. It was a real delight hosting you at Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi.

It has been a great pleasure and honor to meet your expectations in terms of level of services.

Your contribution about the English level of our staff is well noted and we will look into further reinforcing the skill for our team.

I am looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 16 August 2012

There are a number of hotels in Asa which just have to be experienced and this is one of them. It has history, character and offers a good alternate to the homogeneous international business hotel chains. As with all older properties there are some not so wonderful elements but the overall experience is very pleasant. My only reservation is that the rooms themselves are not impressive but this is more than compensated for. The location is perfect if you are interested in wandering around Hanoi, dining out or sightseeing.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hardtopleaseofhk
SLMHHanoi, Manager at Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2012

Dear Guest,

It is such a delight to read our guests' satisfaction. I thank you for your kind words regarding our service, character, history and central location.

Thank you as well to let other Tripadvisor travellers know about your experience at Metropole Hanoi.Your satisfaction is our utmost reward.

We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 14 August 2012

We spent 4 nights in 2 rooms. The manager Morgan from Singapore was excellent. The next day there was another duty manager and my mum complained about the room temerature being too cold, our room was really warm and the manager told her it was cold outside. She is unassuming and it was disappointing that I had to intervene and be firm - they we moved within the hour. We had another request for boiled corn and it was impressive that it was accommodated.night3 we ordered pizza, hopeless soggy dough. Second choice was toasted cheese and tomato- this arrived 35 mins later cold awful. Service in the French restaurant was higher than the Vietnamese spice garden (ladies looked bothed if you asked for anything)

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
SLMHHanoi, Manager at Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for having taken the time to share your experience at our hotel. Your feedback is extremely important to us.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we only regret that the pizza and the cheese tomato were not upto your expectation and and we apologise for these happenings.

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to being of service to you once again.

Reviewed 14 August 2012

This place is bloody awesome but only if you stay in one of the grand premium rooms. I first stayed in the basic room on the Opera Wing side and it was nice but nothing spectacular with a very basic room and bathroom with no tubs. I really, really wanted a tub...
Somehow my bf got us an upgrade to the grand premium luxury room and let me just say that the basic rooms are just inferior. The difference? Grand premium luxury room has Hermes soap while the basic room has regular soap, luxury room has a nicer, more expensive scale, no mold in the shower at all, separate toilet area, two sinks, and even the maids are dressed nicer in cute little French maid outfits.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time at the Sofitel. The Sofitel, to me, epitomizes Hanoi. I still remember the walk from my room down to Le Beaulieu for breakfast, passing the hallway with mirrors on either side, through the double glass doors, being met with a burst of early morning hot humid air as I walk outside and down the outdoor pathway that connects the new wing to the old. The garden is so beautiful and lush with a bit of the beautiful colonial architect of the Le club cafe/bar peaking out that I can never forget. I feel like I'm back in 1920's Vietnam. That is the strongest memory I have of the Sofitel. The next is having afternoon tea/ drinks at Le Club when my bf and I just wanted to take it easy. Once again, it's absolutely gorgeous and makes me feel like I've been transported back in time. You can take your time sipping your tea or coffee here without having anyone rush you. I usually sit in the corner of the nook, surrounded by glass windows and ceiling fans, drowning in beautiful afternnoon light.

I am willing to forgive all the flaws (snooty front desk people, not very knowledgeable staff, okay breakfast) because when it's right, it's sooo right, just like a beautiful temperamental woman I guess. To quote Mad Men, "What price would we pay? What flaws would we forgive?"

Next time I think I'll try the historical wing.

Room Tip: Wait for one of those expedia deals where you get to stay 3 nights for only $213/night in the grand...
Reviewed 13 August 2012

We stayed at this hotel in the middle of July 2012 and had a room in the Opera Wing. Starting with the entrance, the hotel radiates grandeur in a sort of 'thirties colonial-era way'. This atmosphere continues in the entire hotel : restaurants, pool, rooms, ...
The room we got was one of the best we ever stayed in. Very stylish and very spacious.

During our stay, we also used the spa (very relaxing, but perhaps a tad expensive) and dined in the Spices Garden restaurant. This restaurant offers a buffet-style dinner on Saturdays, which is a definite must-do!

Staff is discreet but extremely attentive to the needs of the guests.

In short : everything you can expect from a good 5-star hotel. Perfect for a (romantic) getaway in style.

1  Thank janschonk
SLMHHanoi, Manager at Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2012

Dear Guest,

I am happy to hear that you have had a lovely stay at Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi during your recent trip to our city.

It was a real delight that you have enjoyed your experience at our buffet dinner at Spices Garden restaurant.

I am looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 13 August 2012

If you are looking for old school charm, romance , luxury then you have to give Sofitel Hanoi a try.
We went all out and stayed in the club floor on the top floor in the "new" part of the hotel. Club rooms are not available in the old side. We have the accor card and it makes a huge difference in price so it was a good deal to experience the club benefits . The benefits included breakfast,afternoon tea, cocktails and snack to name a few... And also a butler who offered to unpack our suitcase!! We were a bit embarrassed about this but next time we'l take the offer when our bags are tidy.
The club room was amazing. The French style decor was luxurious and like nothing I had seen before. The bathroom had the stand alone french bath. The bathroom had Hermes products. There was a private toilet which we prefer rather than an open plan bathroom. The bed was comfortable.
We requested a 2nd suitcase stand as there was only one in the room. I am not sure why most luxury hotels only place one area for the suitcase when usually it is a couple traveling . But this was not an major issue as they immediately delivered a 2nd Stand upon request.
There was not much of a view from this room which faced another building but you can request a room facing the pool which was booked out for a tourist group at the time But that did not really make a difference as the room was top notch and such a pleasure to be in.
The service is 50percent of makes this hotel amazing. The butler looked after us as if we were VIP guests. We received a warm welcome and the attention we received made us feel special. All of the staff were helpful. I had blocked ears from flying and also recovering from a flu. Our butler Thang took care of my needs and went the extra mile to aid my recovery. The service we received from our butler ,Thang ,was at an exceptional level. This really made our holiday the most memorable a luxurious holiday.
The club lounge was very nice. They food was delicious. There was not alot of vegetarian option and it did get a bit repetitive after a few days.The macaroons were very popular and would run out quickly so we had learnt to get in quick as the tray did not get topped up for some reason. It was all very fancy and the presentation of food was spectacular. The tea service was traditional and very "fine". I enjoyed the french basket to my table with my breakfast. I had sampled a few non alcoholic cocktails which were very refreshing.
The restaurants in the hotel were also superb. We we had tried the Italian restaurant. It had a very cool vibe to the place. The pizza and pasta was nice. The cafe with the outdoor seating was lovely. We sipped on our Vietnamese ice coffee and did people watching one hot afternoon. The area outside the hotel is very clean and pretty and popular with young bride and groom having their photographs taken. The park is very serene and the locals play badminton and kids playin the afternoon.
I was treated by my husband to a visit to the spa one day. I was asked to select what scent I prefered and also what sort of music would I like to hear whilst having my massage.... This was a first. It was a brilliant idea.one thing I did not feel comfortable with was a unisex spa pool/sauna. As there was a male guest in the spa I did not feel comfortable using it -but that is my personal preference.

Overall, I would love to return someday soon and the experience the hanoi charm again. I love the historical vibe and the cool luxury of the place. It is posh without the snootiness. It was truly magical!

Room Tip: Club rooms are great , and try to request pool facing

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay. Great that you enjoyed Club room and Club Floor and it is one of our guest's favourite spaces in the hotel and agree truly magical.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Management Team - Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi