“Great experience”

Ranked #42 of 588 Hotels in Hanoi
Hanoi, Vietnam
“Great experience”
Reviewed 8 December 2013

We stayed a night at Sofitel Metropole.
My first impression was the atmospere and the location. the location is convenience to walk to the old quarter. moreover, there are many restaurants and shopping store around.
I love all cakes and macaroons which bought at the store near the lobby.
The room was also very nice with a comfortable bed.
Good turndown service.
the cafe outside was also very nice, sitting there and enjoy a drink was a good way to relax after working hours.
I'd love to stay again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank My B
SLMHHanoi, Manager at Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear MyB,

I thank you for such excellent a feedback! We genuinely love to pamper all of our guests. It is therefore a great satisfaction for us to hear that you have had such a wonderful time with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in our centrally located hotel.

The management team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,325)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

at the Legend Metropole!! We loved this place, we stayed for three nights as part of our honeymoon. At check in they gave me a bunch of red roses and upgraded us to a beautiful room in the metropole wing. There a wonderful hand written card, more roses and a box of chocolates were waiting for us, it was amazing. The room was lovely and the bed very comfortable! The staff at this hotel was very professional and extremely helpful and friendly. We loved the bamboo bar, and tried the restaurant spices garden which serves some very delicious Vietnamese food. We also did the hotel bunker tour which was very interesting. This hotel is a landmark!! Thank you legend metropole for treating us so special for our special occasion, we had a wonderful time!!!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
SLMHHanoi, Manager at Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear Hase1,

I thank you very much for your positive feedback. It is always a pleasure for us to hear satisfied guests as we genuinely love to look after them. We then look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 8 December 2013

My first impression from this hotel was far from great. I arrived in a shuttle from the Halong Bay cruise together with other people and even though we told the check in staff many times we weren't a party they still treated us as one group. When they finally got that we were individual parties they took really long time to check me in, and we walked between the new and old wings two times. I had a reservation for a room in the new wing, but was upgraded to the old wing. The room was really nice and the cleanliness and service level of the hotel was stunning. If you stay here for long, do the history walking tour where they take you to the bomb shelters of the hotel (featured on BBC World News)

Room Tip: Book the old wing for the genuine touch
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
SLMHHanoi, Manager at Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi, responded to this review, 8 December 2013
Dear Hagander,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi. Your feedback is extremely important as it enables us to continually improve our service and provide a memorable experience to our valued guests. We sincerely regret the issue that you had during check-in with group guest. This is not typical of our standards of service, and we regret the inconvenience that it caused you. Please rest assured that we have addressed this issue with team to avoid it from happening in the future.

We hope that you will present us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

MA
Reviewed 6 December 2013

It was a neat experience, with all the bonjour, bonsoir and neat French breakfast. We stayed in the Metropole wing and had a room facing the wall :( it felt like I am visiting my grandparent's house. They moved us the next day to the street side it was different with all the beeping noise from the street early in the morning. My wife liked the second, I would have rather stayed in the first. Heard there are much nicer rooms facing the garden but I guess we were not that lucky. We enjoyed the most the restaurants they were fabulous but as if the room I would give it a 4 star in respect to all the history... We stayed in the old quarter after we returned from Halong bay for the fraction of the price and funny enough we enjoyed it much better. So my advise stay here 1 night in your lifetime for the experience and only once.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear World_traveler_MA,

Please allow me to thank you for your kind words following your stay at our hotel and I felt very proud of all staff members when reading your message.

Hence the team and I look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Lima, Peru
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Stayed for 1 night only, arrived late and left early again but that was enough time to realize that this place is run properly. The reception staff was knowledgeable, efficient and was pro-active enough to understand quickly that I wasn't looking for that typical stereotype Sofitel treatment but a more casual approach. The cocktails created in the bar were amazing, they made a big show out of it and they tasted great! Room is comfortable, amenities well presented and requests were followed up on swiftly. 1 point for improvement though; the breakfast is certainly not the best I have had ... limited selection available, very Western.....could do better
all in all a great place to stay!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Gonzalez 17,

Thank you for sharing your experiences of our hotel on TripAdvisor. We are absolutely delighted to read your compliments on our staff and on the restaurant, but most of all, it a pleasure to read that you felt valued, happy and comfortable. We hope to welcome you back to Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi.

Kind Regards,

The Management team
Australia
Reviewed 4 December 2013

The Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi is a pristine hotel located in a prime spot of Hanoi, only being 700 metres away from the city centre. The hotel itself offers luxurious rooms and astounding views onto the road or garden (depends what side of the hotel you stay in). My room was situated to have a view onto the road and I found the balcony in the room to be marvellous, offering a gorgeous night time view of the main street and below restaurant as well as various shops.

The room is very spacious and sticks to a classic Vietnamese style with a touch of modern looks as well. The bathroom is very nice and the bathtub is great to relax in.
The staff were great and very helpful with all requests. The traditional wide sets of stairs leading up to levels along with a lift truly give this estate the traditional look that makes a positive impact on your stay.

The three restaurants offer a variety of food (French, Regional & International). My favourite was the dining area tucked away in the central garden as it offered a fantastic perspective of the garden and pool at night as well as a vast range of foods. Although the garden bars and restaurants were good I found the breakfast to be a tad disappointing with not a large enough range of foods.

The pool was very well maintained with great pool chairs and staff. I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Hanoi as it will enhance your experience in Vietnam as everything is so convenient and the hotel is well organised on the whole.

Room Tip: I would highly recommend getting a room that has a balcony overlooking the main street as it offers...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank maxamoh
SLMHHanoi, Manager at Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Dear Maxamoh,