“Elegant Oasis” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #41 of 578 Hotels in Hanoi
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Elegant Oasis”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

I absolutely loved the staff, the service, and the hotel itself. It feels like an oasis in bustling Hanoi. I enjoyed the dining options available and the location. Now, some caveats - the hotel is not on par with other hotel prices by Asian standards, but definitely worth it. The rooms are a bit small and cramped, but it is a factor of the hotel's historic layout. The food was also quite good whenever we decided to dine at the resort. Breakfast isn't something to write home about though, but its ok. Given those disclaimers, I still feel confident in saying that this is an excellent hotel and if visiting Hanoi, should definitely be considered.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
SLMHHanoi, Manager at Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear Globehopper79,

Thank you for your positive feedback.

Indeed every guest is important to us and we do our utmost to have him/her spend magnificent moments at Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi.

We look forward to many other visits of yours.

Franck Lafourcade

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,277)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel for a few days in the old quarter, which was so colonial looking and beautiful. The bathroom was very big and the bed was very comfortable (and I'm fussy with my beds). The staff were very polite and knowledgeable. The location is not too bad but it's not in the heart of all the action but Taxi's are soooo cheap that it's easy to get around. The pool is so nice and the piano bar was even nicer for an afternoon drink or after dinner. Great atmosphere. My only complaint was that the drinks (both by the pool and in the piano bar) were below average. I had half a dozen drinks over my stay, both alcoholic and non-alcoholic and found both were not very good. The buffet lunch at their restaurant Le Beaulieu is also very special.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the old quarter. The new quarter rooms look like any modern rooms in any hotel
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank DrNat78
Dear DrNat78,

I am really glad to hear that you have had a great time at Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi.

Your comment about the drink quality at the pool is well noted and I thank you for your feedback. I will then look into reviewing it with our food & beverage team.

We look forward to many other visits of yours.

Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

We have been living in Hanoi for the past 12 months so this was a "spoil ourselves" experience and we were not disappointed. From our 11am check in to our 4pm checkout the following day there was nothing to fault. All of the staff we encountered during our stay were unfailingly polite, efficient and helpful at all times. Our room, on the club level of the Opera wing, was superb, wonderful bathroom with hip bath, oversized shower, twin sinks and loads of counter space was a real joy as was the bedroom itself with excellent lighting throughout. The Metropole is situated in the wide boulevard, tree lined and less busy part of Hanoi but there are plenty of eateries offering every type of food imaginable within easy walking distance of the hotel and Hoan Kiem lake is just a 5 minute walk. We didn't use the pool and certainly it is small but if having a pool is the main reason for staying then choose somewhere else. This hotel is about history, excellence of service, wonderful furnishings, fantastic flower arrangements, beautiful food and cocktails in the Bamboo bar. We can't wait until we can find an excuse to spoil ourselves once again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Angela458
SLMHHanoi, Manager at Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Angela458,

I thank you very much for your positive feedback. It is always a pleasure for us to hear satisfied guests as we genuinely love to look after them. We then look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best regards,

Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

Let me say from the outset we are not always staying in 5 star hotels and thus my comments may be viewed from that standpoint. We have stayed in a few though and this is as good as any. Having said that the hotel provided what we expected. The service was excellent, the staff polite, the food and amenities very good. From our rooms to the restaurants and pool area we were very happy with the service. Any requests were met with immediate action and overall none of us could fault the place. In fact one incident said it all. At dinner one evening the wrong meal had been sent out out (clearly the waiter had selected the wrong item from the menu) once pointed out wait staff quickly acknowledged the mistake and rectified it straight away. In fact they offered complimentary desserts and coffee by way of apology. Not an issue for us but the fact that they quickly and professionally sorted it out speaks volumes for how the hotel is run. More than happy to come back here.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Paul D
Dear PaulD,

I am grateful to you for pointing out with so much praise about our high standards of service.

I am glad to hear that you have fully enjoyed the issue handling of our ambassadors in the restaurant as well as the food and hotel amenities.

We then look forward to welcoming you back.

Coffs Harbour, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

I don't know why this is so down the list.

Our stay here was for 1night in a club room in the new building, everything outstanding from the club lounge, food and the evening drinks menu was best I have seen, you also could eat breakfast from any of the restaurants. Special mention to our butler thank you.

Our corner club room which we had 3A wow, just blew me away, every thing was 5stars in this room it even had a bath with claw feet. also the grounds and the pool, this is one very special place. and our stay was not long enough.
All the staff are fantastic and make your stay very memorable,

Location is good, it is a quick walk to the bridge and the old quarter is not too far away.

I cannot wait to return to this very magical hotel.

Room Tip: Club corner room
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Gator0017
Dear Gator0017,

Thank you for sharing with us your recent experience at the Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi. I am very pleased to hear about your general satisfactory experience at our hotel and your kind words are most gratifying and have been shared with the whole team. This will certainly motivate them to keep up the good work.

We are absolutely delighted to read your compliments on our staff at the Club Floor and Club Services as well as hotel location.

The entire team wants to thank you for your grand words and is looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Seria, Brunei Darussalam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

Fantastic place right in the middle of Hanoi, bringing back style, charm, great service and history in one unique hotel. We loved the food that is served at breakfast and in the restaurant. An oasis of peace and class right in the middle of busy Hanoi...

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
1 Thank Age F
Dear AgeF,

It was a pleasure welcoming you at Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi. I thank you for your feedback and special mention of our excellent location, charm, great service and food.

We are also delighted that you enjoy the hotel oasis of calm and thank you for sharing your experience to other TripAdvisor surfers.

We are looking forward to your next visit.

Hong Kong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

The last time I stayed here was in 1994. Recall a tranquil trip and fairly empty place. Very colonial at that time.

It has changed rather a lot. I would still recommend it absolutely as one of the great far east colonial hotels. It is also comparatively affordable, and a real hotel to boot - saying this by comparison to a lot of the others like Raffles (now disneyland, and not much more than a curiosity) or Oriental / Peninsula @ ~US$400 per night (at least). Our rate at US$200 was very reasonable. The place is magnificently maintained, and the staff do try hard to provide what they see as great service.

The main changes are several. They have overbuilt the place with new wings, rooms, and (as another few reviewers have mentioned) a wedding pavilion and extended coffee shop that more or less eats up the whole old garden area. Done very well, though, so it doesn't appear out of place. A practical consequence however is that the pool is now very overcrowded. It's a rather small pool, which was fine when they only had 50 or 60 rooms, but now with 200+, it is packed out from about 9 in the morning, and at any given time at least 20 or 30 people in it. Plus in our experience, a stout German woman relentlessly forcing her way through doing laps.

The historical bit is undeniably there, but they also do throw it up your nose at every opportunity. They have a "museum walk", it's on the menus as sidenotes, they have cocktails and entrees named after famous guests, etc., etc. It gets a little old.

The hotel itself is located in a wider-boulevarded, quieter area. Immediately outside, there aren't many shops, restaurants, etc. The main action you are looking for as a tourist in Hanoi is in the old quarter, which is a good 20 minute walk up the lake. No biggie, but don't expect immediate streetfront bustle in this area.

The staff - oddly the concierge(s) in particular - seem strangely unable to help out with any but the most common of requests. I was looking for a western-type deli or supermarket to buy provisions for the train trip to Saigon. They were totally unable to help. Had no clue which seems very odd. Did try rather hard to tell me the hotel could provide me anything I wanted, but a 1925 Maugham picnic wasn't what I was after (a la internet, I found what I wanted anyway). Another time, I was asking them where on the map was Ly Van Phuc (the grilled chicken street), and they more or less told me not to go there because as a white guy it wasn't for me and I probably would get sick (>_<). There were a few other examples. Mollycoddling expensive white tourists seems to be their stock in trade, and they gave me the impression they weren't at all happy if you wanted to do something off-piste.

The double croque monsieur on the room service menu was a new one on me, and was excellent for two. Worthwhile curiosity. The rooms are sumptuous and lovely.

Taxi from airport into town was easy, they all had a meter, and we paid about VND380k. Ditto meter from hotel to train station, which was only 10 mins, $80k. We did find Hanoi to be rather resoundingly dour, communist, and northern; while a lot of it was certainly very picturesque and old, it's not old in a Parisian let's use it today way, but rather in a sort of crumbling because we don't care way. Two nights would certainly be enough.

Room Tip: Get the old wing.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
2 Thank HKguy
SLMHHanoi, Manager at Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear HK Guy,

Thank you for sharing with us your feeling following your recent stay at Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi.

I take on board your comment about the concierge team who provided you with information about the train trip or the local dining addresses. It is not a true reflection of our normal standards and level of service that we pride ourselves with and we will look into further training for our team.

Thank you very much and best regards,