“A truly special hotel”

Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi
Ranked #45 of 595 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We spent one night at the Sofitel and were blown away at how lovely this hotel is. From the elegant check-in staff to the very helpful pool staff, you can tell quality customer service is very important to everyone who works there. We had a room in the Opera Wing which was modern and very comfortable - albeit a smallish room. We had a twin room and the beds are very close together, and could be awkward unless you are travelling with someone you're comfortable with. We had a drink and spring rolls by the pool and they were sensational. The pool is big and great way to escape the Hanoi heat. This isn't a cheap hotel but it really is a special place to spend a night or two. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
SLMHHanoi, Manager at Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Dear Sydsouth,

Thank you for sharing your experience.

I am glad that you appreciated great front desk services, swimming pool and our delicious food.

There are newer reviews for Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi

Reviewed 14 July 2014

I enjoyed my stay at this lovely hotel - the service was great, and always with a smile. The breakfast buffet had variety and was delicious. the room and bed were comfortable. The only downside was the noise - I could hear noise from people in the halls as well as what sounded like construction outside, which was unexpected as my room overlooked the courtyard and not the street.

Room Tip: Stay in the historic (Opera) wing for the charm and character
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Smilintraveler,

Thank you for your great feedback following your recent stay at Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi.

I regret about the noise coming from the corridor and will ensure that on future stays we will do our upmost to provide a room far from the corridor which are more friendly to our light sleeper travellers and also a room away from any potential noise.

Could you advise us with your room number so we could update your profile at h1555-gm3@sofitel.com?

Reviewed 13 July 2014

This hotel looks like a property out of the 1920's. The property is elegant, sophisticated and elegant. We loved the experience. The staff is courteous and most professional. The biggest negative is some of equipment didn't work properly (as in the sink drain in my room.). The property is in close proximity of many local attractions. The breakfast was great but maybe too much was provided. The hotel has much history so take one of the two guided tours available daily.

Room Tip: Ask for view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
SLMHHanoi, Manager at Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear Woodmister,

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to inform us of your recent experience in our hotel. It is always encouraging for us to learn that our guests are satisfied with our services as it is what we strive for everyday.

Your comment about the sink drain in your room is well noted and I will have my director of engineering look into it immediately. May I have your room number please?

Thank you very much and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We were able to take advantage of the reduced summer rates and loved every minute of our time here. Staff was very friendly, room was perfect, hotel is gorgeous. What a great getaway! Recommend the club package and breakfast included. Everyone told us to stay at the Sofitel and we've never enjoyed a hotel so much!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear travel444444,

Thank you very much for your kind feedback. We truly appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts with us, and we are delighted that our services and accomodation have pleased you. Each day, we do strive to provide only the finest experiences for our guests.

Best regards,

Reviewed 13 July 2014

This is an outstanding hotel in a sea of chaos that is Hanoi . Most of you like us are probably here on the way to or from Ha Long Bay . It is an extremely well appointed stop over. Fabulous service with luxurious rooms . A nice pool with outdoor bar to relax by and plenty of old world French history . Even a bomb shelter from the Vietnam war underneath that is accessible and part of a tour. Only place I will stay in Hanoi in future

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Aussiedarkhorse,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback. I am happy to hear you consider us as the only place to stay in Hanoi.

Our utmost reward is to read our guests satisfaction. The team and I are grateful to you for taking the time to drop some extremely positive words about your experience at Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi.

My Team and I look forward to your return visit to our property.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

I stayed in the hotel for 10 days in July 2014 - it was meant to be 14 but I decided to check out early as I was appalled at the way I was treated. On arrival they took a 2-week deposit which is frozen in your account so you can't use then they insisted that I pay the full bill every week. I couldn't do that as I needed the credit on my credit card for a 5-week stay in Vietnam. The combination of big frozen deposits and bills would mean I would be out of money by week 4. I explained my situation to the Duty Manager but he refused to budge and then sent me a threatening letter under my door!

I was amazed as I'm a Gold Card Member with Sofitel and stay 50+ nights a year with Sofitel. I was told that it was nothing to do with me just policy of the hotel - so I checked out.

Shame as it's one of the best Hotels I've stayed at so make sure you only stay a day or so.

Room Tip: The old side of the hotel is better as it's traditional and has a strong colonial ambience.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
9  Thank Keith Ashley J
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Another delightful 5 D stay this time in a suite in the new wing at this top notch hotel. Since we had visited Hanoi previously we spent more time enjoying this "Old Dame". Service, food, comfort, decoration,all was up to our high expectations. If you can go for the Club level rooms/ suites, you won't regret it. Aside from all the above the charm is everywhere. The hotel is a destination in itself.
One needs to spend some time to carefully choose the type of room which suits you as there are quite a number of them. We visited some rooms/suites facing the street and they were quiet at the time: true nobody was honking but they have done a great job with the soundproofing of the windows.
The italian restaurant Angelina has great pastas/ risotto and we discovered at Beaulieu the Lobster Bisque: the preparation in front of your eyes is quite a show!
Only issue was the lone guy smoking cigar on a lounge chair by the pool and forcing all the others around him to "enjoy".Need to have a separate area for the very very few smokers.
Overall, clearly THE place to stay in Vietnam where history meets sophistication and charm.
We''ll be back to this Legend soon !

Room Tip: In our opinion if you choose the old wing, it may be wiser to ask for a room on the street. On one s...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank duvilla

Dear duvilla,

Thank you for so much praise in your magnifique feedback. Indeed we try our utmost to satisfy all guests requests and even beyond their expectations.

I thank you also for pointing out our highest standards of service throughout the hotel.

We truly look forward to welcoming you back soon.