“Fantastic place to stay but keep away from school holidays”

Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi
Ranked #39 of 581 Hotels in Hanoi
Adelaide, Australia
“Fantastic place to stay but keep away from school holidays”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

This Hotel was fantastic - stayed in a Club Room and were looked after so beautifully by all of the staff - enjoyed the 24 hour butler service when ordering a pot of coffee at 6am and enjoyed the wonderful facilities of the Club Room for evening cocktails. Breakfasts were incredible - order what you need or pick and choose from the buffet or any restaurant in the hotel. Staff were very friendly, interested and caring in every aspect of the hotel. Restaurants served first class food and laundry looked after our clothes well. Only down side was the amount of small-ish children - the pool area was loud and busy with children jumping, splashing and squealing and considerable number of young children in the club room for evening drinks. Nonetheless, would definitely stay at this Hotel again.

Room Tip: Rooms are incredibly quiet - stayed in another upmarket hotel and transferred so feel qualified to c...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
SLMHHanoi, Manager at Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear JenMJ,

Thank you for sharing with us your feeling following your recent stay at Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi.

I take on board your comments on the children playing in the swimming pool and will have my pool team to remind them accordingly.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Franck Lafourcade

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,315)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We stayed at the hotel for 4 nights it was beautiful, the staff are amazing and the prove of the rooms where great. It was husbands birthday they made him a cake and left a card in the room and there would always be a nice surprise each time we went out for the day, the French restaurant served the most beautiful food and the staff could not of been any more helpful.
The hotel is in a great location where you can just walk the streets and see many things.

Room Tip: We booked a deluxe room but where upgraded at no cost,
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Leanne M,

Thank you for coming over to Sofitel Legend Metropole to celebrate your husband birthday. It has been a great pleasure to host and pamper you both at this occasion.

I thank you also for pointing out the surprise service provided to you all along your stay.

We look forward to your next visit.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 23 July 2014

One of the most stunning hotels I have ever stayed in. Both the exterior and interior have been very well maintained and it is obvious that Sofitel has spared little expense in its upkeep. This property has changed my perception of Sofitel tremendously.

The most impressive experience about this hotel was the impeccable service and how the staff go above and beyond for their guests.

The only downside to my stay was the boring food and small pool. The selection of wines was above average though.

I would recommend that guests immediately ask Front Desk/Concierge about the Bomb Shelter tour, which is below the pool bar. We were not able to visit as the tours were fully booked. I believe that there is only 1 tour per day at 1800 hours.

While I found Hanoi to be a tad boring, I had a truly memorable stay and I am looking forward to visiting Hanoi just to stay in this property again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank ziKiQ
Dear ZikiQoTu,

I am truly grateful for your feedback. It was a real delight hosting you at Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi.
It has been a great pleasure and honor to meet your expectations in terms of level of services.
I am happy that you enjoy our wonderful building, great facilities and the history being retained in style and the interesting bunker tour. I am looking forward to your next visit.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 23 July 2014

It is the best hotel to stay at while in Hanoi. The rooms are well done and the beds very comfortable. The bathrooms are spacious and nice. The service is great and the breakfast buffet is amazing! I recommend waking up earlier than you need to so that you can take your time and fully enjoy your breakfast here. And their signature cocktails are quite delicious and unique. I especially enjoyed the “Pho” cocktail. Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear YJT,

Thank you for recommending our hotel to other Tripadvisor surfers. We are delighted to hear you had a great time at Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi and enjoyed our excellent breakfast and delicous and unique signature cocktails.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Stayed at the Sofitel Legend Metropole for two nights in June 2014 with my girlfriend, and it was excellent. When booking, I hemmed and hawed a lot over the historic wing vs. the opera (new) wing. Both were reported to be very good, with the historic wing just nominally more expensive. I chose the historic wing and while I can't compare it to the opera wing (not having been in the rooms), we were very, very happy. The high ceilings in the room and classical decor were smartly complemented by the updated bath/shower.

The Metropole made us feel like we were in a period-piece movie, and why not -- Graham Greene (author of "the Quiet American") stayed there, along with a long list of notables. The service was attentive without being intrusive, which can be a tricky balance.

If staying at the Metropole (heck, even if you're NOT staying there), do not miss the breakfast buffet. The buffet has a nice balance of western food/Asian food. My girlfriend could not stop raving about the almond croissants, which she declared to be the best she'd ever eaten. The croissant actually seemed more like an almond tart with croissant pastry covering it, but regardless it was pretty amazing -- so much so that when we swung through Hanoi on a later leg of our trip, we had to stop by the L'Epicerie Du Metropole (between the old and new wings) for more almond croissants.

All this charm and luxe, for a remarkably reasonable price. I recommend staying here to all my friends and family.

Room Tip: I really liked the old world charm of the Historic Wing, facing the street -- I didn't find it n...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gavin D
Dear HNLSuite,

It was a pleasure welcoming you at Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi. I thank you for your feedback and special mention of our excellent service and quality of breakfast.

We look forward to welcoming you back and thank you for sharing your experience to other TripAdvisor surfers.

We are looking forward to your next visit.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We only spent one night in this hotel but loved every minute from the excellent airport pick up to our drop off again the next day with complimentory coffee and fresh croissants in the car.

It was like a trip in the past but with all modern comforts.

Staff very nicely dressed and friendly. Beautiful floors and furniture, lots of details to admire and pictures to look at.

I liked the great choice in restaurants, great food French, Vietnames! italian. Lovely yet pricey boutique shops.

Nice pool area and bar, the pool is not big but the setting is lovely and good service.

I enjoyed staying here very much. Unfortunately Bill Clinton just checked out hours before my arrival...

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Hester020,

Thank you for so much praise in your magnifique feedback. Indeed we try our utmost to satisfy all guests requests and even beyond their expectations.

I thank you also for pointing out our highest standards of service throughout the hotel.

We truly look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Canaan, NY
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Hanoi is a noisy, congested, stressful city to visit (and exciting, too), so having a place to stay where everything is easy and tranquil and comfortable is a real plus. By Vietnamese standards, the Metropole is far from cheap, but it makes everything else about your stay more enjoyable. I'm a finicky traveler, but I could find nothing about this hotel -- not one toothpick -- that I could possibly rate as anything but excellent. It's just a superb, warm, beautiful place to stay. I'd fly back to Hanoi just to stay here again.

Room Tip: The old wing is by far the most quaint and historic. I prefer to stay there, because I like the peri...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear TonyPNY,

We would like to thank you for sharing this wonderful review regarding your stay at Sofitel Legend Metropole. It is an absolute honour to read your lovely words about my team.

We are very proud to have loyal guests just like you who are always enjoying their stay and who are looking forward to their return to The Hotel.

The entire team looks forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!