“"Soft landing" indeed”

Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi
Ranked #46 of 600 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I rarely give 5 stars - but it was hard to come up with a reason not to.

The Metropole is tasteful and pleasing in every detail, from the thoughtfulness of supplying both warm/cuddly and light/slinky dressing gowns to chose from, to the super fine mist taking the edge off the Hanoi heat in the outdoor cocktail area (incidentally, the lychee, pineapple, mint, lime & vodka cocktail is one of the most refreshing things I have ever drunk... though it will set you back around 30 times the cost of a locally made beer nearby).

The hotel feels somehow small & intimate, though it isn't. The décor throughout the hotel is absolutely beautiful, and very evocatively Vietnamese in feel - not your usual bland hotel fare at all. There are enormous flower arrangements everywhere and pretty fairy lights in the garden. The rooms are comfortable and pleasing to the eye, and a wide range of quality bathroom products is provided.

Staff are exquisitely dressed in traditional Vietnamese garb (long white silk dresses and little hats), and the service is top notch. They have a "no tipping" policy, but in my opinion it's a policy that should be ignored! Remember that you are a wealthy traveller living the life of Riley (even if only for a night) and the staff here really do bend over backwards to make your stay perfect.

The tariff is quite high by Vietnamese standards, but if you're from many other parts of the world it will be far superior to anything you'll experience back home for the same price. (We paid roughly the equivalent of a basic 3-4 star hotel in Sydney for a suite here). This is one of the world's classic hotels and I do recommend you stay here while in Vietnam if you can. We stayed two nights before slipping out into the real world.

When I told my boss of our plans he said "Ahh... The Metropole - that's a nice soft landing" - and it certainly was.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the historical wing
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Wonderlust74
SLMHHanoi, Manager at Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Wonderlust74,

thank you for your detailed, very personal feedback.

I was extremely pleased to read the summary of your comment in such words of praise. We genuinely put a lot into exceeding our guests expectations and I am truly glad to hear that we have achieved our aim with you.

Thank you for recommending us so well.

Franck Lafourcade

Write a ReviewReviews (6,617)

Reviewed 19 August 2014

I have spent two wonderful nights in this hotel surrounded by luxury, charm, comforts, unparalleled service, great hospitality standard and fantastic stay. The rooms are greatly cared in details and fitted with luxury. There is Excellency in every aspects. In restaurants and reception including in room service ice and restaurant recreational areas. I just think this is a great choice

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank jfjlawai

Dear Jfjlavai,

I thank you very much for your positive feedback. It is always a pleasure for us to hear satisfied guests as we genuinely love to look after them. We then look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

It is truly superb hotel in term of history, location and facilities. I stayed at this hotel 3 nights during my Vietnam business trip. Hotel is strategically located in the heart of old Hanoi, very easy to access to old town, Hoam Kiem Lake and other major attractions.

However there are some issues during my stay. I booked hotel Limo for airport transfer because I need a smooth check in and rush for a teleconference after arrival at hotel. However, seem there is miscommunication between check in, limo and booking staff. Staff did not expect my arrival. There are also two buildings (old and new), they both have separate check in counter. I was taken to the old wing but my room was in new wing. So I was late for my teleconference after all these delays.

I decide to give some feedback to duty manager next day regarding my limo and check in experience. The duty manager did not want to knowledge my experience and try to ask me " are you first time at our hotel?" Yes I was first time here at this hotel. Then he goes on telling me " we always bring our guest to old building". Really? So guest could drag luggages cross the hotel to new building and be late for the next meeting? It was very strange way dealing with complaint. I found the local Vietnamese staff are friendly and helpful but these international staff seem very superficial.

In the evening, I received a phone call from another manager apologised for my experience. She called me again next day, and invited me for a drink at bar. She told me she checked camera record and acknowledged what I said was true and again apologised for my experience. Thank you!

The hotel has this beautiful deli bakery on site. Food is great and you can charge everything into your room as well. Breakfast is good but nothing special. I also used gym and spa at hotel. It is pretty good and highly recommended.

My room is pretty good, wifi is free, bed is very comfortable, bathroom is in good condition. It is very good and expensive hotel, but I am not sure I want to come back again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank melbcollege

Dear Melbcollege,

First of all, I would like to thank you very much for sharing your feedback following your recent stay at Hotel Metropole Hanoi

We sincerely regret about your experience with the check-in process and with one of our duty managers. As for all first time guest in the hotel, we will welcome the guest in the historical wing of the hotel just to show them our historical and colonial feeling as well as the hotel architecture while we were not aware that you were going to be late for the teleconference.

We have shared your comment with our team and they understand and appreciate your sincere feedback. We will review the way we communicate with our guest to prevent it from happening in the future.

Again, please accept our apologies for the discomforts. We hope that you will consider staying at our hotel again so that we may show you the gracious hospitality and superb service for which we are known around the world.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 19 August 2014

We had a pleasant stay with excellent service received in our 2 days stay.
Staff were very attentive and exceedingly helpful.
Tasted the Sun Brunch at Le Bealieu and food was superby.
Food from the other 2 F & B outlets was good too!

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank Chong Joo N
SLMHHanoi, Manager at Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear Chong Joo N,

thank you for your feedback.

I am glad to hear that our staff members have fulfilled your expectations in terms of service.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank sally_519

Reviewed 18 August 2014

An absolutely beautiful hotel right in the middle of the city. The hotel itself is luxurious and the entire staff is friendly and helpful. The rooms are lovely and quiet and the pool is so relaxing. There is free wifi throughout the hotel.The location is also great as it's walking distance to the Hoan Kiem Lake and the old quarter. The hotel itself has an interesting story and they even do a tour of the history of the hotel as well as the bunker found underneath the hotel, it's a quick free tour which I would recommend.
Lounge access was helpful as they had a nice breakfast buffet along with tea time & cocktail hour which was great after a tiring day walking through Hanoi.
Overall we would love to stay here again on our next trip to Hanoi.

Dear Ash,

It was a great pleasure welcoming you at Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi. I thank you for your kind feedback and your special mention of our guest room and the hotel location.

We are happy that you enjoy the bomb shelter tour. Infact we are very proud of our historians in the hotel and the history tour we established for our hotel guests.
We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Legend Metropole certainly carries perfectly it's name. You can breathe the French grandeur and it seems that time has stopped during Colonialism, with all the modern facilities. The rooms and bathrooms immaculate and silent, the fitness center is very well furnished, clean and the staff is helpful. Service is excellent, Bamboo bar cocktails are worth forgetting diet as well as the amazing buffet breakfast.

Dear Valerie R,

I thank you for such excellent a feedback! We genuinely love to pamper all of our guests. It is therefore a great satisfaction for us to hear that you have had such a wonderful time with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in our centrally located hotel.