“Exceeded expectation.”

Ranked #39 of 586 Hotels in Hanoi
Alice Springs, Northern Territory, Australia
“Exceeded expectation.”
Reviewed 28 August 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed in this magnificent hotel with a group of friends. The building is a part of Hanoi's history and is perfectly situated for exploring the old quarter of the city of the new shopping malls. The service is impeccible, friendly and nothing is too much trouble. I celebrated my birthday whilst staying here and received a cake.
The buffet breakfast is substantial and caterers for all tastes. We will certainly stay here again. Highly recommend.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Julie R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,320)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 August 2014

This is my third time staying at the hotel. First time, in the historic wing, it was nice but I had internet problems. The second booking was in the opera wing. Very good experience. But this is the third and by far, out of the world experience. What I do need to disclose is that I am a brand new Accor member and when we checked in, they offered an upgrade to the 7th floor level (highest floor) for an extra $60 per night. The room was larger with a beautiful bathtub, complimentary breakfast, afternoon tea with snacks, evening cocktails/wine, butler service, pillow menu, use of iMacs in the club room, etc.

Hotel style: Colonial and luxurious. This is exactly what we had wanted.

Service: The staff was extremely nice and professional. The staff on the 7th floor were all young and knowledgeable. We opted to have breakfast every morning and lunch twice, in the Le Club restaurant. They remembered our names and what we like to drink. We had been in Vietnam for a few days and my significant other had wanted non-Vietnamese cuisine so we opted for the French restaurant. We both thought the food was OK and wine, very good.

Other: It turned out the hotel discovered a bomb shelter below the extension of the Bamboo Bar only two years ago... They offer daily tours at 5 and 6 PM, if you have time, it's nice option.

Transportation to hotel from airport: It's relatively easy to take a taxi from the airport to the hotel, cost is approximately 400,000 VND. Make sure you print the address of the hotel as our driver did not know the exact location.

Overall this is an amazing hotel and I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 7th floor on the Opera Wing which was absolutely amazing compared to the other...
1 Thank NYCKittyKat
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Generally prefer places with a more contemporary feel whereas this felt traditional/colonial. Nevertheless the sleep quality was good and services (especially the concierge) were excellent. Not sure would stay here if there is a next time

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David G
SLMHHanoi, Manager at Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear David G,

You have sum up all of our key assets and I thank you for such great a feedback. I am truly glad to hear that you have had an enjoyable experience with us. I look forward to welcoming you back.

Best regards,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We arrived to be escorted to the new wing executive suite. It seemed I had forgotten I'd chosen a better package when booking. What a pleasant surprise. Noted that several celebrities had stayed here and we felt as though we were as well. We had a butler, Nguyen Phue Hung greet us and then gave a mini tour. He was very helpful and arranged for a mini birthday celebration for my partner. Every box for exceeding expectations was ticked. The room was excellent, large and with a bathroom extending lengthways at the bottom end of the room. A lovely rainwater shower, his and hers sinks and a massive free standing bath. Being part of the executive suite we had the privilege of complimentary afternoon tea (2:30 - 4:30) and early evening drinks (5:30 - 7:30). Both providing a generous spread of small bites and plenty of drinks to choose from in the evening.

The breakfast was excellent, plenty of choice and catered to many nationalities. Try the pho, not a westerners usual breakfast, though we loved it and had it both mornings.

The gym is very good, of a decent size and a decent range of equipment for a hotel. The Spa was also very good and we made use of the sauna a few times.

The pool and adjacent bamboo bar is a lovely setting, if somewhat contained if you're trying to avoid the noise of excitable children.

In general the hotel setting, inside and within the grounds is very attractive. It reminded me of Raffles in Singapore, though less of a tourist attraction.

Overalls the service was excellent.

We hope we can return soon.

1 Thank Andrew C
Dear Andrewclark75,

It was a real pleasure reading such positive a feedback as yours and I thank you for that.

I will pass on your kind words to my teams which will serve as an encouragement to all of them to keep on providing high standard of services to all of our guests.

We look forward to your next visit to Sofitel Legend Metropole.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

I have stayed in so many hotels across multiple cities and have never been as charmed as I was with Sofitel Legend. I loved the beautiful old world design of the place - I constantly marveled at how I felt like I was living in a bygone colonial era.

But beyond just the decor, the service was truly topnotch and there's how Sofitel differentiates itself from the rest. Many hotels can easily buy beautiful furniture or bring in a smart designer, but after a while, they are just all the same faceless nameless hotels. The staff at Sofitel made me feel welcomed and warm and taken care of and (I have to admit) a little like the lady of a manor. From the service at breakfast to the concierge who introduced a pho place nearby and then remembered us and ask about it when we got back to the guide at the history tour of the hotel, the way they did it was classy, subtle and just so good!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Julie0870
Dear Julie0870,

I am truly grateful for your feedback. It was a real delight hosting you at Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi.

It has been a great pleasure and honor to meet your expectations in terms of level of services.

I am looking forward to your next visit.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We stayed at the Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi for the second time and the experience was even better than the first time. Everything at this hotel - the facilities, the rooms, the amenities, food and beverage and service - is top notch. First of all, the check-in process was very pleasant and smooth. While there were many people checking in when we arrived (around noon local time), we were able to wait on the sofas while our hostess took care of everything. They also had our room ready even though we arrived early (which contrasts greatly from other establishments where we actually get our room sometimes AFTER the designated check-in time).

We booked an Opera Wing room this time and actually preferred it to the historical wing room we had last time. Yes, the historical room felt grand and historical, but I like the brighter Opera wing. Rooms are well-equipped with one of the most comfortable hotel beds we have slept in. Only complaint is the size of the room (which is the same as the historical wing) is slightly small. The turn down service every night is amazing - they provide freshly baked mini goodies from the bakery!

The hotel is well-located right next to the lake and walking distance to the old quarter, where we spent most of our time sampling all the amazing street food Hanoi has to offer. As many people know, Hanoi is quite chaotic and it was great to be able to retreat to the calm oasis of the hotel and spend some time by the pool and poolside bar. The free inroom wifi was a nice touch, but the connection was slow at times. We did not eat at the hotel during this stay, but had the brunch buffet during our last stay and the food was great!

This hotel is the reason why our trip to Hanoi was so relaxing and memorable. Cannot wait to stay here again on our next visit to Hanoi!

Room Tip: If possible, choose a room facing the courtyard/pool, as you can hear the traffic (especially the in...
2 Thank Denise S
Dear Denise S,

Thank you for all of your complimentary and kind words regarding our high standard of services. We genuinely have a passion for all of our guests and I am glad that they can feel it like you did.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my wife and three young children aged 4, 7 and 10. I have travelled to around 40 countries and honestly cannot recall having experienced better service. From the beginning of your stay where you are warmly greeted by the smartly dressed bell boys and concierge, to the butler's detailed introduction to your room (including a pillow menu, Hermes bathroom products and fresh macaroons), to the wonderful pool and restaurants and club lounge and finally excellent food, you are made to feel like royalty. We were lucky enough to have a suite which we needed to accommodate the family which also gave us access to the Club Lounge (which I highly recommend, particularly the complimentary daily happy hour and afternoon tea) and a dedicated butler 24 hours a day.

My only criticisms are the price, but you do get what you pay for, and that the hotel is so good that it stops you from seeing the city as you don't want to leave!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Stuart G
Dear Stuart,

It is really rewarding for us to hear positive feedbacks from our guests and I thank you for taking the time to share your satisfaction on TripAdvisor website.

Our priority is to have all of our guests have a magnifique experience at Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi I am proud of my whole team who have met your expectations in terms of high quality of services.

We look forward to your next visit.