“one of the highlights of the trip!”

Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi
Ranked #45 of 599 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed 24 August 2009

service is perfect. one of the best concierge experiences i've had. the service extended to me has surpassed my expectaions for the sofitel brand. i am proud to say that thanks to the professional front office team, i experienced less hiccups on my trip that would otherwise have spoilt the trip. i will definitely return with my partner if the only thing to do was to stay at the hotel. it is indeed an experience on its own.

the location is also just on the outskirts of the old quarter. either a short cyclo or taxi ride away. no shortage of food outlets in and around the hotel...

the rooms were beautiful... personalized welcome card signed off by GM, turn down amenities(chocos and macrons), l'occitane toiletries(standard in sofitel chains), nice thick fluffy sheets. nice parquet floors , and also silk bathrobes. what not to like.

keep up the good work sofitel!

Reviewed 20 August 2009

Stayed one night only with the girlfriend and it was tip-top. The room was fantastic and they gave us one with a small balcony over the street outside, just opposite from the Somerset Maughn suite - gf has good upgrade juju. Service was impeccable and when I called for an ice bucket there was an ice bucket at the door in about 3 minutes flat. Nice for the cold vodka tonics on the balcony.

The room was great, I am a bit of a cheap git but this was well worth the money. The bed in particular was one of the best I've slept in, we spent a bit of time in that.

We had lunch after the drive from Ha Long bay by the pool and it was nice, if a bit pricey (5 star so I accept that). Pool was a bit on the small side populated by European families sunbathing - don't get that. You are in Hanoi! Get out! Walk around! Anyway...

Breakfast on the morning we left was very good (costly!) and check out was quick and easy - always nice.

When booking, book the "Heritage" wing rather than the Opera Wing. I booked on the Sofitel website and paid 2 weeks in advance so got a good rate of a little over USD200 per night. Finally, great posh restaurant is under the Opera House about 100 m away, forgot the name.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JeremyCraig
Reviewed 15 August 2009

The Sofitel is without doubt a beautiful hotel - gorgeous architecture harking back to eras past. The rooms are immaculate and incredibly comfortable. I was therefore left feeling disappointed by the service levels we received.

On arrival - we waited to check in for over 30 minutes - being left feeling forgotten in the reception. The whole check-in process seemed chaotic and the team did not seem to have the process under control - granted, it was busy, but with a hotel of this caliber I would have been expected to have been treated a lot better. On departure we were charged for services we did not use which we had to get the team to look into, which they were reluctant to do. The check out took too long as well.

Staff through our stay ranged from being excellent to poor - so I do not want my comments to reflect badly on those team members who were excellent. It seemed to be mostly the reception staff who seemed to lack a certain service level.

So, all-in-all, a mixed experience - some things I loved, but hindered by a fluctuating service level - something, which living in Asia, I have come to expect from 5* hotels.

My visit was over a year ago, so things may have improved. But I hope these are comments which can help the management to bring service levels up and keep visitors returning to enjoy the beautiful location.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank lcg79
Reviewed 13 August 2009

I stayed in this hotel on 8 - 11 August on their Club Floor room. The Club Floor room is definitely worth the extra money, with afternoon tea and evening cocktail serving unlimited flow of champagnes.

Words can't describe how beautiful the hotel is. The setting of the hotel is an excursion by itself. The swimming pool, the pool side bar, the branded gallery shops within the hotel premises and not to mention the rose petal bath at night in your french clawfooted bathtub is the ultimate relaxation after a day out in the bustling city of Hanoi.

If you can afford it, choose the Club Floor room over the normal historical room you will not regret it. The staffs on the Club Floor go all the way out to serve you and your own personal butler catering to your every whim.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank Omphaloskepsis
Reviewed 6 August 2009

We stayed here on our honeymoon. We had just flown from Ireland and were very tired so it was the ideal hotel to stay in. So comfy, so central and fabulous service. As with most 5 star hotels the prices for everything was up on the surrounding restaurants and bars, but still nice to sample. The breakfast was not included in our package but we did get it every morning out of convenience ( I am terrible without food first thing ). It was nice but nothing to write home about. I would highly recommend this hotel for a step up on luxury.

Reviewed 3 August 2009

My Wife and I stayed at the Sofitel Metropole during our Honeymoon in Dec 2008. We were lucky enough to have been upgraded to the "Club Metropole" section of the Hotel by a friend of mine who works at Accor hotels (parent company of the Sofitel).
The Club Metropole experience is out of this world. When we arrived we were taken to the Club Metropole reception (Level 7, I believe) where we were greeted by the registrations team and offered cocktails and refreshements upon our arrival. We were shown the (VIP) Club Metropole lounge where they serve the complimentary; Buffet Breakfast, High Tea (with chocolate buffet) (from 3-4pm) and cocktails (from 5-6pm). We were also allocated our own personal Butler and once our reservation was completed, we were shown to our room.
The room was enormous, with a large Bed, study desk and gigantic bathroom complete with bathtub, separate shower, toilet. There is also a walk in wardrobe... amazing! We stayed in Room 543 which is one of the larger rooms towards the end of the wing. Our view was overlooking the pool.
We also walked around the rest of the Hotel to compare the different wings and honestly, I can say that the Club Metropole section was by far the best. We had such a great time that we didnt want to leave the comfort of our VIP lounge, what with all the cakes, cocktails and comfy chairs... When we did it was to catch the water puppets show which our Butler secured our A class seats. Ahh the life!
If you are lucky enough to stay at in the Club Metropole section of the Hotel, you will love it!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rene_Velasquez
Reviewed 1 August 2009

We spent a few days of our honeymoon in Hanoi at the Metropole Hanoi. In our opinion, there is no other place to stay while in Hanoi. For a city setting, this is the nicest, most elegant, hotel I've ever stayed at. Worth every penny we paid.
I had originally booked a regular room in the Historic Wing, but upon arrival was upgraded to the "Club Metropole" in their newer Opera Wing. I was originally unsure about this as everyone told me that the Historic Wing was much nicer and had all of the history. As long as you are part of the Club Metropole in the new wing (top 3 floors)...just check out the Historic Wing and stay in the Club Metropole Rooms.
As a Club Metropole guest, they bring you to a private VIP Club for welcome drinks and you are then given a 24 hour butler service and unbelievably attentive staff. Our room was very spacious and had every amenity you could require. With Club Metropole status each day you were given complimentary breakfast, non alcoholic drinks all day, alcoholic drinks before dinner, and all of this in a very exclusive setting. The rest of the hotel guests aren't allowed to use these facilities.
Hanoi as a city is not for everyone, but we did have a good time. The chaos of the city driving is a bit overwhelming at first and the 45 minute drive from the airport is not a good way to start your trip. Trying to cross the streets reminds me of the Atari video game "Frogger" as you try to safely get your way across.
Although it seemed crazy at first, we wound up touring most of the city on the back of mopeds and loved it. After a few minutes of getting used to it, you will see the traffic is organized chaos and you feel rather comfortable being on the back of the moped. Was a perfect way to see everything. Make sure you agree on the price before you get on any transportation!!! It will cause problems if you don't.
I would recommend seeing Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum and Stilt house, but skipping the Museum. Go to Truc Bach Lake where John McCain landed in the water as well as Hao Lo Prison where he and others were detained. A little disturbing as the Vietnamese view of the POW's experience is a bit skewed from the American view.
A MUST DO for those who like antiques or want to learn more about the Vietnamese people is to check out 54 Traditions on Han Bun. (The Metropole can tell you where). The store is owned by Dr. Mark Rapaport who is a transplanted New York doctor who knows more about Vietnamese antiquities and culture than probably most Vietnamese. He walked us around his store for literally 2 hours explaining every piece and the people behind it. We bought several items that were fairly priced and got an education that was worth the money we spent alone.
Take a cyclo to the Old Market, but walk around once you get there. You have to be in the right mood as it is definitely not for the faint at heart. It's like NYC's Chinatown on steroids. You can get some good bargain souvenirs, but mostly not things we had interest in buying.
Overall, the Metropole Hanoi is our favorite city hotel in the world and the Club Metropole is an unbelievable idea and experience. The elegance of the hotel and the feeling as though you've stepped back in time was a wonderful escape from the hustle and bustle of the city. Spend the few extra dollars to stay in the Metropole vs. anywhere else. As you will see when you get there, all you have to say is Metropole and the people will say " Oh, #1" in vietnamese accent.

1  Thank order23