“Good bolt hole away from the motor cycles” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pan Pacific Hanoi

Pan Pacific Hanoi
Ranked #79 of 578 Hotels in Hanoi
Newport, South Wales
“Good bolt hole away from the motor cycles”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2009

Just the sort of hotel you need to escape from the frenzied motor cyclists of Hanoi. Good rooms, helpful staff, but a bit far from the city centre (a good 30 mins walk). Restaurants, particularly the Chinese, disappointing.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Asia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2009

Hotelier myself since more of two decades now, I always try to be fair in my judgement however i must say the true and how I was so disappointed by the Management of this property especially by the General Manager and the Director of Rooms.

During my first sta therey, it took more of 50 minutes to change the batteries of the safety deposit box in my room with a total of 6 persons including the Director of Security and the Director of Engineering (certainly they wanted to provide me a kind of VIP treatment and welcome!!!!).
My room was at the Executive Floor and it is quite obvious to confirm that the room was not inspected by Housekeeping prior to my arrival.

During my second stay, at my arrival at the hotel, I forgot and left in the taxi from the airport my Iphone, quite new expensive toy in Viet Nam at this time, realizing just few minutes after my arrival my stupid mistake, I asked to the Executive Floor to contact their Security department and to report it.
The executive Floor team completely lost and after repeating many times I forgot the precious toy in the taxi, the finally called Security.
I called several times my number but for sure nobody pick up my call.
Finally after 30 minutes, the Director of Rooms came to ask me some additional questions (between us totally useless as: why I left my phone in the taxi.?...)
Starting to lose my patience after one hour spend for nothing, I asked them if it will be possible thru their CCTV system to check my arrival, to get the taxi registration and to contact the taxi company.
No one from the Management got or proposed me this possibility, quite a shame for some professionals who are pretending working in hospitality and services industry.

After 20 minutes, the General Manager (French national) came to meet me in the lobby, trying to minimize the problem, he escorted to me to their control room of the hotel where is located all the system of security of the hotel.
Unfortunately after more of 45 minutes of waiting and talking for nothing, the General Manager confirm me that they have a technical problem with the camera requested and they cannot read the registration of the car (problem of zooming as per he said)....

In total I spent more of 2 hours for nothing, trying to explain my disappointment to the General Manager, he replied to me in a very rude way a kind of it is not my problem/business...

These last words was certainly the cherry on the top of the cake for the day, I decided to leave this place in a second...

Thank you very much Mr the General Manager for your great help, for sure you impressed me....
in the poorest way you can imagine...

• Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Chrisinasia
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2009

Lovely hotel with indoor pool. Several places to eat in the hotel- good but pricey. However location is such that you do need to eat in the hotel. Summit bar has great views across Hanoi.
The walk to the old city is about 30 minutes.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank spendingpension
saint pierre
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2009

This is a very good hotel, the rooms are not very large but the bathroom is just perfect. I advice you to take the rooms situated on the upper floors,. The staff is very polite and helpfull and the food just amazing, will return for sure.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Caloundra, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2009

The Sofitel Plaza in Hanoi was a nice place to pamper oneself for a few days. We usually travel in the low- mid range hotel types but had this hotel pre booked by our friends. At just over $100 AUD a night it was affordable luxury and a nice change (for a while at least) to our normal digs.
But we can only stay in places like this for a short while, and after we came back from Halong Bay we stayed in the centre of Hanoi at a much cheaper, and much, much more atmospheric hotel and surrounds, which brought us back to our senses and sanity.
I'd recommend this hotel to those who want to indulge, or those who are used to the finer class of travel, as this place would be their haven after negotiating the chaotic world that is Hanoi.

• Stayed July 2007, travelled with friends
Peterborough, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2009

We stayed in this hotel after coming back to Hanoi from Ha Long. We had already stayed in the city centre at the Hilton, so choose this hotel to see some of the sites slightly north of the city centre.

The hotel was spotless, well maintained, with very friendly staff. One highlight is the bar at the top of the hotel that allows magnificent views across the city, and even has outside seating.

The location is only a short walk from the mausoleum, a number of temples, and plenty of restaurants for a good evening out. If you want to go further the concierge was helpful in arranging reliable taxis, which cost the same as any other taxi in Hanoi.

Hanoi is a great place to visit and I would recommend this hotel for anybody that doesn’t have to stay right in the middle of the city.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
Brisbane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2009

We stayed here for the first week of January in Club rooms, which I strongly recommend; ourselves, a couple in our 60s, and my son, his wife and their five year old daughter. I am struggling for anything to mar the memory of our stay but there is nothing. Absolutely perfect !!

The service, food and ameties were all impeccable and what you would greatly desire in all hotels of this class. The smiling ever-responsive staff are a credit to themselves and the hotel's training. Our Granddaughter had her fifth birthday while we were there and will probably never forget the singing choir bringing her a strawberry-cream birthday cake for BREAKFAST.

The view alone is more than worth the stay. A magic vista over two lakes and, from some points, also the Red River. And the huge heated glass-roofed pool is great fun in a Hanoi winter.

Christy thanks for all your help.

We will be back and so will our Grandaughter.

• Liked — View
  • Disliked — A little far from town but only by 5 minutes or so
  • Stayed May 2008
      Check-in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)